PDA

View Full Version : My Windows username - how to change?

Greg
07-06-2015, 04:20 PM
When I first got this PC I set it up using my Outlook.com username. How do I change it? Win 8.1

dugimodo
07-06-2015, 04:43 PM
There's probably easier ways but one way is to create a new account and then switch to it and delete your old one. Might have to set a lot of things up again that way though.
What's the problem with your current login?

wainuitech
07-06-2015, 05:21 PM
With W8.1 you can have two accounts, the online one (using your email) or the Local account. Most people don't have a local account setup, but its easy enough. :)

Go into the control panel / user accounts -- Near the top ( next to your Pic) "Make Changes to my account in PC Settings"

Right smack in the middle near top is DISCONNECT - Click it, and you'll disconnect the Outlook account, on reboot you'll get prompted for the Local account, you may need to fill in some details, but all your data, programs everything will still be there. If at any stage you want to use the Apps / Store that require a MS account then you'll need to switch to it.

I Never use the MS account unless I have to switch to get something from the store etc, thats why Mines saying Connect to a MS Account:)

Greg
07-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks guys. Dugi - I want to change it cos it's my real name. At the time when I first used Win 8 I thought I was compelled to use an actual Outlook account.

Cheers.

wainuitech
07-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Just some info ( geek Hat) :nerd: -- When setting up W8 or W10 if you don't want to use a email address to log on you don't have to.

The "trick" is to make sure you are NOT connected to the internet in any way/shape/or form other wise it insists on creating a email log on. BUT no internet = Local Log on, password protected optional as well, accounts can then be changed /switched at any time between the two.

dugimodo
07-06-2015, 09:53 PM
You can do it when connected to the internet, I just forget how and I'm not going to reinstall windows to find out :) Think it's just slightly hidden as in not immediately obvous but it's there.
I think if you just don't give it an email address and don't give in to the suggestion to use one it'll give you an option to use a local account.

Personally I just used my Gmail address the first time and have stuck with it, I find it quite convenient.

wainuitech
07-06-2015, 10:12 PM
You can do it when connected to the internet, I just forget how and I'm not going to reinstall windows to find out :) Think it's just slightly hidden as in not immediately obvous but it's there.
I think if you just don't give it an email address and don't give in to the suggestion to use one it'll give you an option to use a local account.

Personally I just used my Gmail address the first time and have stuck with it, I find it quite convenient.

With W8 8.1, when it asks for a email, bottom left hand corner in very small Writing, cant remember the exact wording but it says something about a local account instead, but unless you know its there its almost impossible to see. Just as easy to unplug the internet, then customize option and it by-passes the email address option. ( done it countless of times)

Greg
07-06-2015, 10:35 PM
You guys are great... thanks again and I'm sure your advice will be appreciated by others new to Win 8.x.