PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 network problem

Renegade
02-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Got a tricky one here :badpc:

Troubleshoot connection says: There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area Connection adapter. “Try these repairs as an administrator” fails and the connection status goes from yellow to red x: “Problem found, LAC doesn't have a vaild ip address and: There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area Connection adapter”. Assigning a static IP also fails to connect.

I've thrown everything at this that google suggests: re-install driver, reset the tcpip stack, flush DNS, sfc /scannow, system restore etc. It's not a faulty adapter – works fine with a linux live cd. Also tried a TpLink usb wifi adapter and that has similar problems.

It came to me with a black screen/cursor boot problem, but not sure if they had this network problem before that happened. When I got it up and running again the usb keyboard failed (fixed by removing additional upperfilter entries in the registry). So it probably has further issues.
Eset live CD scan was clean, Mbam found a few Mindspark pups.

Will probably have to bite the bullet and backup their data / reinstall Windows but thought I'd check here to see if there's any other ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
02-07-2015, 11:34 AM
There maybe something else in the registry screwing it up. if it and a wireless adapter do the same thing

The person didnt use registry cleaners as well did they. That would definitely screw things up. Depending on the program they used

Renegade
02-07-2015, 12:28 PM
That malware-ish ReimagePlus or some similar thing was there. That may be the culprit.... and I may have goofed up by removing it without seeing if it had done any snapshots.

Speedy Gonzales
02-07-2015, 01:02 PM
Get adwcleaner see if that picks anything up / removes something it's left behind

pendragon.arther
04-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Hi there folks, I'm a newbie:

More suggests: Run Malwarebytes, run AV on bootup (nasties can lurk outside of windows as I've picked up one with Avast free on bootup). Another good tool I use is Erunt which backs up registry and is better than the windows backup so you can return to any saved date if reg is messed up.

Renegade
04-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Ended up nuking it and re-loading Windows.
Adwcleaner/JRT/Combofix cleared a few more entries out but it was too far gone.