PDA

View Full Version : W 10 post 1 year

effie c
16-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Hi all,

I have been favoured with the flag permitting me a free upgrade to W 10, for one year, which I intend to take:clap

I have contacts who are wary of accepting the 1 year in case they then have to pay regularly from then on or will have to pay for a complete new O S at zillions of dollars:devil

Is there anywhere I can get a definitive answer, for these panicking colleagues?:mad:

Effie c

CliveM
16-06-2015, 12:04 PM
The upgrade is free and remains so once you have received it.

effie c
16-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Hi CliveM,
If so, and that is what I hope, what does Microsoft get in earnings for it's poor shareholders?
Effie c

wainuitech
16-06-2015, 12:29 PM
As clive posted, its free for as long as the computer is working. AFTER 1 year if someone has not taken up the offer THEN AND ONLY THEN will they have to pay for it.

People read articles wrong or the idiots who write the articles "think" they know what's happening.

What MS have said is that later on, there "MAY" be options to pay for certain features should you want them. Some will be free similar to Service packs, there will be other options you can add & pay for if you want.

Good example of that Was The Windows Media Centre -- W8 PRO = you can buy the media centre function/Program if you wanted, didn't have to have it, but it was available.

To answer the Question: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-windows-10-free-lifetime-device-after-initial-upgrade-no-yearly-fee-upgraders

effie c
16-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Hi W T andCliveM,

So I can honestly tell my panicky contacts to stop and enjoy the roses ? W 10

For my point of view, I do not care these days, but now I have a happy approach and a clear conscience if the s*** hits the fan
;-)
Effie c

16-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Win8's reputation is trashed, same as Vista's. Its a reputation rebuild.
Nothing to do with Win8 being good or not, the reputation of Win8 is trashed in the eyes of many Joe averages (not so much with techie types)

What do the shareholders get ?
MS gets millions of users upgraded to their latest & greatest.
They can then entice users to the MS Store: access is built in to 8 & 10.
They stop all the hate of Win8 , more will start to buy new PC's & laptops (they hope) , new PC's will have a paid version of 10.
After 1 year they will hope sales will pick up as reputation of the new Win is well established (may go horribly wrong, wait & see)
They stop users , afraid of Win8, migrating to MAC's ( never been a real issue for MS)

Just so many false rumours regarding Win10 . Tech sites are to blame for spreading the rumours rather than spend 10 minutes to see if they are actually true.

16-06-2015, 12:43 PM
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

I'd agree MS should do more to kill off the FUD and rumours.
In plain language,on the Win10 FAQ page, they need to STATE that Free Win10 will be free for the life of the PC, & clearly state no ongoing costs .Its implied .
They leave to much wiggle room for conspiracy theorists :-)

But anyway, wait 3-6months before upgrading. Give it time for any bugs to be sorted out, no big rush.

Alex B
16-06-2015, 02:23 PM
MS make most of their money via Enterprise/SMB/Subscription like Office 365/OEMs etc etc. Don't worry, they won't go broke any time soon ;)