PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

Bryden
18-06-2015, 04:45 PM
I have a friend with a desktop computer which has an inbuilt modem. I would prefer not to disturb this set up as it is working fine. However, I have a spare wifi modem and wonder if I can install that at her home using another phone jackpoint and then allow her to view Youtube etc. on her television via an HDMI cable from a laptop? She does not have a Smart TV but your enough (I hope) to have HMDI ports....

Next question - virtual private network.... If I install one of these on say my desktop, does it apply if I use my laptop, tablet, iPad to go on the Net please - or does it only muddy the water for my Desktop. Also any recommendation of which to use? One suggestion has been hideme....

TIA

Bryden

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Is the other jackpoint connected to the main jackpoint? I take it, there's 2 of them? And theyre separate lines?

And is she on broadband why you want to use the wifi modem? If she isnt, there's no point in plugging it in a jack

The built in modem what is it? A broadband modem or a dialup modem?

18-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Its very unlikely she'll be using the inbuilt modem unless shes only on (old school) dial up internet . There were internal ADSL modems years back, but very rare.
If shes using dial up, then wifi isnt a realistic option , will be a pain to setup.
A dial up internet a/c only gives you dial up access, you cant use a ADSL modem on a dial up a/c.
Could it be that the internal modem is connected up but not actually used, ie a dsl modem somewhere else in the house ?

Exactly what were you hoping to achive with a VPN ?

Kame
18-06-2015, 05:48 PM
1st question no and yes, you can have two modems on the same line basically you use the router/networking of the modem and you network it to her computer, that way the router gets the internet from her computer and can then send it out over the WiFi.

Actually good point about whether it's inbuilt xDSL, rare but I come across them oddly enough. So what is her internet? If it's dial up, the same applies above anyways.

Her computer you set up as DHCP and be a good idea to manually set her LAN IP, network it to the router, either network cable (preferred) or wireless. On the router you disable DHCP, it might be a good idea to manually set its IP as well, using her computers IP as the gateway and DNS.

VPN is only for the device that uses it, its like having the choice of connection to go through a secret tunnel and normal route while the others have no clue about that secret tunnel and go normal routes only. Add VPN to other devices and then they too can take that secret tunnel.

Cheers,

KK

Bryden
18-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the replies.... can always rely on help on this forum and I do appreciate it. I don't see a modem anywhere in her office and I know with the previous computer it was inbuilt.... what I am trying to do is get the Internet to her (non Smart) television..... by the simplest means possible.... suggestions please?

Bryden
18-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Kame - is it easy to switch VPN on and off? For example I use my laptop to see Lightbox on my Panasonic smart TV and for that I need a NZ URL -

Kame
18-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Bryden,

I'm trying to picture what you want.

VPN server allows clients the ability to tunnel from a public network (internet) onto a private network (the LAN network of the server), its called private because normally internal networks can't be seen.

Say you have a VPN server that has a static internal IP at work and a static ISP given IP for the internet, router is set to forward VPN requested ports to the VPN server.

At home using your laptop you can connect to your works ISP given IP through a VPN connection that uses the VPN port, the router receiving that port request sends it to the VPN server and now adds you as a client onto the work network. It now believes you are just part of the works network while where you are does not matter, its as if you took your laptop to work and plugged yourself in. You now can use whatever resources are available to you on that network, including using their internet access to make web requests.

What scenarios I am seeing more of is VPN clients connecting to VPN servers at different countries so that their traffic originates at that country to bypass global restrictions.

1. Are you not in NZ?

2. Do you have a VPN server in NZ or going to set it up here and that's the information you want?

This should clear the air a bit.

To answer how easy it is, most computers these days have the ability to join VPN networks, so client wise you are covered. To use VPN, its as simple as changing what network you use, e.g. you may call your home network HOME and the VPN in NZ, VPNNZ. To use it, just pick the network to connect to and that's it, on and off is just switching networks to use.

If you mean controlling the VPN server to enable and disable it, you need to set up a remote server on the VPN server too, something like remote desktop, ssh or vnc server, etc. Usually you don't want to disable your remote methods into it unless you want to stop yourself being able to access that computer remotely, if you do it accidentally, like crash it or shut it down, it usually means someone will need to go there and sort it, same if their internet goes down.

Cheers,

KK

Bryden
18-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Kame - VPN - I was hoping to be able to access stuff from which I would be precluded if my NZ address showed up.... nothing fancy - just sewing and other boring things..... My laptop which I have plugged into my smart TV I use if I want to watch Lightbox but I guess maybe I could use my iPad for just that source.... or would I need the Apple TV gadget to use that? So many questions.... grin