PDA

View Full Version : sfc /scannow on Win7

B.M.
19-06-2015, 10:29 AM
I am trying to run sfc /scannow on a Win7 machine of a friend but it seems I must run it as Administrator.

Problem is, friend has no idea what the Admin password is and it could have been set by the Vendor at time of purchase.

Admin or admin are said to be incorrect so what now?????

Any thoughts?

:thanks

wratterus
19-06-2015, 10:56 AM
So just checking, if you search 'cmd' in the start menu, then right click and 'run as administrator', it asks you for a password?

B.M.
19-06-2015, 12:06 PM
So just checking, if you search 'cmd' in the start menu, then right click and 'run as administrator', it asks you for a password?

Not quite.

I can get to the command prompt ok but if I then type sfc /scannow I get the message: You must be an administrator running a console session in order to run the sfc utility.

wratterus
19-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Yes - have you actually tried running command prompt as admin though? That's what it's asking you to do - when you open a standard command prompt, it does not have admin privileges.

B.M.
19-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Yes - have you actually tried running command prompt as admin though? That's what it's asking you to do - when you open a standard command prompt, it does not have admin privileges.

Yes, but it would seem right clicking and running as administrator wasnít registering as I restarted the computer and then got to run sfc.

This type of behaviour is the reason I was trying to run sfc in the first place.

Anyway, I now get the following message.

Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.log

So now Iím off to check the CBS.log if I can find it. :D It has given examples of where to look so Iíll get back on whatís there.

wainuitech
19-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Edited: Happy reading, its will be long :)

19-06-2015, 01:35 PM
, it will be long :)

and confusing...
sfc often comes up with that message, even on PC's that seem to run OK.

try this
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

B.M.
19-06-2015, 02:54 PM
So I find the subject Log file and get "Access Denied" :mad: when trying to open it even though it chose Notepad to do the business.

Anyway, I'm now downloading the 539meg :eek: fix that 1101 suggested might be worth trying.

wratterus
19-06-2015, 02:56 PM
System readiness tool I assume? Worth a go, for sure. Is there a specific issue you are having with this PC, or is it just being odd in general?

wainuitech
19-06-2015, 03:26 PM
if you "really" want to have a look at the cbs log, open a command prompt as Admin, type ( or copy/paste) this exactly as is:

notepad c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log

Notepad will open, it will load, may take a few seconds as it reads the log then you can then save it if you wish.

Also have a read of make-cbs-log-useable (http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/56234-make-cbs-log-useable.html).

wainuitech
19-06-2015, 04:13 PM
If you wanted to see just the error log, after running sfc /scannow Open the CMS as admin, paste in the command ( or type it EXACTLY)

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log

The results will appear in the cmd window, they may be easier to read in notepad, so with the list showing, right clcik in the CMD window, clcik Select All, then open Notepad, right click the blank section / Paste. There are all the error details.

B.M.
19-06-2015, 04:53 PM
System readiness tool I assume? Worth a go, for sure. Is there a specific issue you are having with this PC, or is it just being odd in general?

Well it started out supposedly very slow. Very slow, about 15mins to the desktop with the icons loading one at a time. :eek:

CCleaner found about 6gig of temporary files but couldn't clear them so I dumped the ones belonging to IE physically and CCleaner handled the others.

Other programmes half loaded and stopped but some started again if left alone. Some even posted a Not Responding message if you tried to close them but then carried on and loaded. :confused: At the moment this KB947821 is almost there on the progress bar but hasn't moved for 10 minutes.

Wainui, I haven't pursued the log yet because looking at some posted in the links you provided made me think War & Peace was a paper back and having read and inwardly digested I'd be none the wiser. :)

B.M.
20-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Update:

KB947821 System Readiness Tool won't load. The progress bar gets almost to the end but then sits there. Cancel doesn't work either so the only way out is to close the whole computer and force closedown.

Is it possible on Win7 to do a repair install that leaves the likes of documents and photos?

wainuitech
20-06-2015, 09:41 AM
You can do a repair install on W7, but you have to be able to boot into windows normally to do it.
Have a read of http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Warning: Done it a couple of times But sometimes it can get part way through and fail, or actually wipe everything, if this happens then theres no way back.

Best to make a full image of the Drive first, ideally you would put the image back onto another drive before trying to repair just to make sure the backup has worked as well, then run the repair install on the original

B.M.
20-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Thanks Wainui, I'll do some more study. :thumbs: