PDA

View Full Version : Best Media Player for Non Internet Person?

Winston001
11-06-2015, 12:12 AM
Hi Team

I have a friend who does not have a computer nor the internet. He has resisted suggestions to step up - it seems too complicated yadda yadda. Its a shame because he'd enjoy the knowledge but for the moment it is one step at a time.

My friend does enjoy movies and Sky. Unfortunately his DVD player has died just as DVD rental businesses are closing down.

I...er my student son has probably 100 movies on an external hard drive which we want to share with him. My question - what is the best media player?

Samsung DVD or a HD player?

PS3?

Or a desktop computer which can be updated by me from time to time? VLC plays any format I can throw at it

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

11-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Hi Team

I have a friend who does not have a computer nor the internet.

Since he wont be computer savvy, the choice is going to need to be REALLY easy to use & bullet proof. So not a PC :-)

Some devices may have issues with some newer media formats, eg vids ripped from youtube or some new file types downloaded from ~certain places~. Make sure what you buy will play your movies : ie the codec & the container(file type)
possibly a Western Digital media player,should play anything. Although , may not be the easiest to navigate through.

For some reason, often the new cheapest chinese DVD players & TV's have the better external media support.
My el-cheapo Warehouse TV has an excellent USB media player built in . Very easy to use.

dugimodo
11-06-2015, 12:50 PM
WDTV as 1101 suggested or a Samsung Blu-ray player with smart hub. Why? because DVD is a dead format, blu-ray players are still relatively cheap, and smart hub will also work with lightbox and netflix giving you more options without multiple devices.
The world is moving to streaming, why not try and move with it a little if buying something new. I personally would never recommend a DVD player these days, Blu-ray at least is likely to last slightly longer and will still play DVD's. Of course if your friend will never go for the internet ever then it might be a waste of money.

I would not go for a console for media playback, despite all the hype they are not that good at it. The PS3 for example is very limited in format support and so are the rest of them. There are ways around that but not for the sort of people you describe.
Personally I use PS3 media server on a PC to stream and transcode media files to my PS3 - works great but is not a cheap or simple option and I doubt one you'd convince your friends of.

BBCmicro
11-06-2015, 03:46 PM
I have a WDTV media player (WDTV Live HD) at least 4 years old. Plays most things under 1080/30p. The newer WDTV players probably go up to 1080/60p? (Might even go up to 2160/30p)

My ancient one plays OK from Western Digital USB3 portable drives. (Using just one of the USB ports - no extra power required)

Lawrence
11-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Use to have a Asus oplay years ago,plug in a USB/hard Drive and go
Now have a Samsung LCD and just plug the Hard Drive straight in

Plenty of options out there

decibel
11-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Depending on the movie format and the "newness" of the TV -you may be able to plug the external drive straight into a USB port on the TV and not require a player at all.

Oops - as Lawrence has already said.

Winston001
12-06-2015, 11:03 PM
Cheers and thanks. I shall chew this over.