PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS Navigation?

DakotaNZ
06-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a new phone, but I need something that has a great navigation app that I can install, preferably one that works without internet access as I will be traveling through areas where there is none. I have a Navman but it is out of date and I can't seem to find updates for my model, even if I could I find it unnecessarily difficult to use. What type of phone and app would you guys recommend? I need something with voice assistance and as much detail as poss as I will be driving through cities, and I am not a city driver so might find it quite challenging.....I live in a very small town, so the big smoke can be pretty intimidating. Any help would be much appreciated.

dugimodo
06-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Navfree was a good choice but it has since morphed into Navmii and I'm not so sure about it now. It does download the maps and provide turn by turn voice instructions for free though so no harm in trying it.
Personally I just use google maps, data usage is minimal and it works well. The only time coverage seems to matter is when setting a new route, it caches enough to deal with driving in and out of coverage areas.

I have navmii loaded as a backup just in case but it never really gets used.

Webdevguy
06-06-2015, 06:16 PM
I use the turn by turn feature on Google maps many times a week during my job which takes me in and around the city. I have an iPhone but I am pretty sure that the feature would work just as well on any Samsung phone if you don't wish to purchase an iPhone. I can't vouch for Windows Phones but I am pretty sure their navigational capacity is pretty good as well. We do have Navmans at work but I find the UI set up on the Navman to be annoying and counter intuitive.

Turn by turn on Google maps is pretty much idiot proof. The only way to stuff it up would be to try and second guess the directional instructions - something that some women can have a tendency to do.

b....
06-06-2015, 06:23 PM
I use my work supplied iphone 5C. Works very well.

gary67
06-06-2015, 07:13 PM
I use my ancient s3 mini with G maps works great so long as you have reception

Speedy Gonzales
06-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Lumia phones will download maps. And I think you can use cortana after you change the region / language to US.

But yup, you'll probably still use data

GrahamW
09-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Don't know which phone to recommend but I'd suggest you give OsmAnd a try for your navigation app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand&hl=en
You can select which maps you download and then the app can be used totally offline. Maps are updated approximately every fortnight and you can download/update (I think) 10 maps on the free version of the app. The paid for version costs $6.49 and allows unlimited downloads/updates.

AppleFan
11-06-2015, 10:37 PM
I have got this on my samsung s4 and i like it .

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.aura&hl=en

Driftwood
12-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Been down that road.
Finished up buying a Garmin nuvi55LM.
5'' screen, easy to read & easy to use.
Harvey Norman had them on special.
But even at retail of $199 you wont buy a mobile with a 5'' screen.
Also you dont have to shag round unhooking the thing every time you get out of the vehicle.