PDA

View Full Version : Which smartphone next after my S3

jhw
05-07-2015, 04:24 PM
My S3 has given great service but its getting clunkier and slower all the time.

I need to do a firmware reset every three months now to keep it in some semblence of smooth operation.
I force close all the Apps every 2-3 days but it doesnt improve matters much.

Id like to hang on to it but I cant workout whats slowing it down and or how to restore its former blazing speed when I first bought it.
Apart from Gmail, FB, Camera, Gallery, Flighradar24 and a few other minor Apps, I cant workout whats slowing it down.

So,if I were seeking a replacement, whats available that matches the specs of my S3 without spending mega bucks. The new phone must have the capibility of acting as a Mobile Hotspot, without spending mega bucks.

Any suggestions please.

Nick G
05-07-2015, 05:00 PM
What's your budget?

Every phone these days can be a mobile hotspot, and even a half decent one will have specs that equal the S3. $250-300 will get you a Moto G 2nd gen, or the 4G version of the 1st Gen.

$400 can get you a Galaxy S4

$500-600 can get a LG G3, or a OnePlus One.

Depends on how much you want to spend :)

DeSade
05-07-2015, 05:11 PM
I also have a S3 and the latest "S" does not do it for me, its crap
Not keen on the iPhone either.

I saw this one and it might be a goer.

http://www.turingphone.com/

jhw
05-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Is there a comparison website where you can tick the options you would like, then see what meets those critera and price.

Nick G
05-07-2015, 05:21 PM
www.pricespy.co.nz

dugimodo
05-07-2015, 10:40 PM
the FB app is a killer and you can use the mobile website anyway so just remove it. S3 is still pretty good really and should be smooth. Just restarting every few days can make a big difference.
I went from an S3 to a 2nd hand Note 3 and it is silky smooth, I'm really very happy with it. I think it handles android 5.0 better than some devices thanks to the 3GB of RAM.

Every time a new high end phone comes on the market you can usually find last years model cheap 2nd hand from all the early adopters. When you compare a note 3 to a note 4 though there are only a few minor improvements.

Chilling_Silence
06-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Two phones, depending on your budget:
< $500 go for a Moto G 2014 model. They're ~$270 and absolutely amazing value-for-money!
> $500 go for an Xperia Z3. I regularly go through phones (Roughly one every 2-3 months, long story) and have tried everything from the latest Samsungs to Sony to HTCs One series... The Z3 is ~9 months since release but I would still hands-down take it over any other phone in the market, without a doubt!!

BBCmicro
07-07-2015, 01:27 PM
$500 go for an Xperia Z3

Have to agree the Z3 is a great phone. I've got the Compact version which was on special in Jan for $499

The Z3 keeps surprising me with its features. For instance it will play from ordinary-type USB sticks. The micro-USB port has dual host-device capability and Sony provides a 150mm adaptor cable for playing USB sticks. I think the adaptor cable comes with the phone. (Won't play from USB3 though. Says stick is 'damaged')

Today I have a guest coming round and wanted to show some 4k home-videos on our Sony TV (which is only full HD). The Z3 connected easily to the (Netgear PTV) device attached to the TV. I just need to play the 4k video on the phone and hit 'throw'

The surprise I got was the ability to zoom-in and scroll around while playing the 4k videos. The quality is still very good when zoomed-in to 1920 x 1080. I could also pinch and drag while paused (and have the paused video or picture without any extraneous words or symbols on the screen)

Greg
07-07-2015, 07:23 PM
I can't recommend enough... you're so good rid of your S3. And... I can't recommend enough a Galaxy S4 or S5. The best bang! My S4 Mini is the best device I ever spent money on.. so close to perfect that its closer to the sun than even my computer!

PS pls ignore Chill's advice - he's biased!

Alex B
07-07-2015, 07:55 PM
The S4/S4 Mini is out of date and knowing Samsung not likely to get anymore updates. +1 on the Z3 or Z3 compact, good phone. Unlike Samsung where their Mini phones are Mini in both size and spec reduced from their big brothers, IIRC the Z3 mini is pretty much identical to the Z3, just with a smaller screen.

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2015, 01:35 PM
I can't recommend enough... you're so good rid of your S3. And... I can't recommend enough a Galaxy S4 or S5.

PS pls ignore Chill's advice - he's biased!

I'm currently rocking a Galaxy S5. The IR port is nice, but the battery would be an easy 25-30% less than the Z3. It's not as waterproof, and it's noticeably slower even on a fresh installation without installing any additional apps.

wratterus
09-07-2015, 02:47 PM
How is Chill biased? I've owned Samsung phones and would never own one again. I still have my trusty HTC One M7, and I would agree with what he's recommended, especially the new Moto G. I'm in fact looking at a Z3 to replace my HTC in the next while.

dugimodo
09-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Everybody is biased, it's the nature of being human. Otherwise there would be no opinions only facts.
Anyway my Note3 should be fairly similar to an S5 and I find it's really smooth and responsive still, nothing to complain about performance wise at all.

That said I would definitely consider a Z3 if I was replacing it. I was tempted by the nexus 6 but reviews aren't favourable when compared to the Note 4 or Z3.
I've always gone for phones with removable batteries and micro SD support but to be honest I've never replaced a battery and don't really find much use for the extra storage. It is good having the option of a hard reset on occasion though.

Greg
09-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Some good deals for today only:
https://www.1-day.co.nz/onsale/smartphones090715/p/?utm_source=Email&amp;utm_medium=Email

gary67
09-07-2015, 07:50 PM
I have just replaced the battery in my S3 mini as it was way cheaper than replacing the phone which I can't afford to do after taking a 6 month sabbatical last summer.

jhw
09-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Ahem, I took a tip from an earlier poster and restarted the phone. It fair hums along now, no hesitation at all, and almost brand new performance, great.

Its not been switched off for many months at a time, other than at hardware reset time. Now Im doing this almost daily, thanks again for the tip.

But, the phone is starting to show signs of wear, little chips coming off the chrome edge band, that sort of thing. So im starting to look around. When I do upgrade,Id like to turn the S3 into a Webcam, any suggestions on how to achieve that?

sahilcc7
09-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Maybe just flash a stock based custom rom of Lollipop, usually gets it running mint rather than the crappy touchwiz that's on it now...

Chilling_Silence
10-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Maybe just flash a stock based custom rom of Lollipop, usually gets it running mint rather than the crappy touchwiz that's on it now...

I flashed 5 Galaxy S5's in the space of 6 weeks to CyanogenMod.
Yeah sure it means they run a bit snappier but then there's bluetooth streaming issues and a lack of NFC to deal with (Has to be disabled, not just turned off, or it absolutely pwns your battery life).

notechyet
13-07-2015, 06:39 PM
I have done the same(CM) some months ago with my S3 and it has been going nicely since. You need to spend a bit of time on it to setup and that's not everybody's cup of tea.:2cents:

Chilling_Silence
14-07-2015, 04:50 PM
I have done the same(CM) some months ago with my S3 and it has been going nicely since. You need to spend a bit of time on it to setup and that's not everybody's cup of tea.:2cents:

Doesn't help everyones guides online are long since outdated.
Flashing Samsungs are all pretty much the same, it's not hard once you've done one, you've done a dozen (Or ~5 dozen in my case)