PDA

View Full Version : Fanless PC's

bazmeister
13-06-2015, 04:12 PM
A mate who was recently in Harvey N's, advises that the Salesman pitched him towards a "sold state" type of computer,
possibly HP brand, not requiring a fan and/or other moving type parts, possibly also a heat sink.

I'm the first to admit I'm well behind the times, but as I will be needing a replacement desk-top soon, can anyone briefly
fill me in on the desirability and reliability of such PC's. Is the later model, one piece designed around the monitor, proving to
be succesful, service wise....?

wainuitech
13-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Fans are used to move air about and extract heat, while there are many Fan-less components, like Graphic Cards, they still require air movement -- The obvious question is - If there's no fans, how is the air moving inside and the heat removed ?
HDD's -- Solid state, no real problem apart from their $$ compared to capacity.

one piece designed around the monitor, proving to be succesful, service wise....? Apart from Memory or HDD replacement they can be a nightmare to fix. ALL the components will be specific parts so you are at the mercy of the manufacture to use their parts at their costs.

Often when one of those All in ones fail, unless its still in warranty, apart from the before mentioned HDD /Memory if its something like a Motherboard or screen /panel,you may as well buy a new one.

Last year I did an insurance claim on a 22" HP with touch screen-- Only HP could supply the screen, the replacement cost was close to $1600. The insurance company had a sh1t fit :eek:, they got another quote directly from HP repair agents in wgtn and it as even more ;)

Paul.Cov
13-06-2015, 06:34 PM
While I can appreciate the merit of zero mechanical parts, I also appreciate how frickin terminal a bit of heat can be to a computer.

Overall, I'd view fan-less as a negative, not a positive feature, and I'd be kicking myself if I'd accidentally bought one with this dubious 'benefit'.

Paul.Cov
13-06-2015, 06:36 PM
On a related topic, would you buy an air cooled Lada, or a water cooled Toyota? If you only drive in arctic regions, and only on flat land, then the Lada may be fine. If you go mediteranian, Equatorial or alpine, then you'll want the water in the Toyota.

15-06-2015, 09:40 AM
The 'all in one' PCs are basically a laptop with a big screen. Out of warranty repairs wont be cheap . It will have a fan, a small quiet one

The new fanless , micro PC's are really just a novelty item, unless you have a definite need for a PC that small .
Being fanless, they cant dissipate alot of heat, so in general they wont be as fast or powerful as a normal PC.
Expect it to use non standard parts : expensive repairs .