PDA

View Full Version : KDE help

24-12-2001, 08:17 AM
I am in the process of installing Mandrake 6.1
The problem arises when it comes time to setting the video card & monitor for the desktop/s. I let it automatically detect my setting but when it comes to show me the test box I just have black and white vertical lines. I have gone back and manually tried all the different settings. The best I manage to get is being able to see the box but the buttons are just black boxs. I have been able to install the same package with out desktops without any hassle and being able to see everything fine.

System Specs: Celeron 700; 128 MB RAM; 8GB 7200 IBM HDD; AGP graphics card; Philips 105s Monitor.

Stefan de Medici

24-12-2001, 08:52 AM
Hi Stefan,
You obviously already have the 6.1 disks but in reality Linux has made huge strides since that distribution was released. For ease of use, hardware and software support graphics and many other reasons I would reccommen using the latest version Mandrake 8.1. If you do install and old version such as you have, you will be guaranteed to have ongoing problems with new hardware support etc. and you will not enjoy the Linux experience. The latest versions can be bought for as little as $10-$20.00. Try www.Trademe.co.nz or www.xsolutions.co.nz/linux
Unless you have a really good reason for using 6.1, dump it!
Not really an answer to your problem but I hope it helps.
BC

24-12-2001, 04:07 PM
Your version of XFree86 probably does not understand AGP video cards. And the default SVGA XWindow server might not work too well with it. So much for backwards compatibility.

Have a look at the most recent HOWTO for XWindow:
http://nix.itss.auckland.ac.nz/LDP/HOWTO/XFree86-HOWTO/

That gives a link to a list of the hardware supported by the new version. And a bit more information ....
You might be able to upgrade just the XWindow server, and a few libraries.

If you're familiar with one version and it's not broken, why go to much greedier (of disk and memory) versions.

25-12-2001, 01:53 AM
Well, I would call an OS that doesn't recognise an AGP card, broken. If Linux is to become a serious contender for our desktops then it must be as user freindly as possible. Not everyone is as comfortable configuring their system continuously as some of us are. At the cost & size of hard drives and memory these days and the low cost of a distro. it hardly seems relevant. What is relevant is if the development of open source software is to continue, people must be convinced to use it and spending many hours getting something to work properly (if ever) will only lead to users dumping it for something easier. After all said and done, the majority of us have computers to make our lives easier and more productive, and fooling around configuring and outdated OS won't acheive that.

BC

27-12-2001, 04:38 PM
'... spending many hours getting something to work properly (if ever) will only lead to users dumping it for something easier.' So everyone is dumping Windows 95, NT, 98, 2000, ME and getting XP?

'... computers to make our lives easier and more productive ...'.

And I can give you a very good price on a Harbour Bridge.