PDA

View Full Version : W 10 back up

effie c
18-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Hi all,

I now satisfied, my essential w7 computer details are safe when I install my free w 10 Professional O S upgrade sometime after July 29, probably a month later

Now the question arises, what do I do with my two back ups--ie C drive and an external, off site, h/d-- do I delete all I can, then do a back up using W 10 where in the saved data for W 7 install etc ( the essential data on a back up ) will be altered to W 10 spec, then do I back up again on each H/d this time entirely in W 10 format?

effie c

18-06-2015, 09:59 AM
I would wait 2 or 3 months before installing Win10, by then hopefully unforseen bugs & issues should be sorted.
I suspect that the Win8 haters, wont be overly impressed with Win10 either: its still quite a change from Win7 .

Keep your Win7 backup,for a while, in case you have to revert to 7 for any reason......but
But...it all depends on how & what is in the backup. Is it data only, or a full system image, backup via Win7 or some 3rd party app ? How much room is there for additional
backups on your backup media ?

" what do I do with my two back ups--ie C drive and an external, off site, h/d"
a backup to C: IS NOT A BACKUP. Backups MUST be to external media(USB stick USB HD etc ) .

CliveM
18-06-2015, 02:02 PM
effie a backup of your data (documents,photos etc) is just that. It makes little difference if you have Win7, Win8.1, Win10 or any other Win operating system you will still be able to use it to read that data. An image of your drive on the other hand has everything that is on it (programs installed and the operating system as well as your data) if you then put the image back your system is back to exactly how it was whenever the image was made.

I keep a backup of my important data on a Flash drive which remains with me and I could use it to recover things in the event of a theft or fire should I need to.
I make a complete image of my C: drive each week so that if I screw things up badly or get a virus or have some hardware disaster I can quickly get things back up and running again exactly as it was.

I shall make an image of my system immediately before I install the Win10 upgrade at the end of next month. Should that upgrade turn to custard I will just put that image back on the system and have it back running Win8.1 as it is now

1101's advice to keep your backups off site is very good. Even just keeping your backup media in the boot of your car and a USB flash drive in your pocket is enough for most of us. Lets face it you would be having a really bad day if your house burned down, your car was stolen and you lost your USB drive as well all at the same time

nmercer
18-06-2015, 02:03 PM
there's 4.5 million people using Windows 10 already, for 5 months.

this is not on of those "wait for service pack 1" moments that people used to say 10 years ago

linw
18-06-2015, 02:11 PM
I agree. Been happily using it on my main machine since Oct.

But, of course, you should always have a backup image no matter what you are doing as others have said.

wainuitech
18-06-2015, 03:04 PM
there's 4.5 million people using Windows 10 already, for 5 months.

this is not on of those "wait for service pack 1" moments that people used to say 10 years ago Hopefully MS will fix a couple of the Known faults with W10 before the end of July. So far the last few builds still contain them and one is a good one -- kills the whole start menu dead, nuda, doesn't work at all in any mode.

BEFORE any PC here gets changed, there will be full system Images created.

18-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Just wondering, do the different versions of 8 have different versions of the Backup utility, as used to be the case. I assume 10 will be similar.
Or perhaps just no backup to networks in Win home ?

Also, have they made the disk image wizard easier to find in Win10? The Build in Disk Image tool Works great in Win8 Pro , but not easy to to find (I had to google it)

linw
18-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Currently win 10 has the Win 7 backup utility located in control panel under Backup and Restore (Windows 7).

I've never really used windows for backups but have just tried this one. Can backup libraries, files and it will create an image if you want. Schedule aval as well as network destination.

Didn't see destination disk management capability.

Definitely better than nothing which is what most people "rely" on!!

Win 10's win 7 backup could change before RTM, of course.

dugimodo
18-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Me personally I'm planning an extreme backup. Assuming I can figure out how to do a clean install I'll remove my C: drive and replace it with a new one and install windows 10 fresh :) - if there are any problems I'll still have the old setup on the old drive :)

I have 3 reasons for this.
1. It's the most guaranteed to work method of rolling back to a previous version
2. My C: drive is smaller and slower than my D: drive so it's a good opportunity to swap them around (and the D: drive is easily copied because there's no OS on it)
3. There's no danger of screwing up my existing setup or finding out an image won't restore

I have a 256GB samsung 830 series SSD as my C: drive and a 500GB Crucial MX100 SSD as my D: drive, just because it was easier than mucking about cloning windows when I got the 2nd drive and performance is close enough to the same between them. My Steam folder is the reason I need the space, and even if it doesn't need to be on an SSD I like it to be.

Once that's all successful and I consider it safe the older SSD will get re-used as a boot drive in another PC.