PDA

View Full Version : Format 1st partition, backup to 2nd?

Vicx
27-06-2015, 11:49 AM
I currently have XP and Win7 installed on 2 partitions but want to format everything for a new PC (motherboard/cpu/ram) with only Win7 installed on one partition. Here's my plan:

Format the 2nd Win7 partition
Transfer/backup data from 1st to 2nd partition
Format and install WinXP on 1st partition
Transfer data back to from 2nd partition
Format and merge 2nd partition

Does this plan sound ok?

SolMiester
27-06-2015, 01:33 PM
I currently have XP and Win7 installed on 2 partitions but want to format everything for a new PC (motherboard/cpu/ram) with only Win7 installed on one partition. Here's my plan:

XFER W7(P2) doc\data to XP (P1) 1st
Format the 2nd Win7 partition (P2) -Yes
Transfer/backup data from 1st to 2nd partition -Yes
Format and install W7 on 1st partition (P1) - Yes
Transfer data back to (P1)from 2nd partition - Yes
delete partition (P2) and extend (P1)

Does this plan sound ok?

FTFY

Vicx
27-06-2015, 01:40 PM
I've already backed up my Win7 data (Steam games) to external and that's literally all I have on Win7, so I think I can skip transferring doc/data.
I've also decided to backup the rest of my data to external instead. I tried copying 20gb to the 2nd partition and it's taken 30 mins for just half of it! It's probably safer to backup to a separate HDD anyway.

pctek
27-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Format the 2nd Win7 partition
Transfer/backup data from 1st to 2nd partition
Format and install WinXP on 1st partition
Transfer data back to from 2nd partition
Format and merge 2nd partition

I'd image C:, copy that to D:, then format C: and reimage the whole thing back after you've sorted what you want to do with the drive.
Easier than reinstalls and shifting data.

Vicx
27-06-2015, 02:06 PM
I thought of doing that but was told moving an existing HDD to a new motherboard would cause problems which is why I'm starting from scratch.

wainuitech
27-06-2015, 04:53 PM
I thought of doing that but was told moving an existing HDD to a new motherboard would cause problems which is why I'm starting from scratch. It often does give problems and its never as clean or good as fresh install. You often have to remove the old drivers otherwise unless the motherboard is close enough it will BSOD on bootup. Theres easy ways to do that :)

Vicx
27-06-2015, 05:30 PM
Yea I thought so. I figured it's basically a new PC and OS so I might as well start from scratch and format with a fresh install.

Once I've finished backing up I'll go ahead and format, install then merge/extend the primary partition. Fingers crossed!

This is what I bought, seems like a great deal: http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/cpus/intel/auction-906502598.htm

wainuitech
27-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Yea I thought so. I figured it's basically a new PC and OS so I might as well start from scratch and format with a fresh install.

Once I've finished backing up I'll go ahead and format, install then merge/extend the primary partition. Fingers crossed!

This is what I bought, seems like a great deal: http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/cpus/intel/auction-906502598.htm

Hmmmmmm OK sit down-- Hate to be the bearer of what could be bad News, but that socket of motherboard 1155 is now discontinued, "if" the board gives you any problems its obsolete so getting a replacement may be a bit awkward. You may have no problems, but just be aware.

If you do a search from almost all the computers shops in NZ, no one has them (Socket 1155)

The CPU & Board = Same Socket --http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh61be.html CPU http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2320-Quad-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B005L9C49K :(

mzee
27-06-2015, 07:02 PM
If you want to transfer Windows from one computer/motherboard to another by imaging you would have to use Universal Restore to remove any drivers that could crash Windows on the new MB. You would have to install suitable drivers, and unless the hardware on both boards is very similar you will have to reactivate Windows. Better to do a clean install if you still have your installation disk.

Vicx
27-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Hmmmmmm OK sit down-- Hate to be the bearer of what could be bad News, but that socket of motherboard 1155 is now discontinued, "if" the board gives you any problems its obsolete so getting a replacement may be a bit awkward. You may have no problems, but just be aware.

If you do a search from almost all the computers shops in NZ, no one has them (Socket 1155)

The CPU & Board = Same Socket --http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh61be.html CPU http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2320-Quad-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B005L9C49K :(

Why is that a problem? I bought it used on trademe, I'm not getting a replacement.

KarameaDave
28-06-2015, 08:07 AM
If you read wainuitech's post carefully you will see he says 'if' the board gives problems.

Vicx
28-06-2015, 10:31 AM
That goes for anything you buy used off trademe, I'd only expect a replacement if I bought new from a store.

wainuitech
28-06-2015, 10:37 AM
I was only advising that by using that motherboard, and being second hand "IF" it fails lets say after a couple of months or sooner, then you may have a hard time locating another motherboard as they are now no longer manufactured.

The CPU would more than likely be perfectly fine, seen it happen countless times motherboards fail, CPU is fine, cant get a replacement board. Motherboards like Hard Drives can last for years or die quick.
Be a shame to have built a PC, spent time doing so and setting it up as you want it, then shortly after hardware fails and cant get replacement parts.

Just advising , nothing else :)

Vicx
28-06-2015, 10:44 AM
I see, do you think this particular motherboard is prone to failure? I understand it's an old mobo/cpu, I only bought it because it was a much more powerful yet far cheaper than what I was planning on buying new. My current 8 year old setup has been fine ever since so I think this one should last me a few years.

wainuitech
28-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Prone to failures-- ANY motherboard any brand can fail at any time. As pointed out your current system is 8 years old, but someone else with the same board as you have may have many problems or failures. Its really the luck of the draw. The one you brought may very well last for years.

I was only pointing it out to advise in case you didn't know. There has been many times people buy stuff from Trademe cheap then get a shock later on if there's a problem.

So as long as you are aware - go for it :) build and enjoy :)

Vicx
28-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Someone recommended it on another forum and it looks like they've sold heaps, they must have been used in an office, lots of good feedback for these so I think it'll be ok. Had it sitting here for a few weeks, just haven't had time to back everything up til now. Will post back here once it's all installed.

29-06-2015, 10:12 AM
to check stability of the used mb
Do a clean install of Win, if it installs without any errors, thats a basic test of stability.