PDA

View Full Version : Bartcode scanner, USB Scanner or use Android ph

12-06-2015, 12:19 PM
I want to use a barcode scanner at home, to scan the serial numbers' of my stuff (TV etc) in case I get burgled.
Also , being able to scan barcodes of courier tickets of stuff I occasionly sell on trademe might be usefull.

Is there a good & free android app that will scan & decode old school barcodes ? And will spit them into a txt file.
The other option I guess is just to photograph the serial numbers with the phone & upload the photos to gmail/dropbox wherever.

I can get a USB bartcode reader quite cheap, which would be perfect except for the fact Id need to borrow a laptop from work
to plug into to, to walk around & scan the TV, stereo etc
http://www.banggood.com/Handheld-Long-Laser-USB-Port-CCD-32Bit-Barcode-Scanner-Bar-Code-Reader-p-950134.html

Cheers

beama
12-06-2015, 02:23 PM
to test our barcode scanners we use notepad just start it up and scan

Greg
12-06-2015, 05:44 PM
QR & Barcode Scan is a free app for Android. I use it in preference to QR Droid.

Kame
12-06-2015, 06:04 PM
There's many apps that will do this for you, so you could just read reviews, test them out and find one that suits you.

I suggest if you and everyone else wants to store serial numbers is to put it online for free at http://snap.org.nz for safely keeping track of serials for your assets. This keeps them off site and is a better method to store them.

There's other sites out there that go further that allow storing warranty information, receipts, etc but you'll have to look into this one and see if it suits your needs better.

Cheers,

KK

Paul.Cov
12-06-2015, 07:46 PM
The firmware in a barcode scanner does all the work, and all it does once it's read the code is to emulate a keyboard and pass the code on as a sequence of numbers.

There's so many different standards of barcodes however, and the barcode on your gear is more likely a product code, not a serial number.

Frankly, taking a photo of the numbers will capture more info, and will also allow you to store an image of what the gear looked like, which is much more use than a table full of numbers.

Agent_24
16-06-2015, 04:51 PM
The Simpsons probably have one.