PDA

View Full Version : Help trying to choose a new ISP

SomeGuyByTheNameOfAndrew
02-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Hi. I'm guessing this question is very common, but I need help anyway!

Right now I'm with Spark (telecom) and the speed is very bad, about 10 download/0.7 upload, although the speed is always very consistent.
Anyway, Trustpower's $49 per month deal caught my eye. Right now I'm paying $110 per month for unlimited internet with Spark, but with Trustpower, you sign a 2 year contract (little sketchy), with a $195 exit fee. The first year of unlimited broadband is $49 per month, the second year is $80 per month.

Has anyone been with Trustpower in the past? Honestly as long as the speed is consistent I don't mind if it's even as bad as what I have now. $110 per month for rather slow internet is a ripoff, especially since I can't livestream at all. Thanks for the help.

I'm frightened to go for Trustpower because I've heard complaints of under 5 mbps download speeds (and that's from people who live quite close to the server).

Mirddes
02-06-2015, 05:26 PM
i pay 110 for unlimited 130mbit cable and phone.

SomeGuyByTheNameOfAndrew
02-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Damn, what ISP are you with? And is that with the ultra-fast fiber shenanigans?

SomeGuyByTheNameOfAndrew
02-06-2015, 05:31 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4402722452

02-06-2015, 05:33 PM
is 10 download really bad ??
Perhaps you really want fibre .

I have 10Mb connect speed(Telecom), max actual download speed Ive ever had is just over 1Mb/s .And thats only happened twice. :-)

SomeGuyByTheNameOfAndrew
02-06-2015, 05:34 PM
10 download isn't that bad, I can deal with it fine. But the upload speed cannot be dealt with! Not ever!

dugimodo
02-06-2015, 05:39 PM
If you log into your router and find the connection stats what is the sync speed? What many people fail to realise when switching ISP's is that most of them just lease the same connection from Chorus and can't necessarily offer any more speed over the same line than anyone else.

If it's limited by the copper connection to your house and the distance to the cabinet the only way to improve it is to go for something like fibre if available or wait for chorus to upgrade the cabinet you feed from - no guarantees there. Not to say there is no difference between ISP's, just that it's not the only limiting factor.

I don't know how trust power deliver broadband but it is a good deal price wise. If it's still ADSL2+ over the same physical line it's probably going to be the same or worse as spark speed wise, there's very little chance it'll be better.

02-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Isnt 1Mb upload the norm for DSL home internet packages?
Maybee you need a commercial package.

Speedy Gonzales
02-06-2015, 05:41 PM
I get about 13 on Vodafone. I don't do that much. But it's good enough for 2-3 pcs when I update them, an Xbox, and 2 bluray players that have built in wifi

I dont bother with upload I dont upload anything to anywhere lol

SomeGuyByTheNameOfAndrew
02-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Doesn't look like my router control panel provides any sync speed info...

AppleFan
02-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Here is what speed im getting . I also think Spark is not good as i notice sometimes speed it can go to really worse say about 2mpb s , and the best around 14mpbs .

Thanks

pctek
02-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Right now I'm with Spark (telecom) and the speed is very bad, about 10 download/0.7 upload,.
Anyway, Trustpower's $49 per month deal caught my eye.

I'm frightened to go for Trustpower because I've heard complaints of under 5 mbps download speeds (and that's from people who live quite close to the server).

Most of the time the speed has nothing to do with which ISP you are with.
Many factors affect it:
Modem
Line
Traffic
etc....

Trustpower are known for being expensive. And as you say, people have complained.
Fix the problem.

dugimodo
02-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Your router will have it somewhere, can take some hunting around on some models.
As someone else said 1mb is the upload limit on ADSL so .7 is actually fairly normal. To get better you would have to switch to VDSL or fibre if they were available in your area.

Mirddes
02-06-2015, 08:24 PM
Damn, what ISP are you with? And is that with the ultra-fast fiber shenanigans?

vodafone cable, fiber that's been in the ground for well over a decade and a half.

Chilling_Silence
02-06-2015, 11:14 PM
That TrustPower deal is for ADSL. I asked them when they rang me, it's not for VDSL or UFB apparently.
I'd avoid them, just on the pure basis it *seems* shady, like a "bait and switch"... "Here, come with us for $X a month! But after Y months, it'll change to Z pricing which is almost double."

bevy121
03-06-2015, 12:10 AM
...and their power cost structure means you pay top dollar for their electricity no matter what (power)plan you are on!

ali123
03-06-2015, 01:23 PM
Hi. I'm guessing this question is very common, but I need help anyway!

Right now I'm with Spark (telecom) and the speed is very bad, about 10 download/0.7 upload, although the speed is always very consistent.
Anyway, Trustpower's $49 per month deal caught my eye. Right now I'm paying $110 per month for unlimited internet with Spark, but with Trustpower, you sign a 2 year contract (little sketchy), with a $195 exit fee. The first year of unlimited broadband is $49 per month, the second year is $80 per month.

Has anyone been with Trustpower in the past? Honestly as long as the speed is consistent I don't mind if it's even as bad as what I have now. $110 per month for rather slow internet is a ripoff, especially since I can't livestream at all. Thanks for the help.

I have been with Trustpower for years, their customer service is excellent, their power pricing is really competitive where I live, and as long as you are on the right power pricing plan for your needs, you shouldnt have any issues there. A 24 month term is not dodgy, a year or two ago, every provider stitched you up for 2 years! & with the amount you would save on the $49 deal compared with what you are spending, you should expect nothing less than a 2 year term for the price they are advertising. Even if the price doubles in 2 years, it is still less than what you are currently spending now. The $49 deal definately includes ADSL & fibre, just not VDSL. I know because I am on fibre with them, and I would only be eligible for the deal if I was a new customer. & their speeds are fine, no different to any other provider. I get a consistent 29 down and 9 up on their fibre plan, no issues whatsoever.
Personally I suggest you call them yourself, have a discussion and make an informed decision based on the info you get from the company directly. Not a single person on this forum said they had been customers of theirs, so how would they Know?. Anyway, I wish you all the best whatever you decide.

Alex B
03-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Your upload speed is totally normal for ADSL, it doesn't matter what provider you go with, that will not improve. If you need more upload speed you need to move to VDSL or UFB.

Ninjabear
03-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Stay away from Vodafone is my honest opinion

fireslug
06-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Im with trustpower.

I aint happy with them. Their internet sucks BIG time. Pages can take so long to load, google pops up a disconnect icon.

Their unlimited downloads cost might be low (compared to spark and vodafone), but they are much slower.

Im looking to move over to flip. But this time, i will tell them what i want, and if they can't satisfy my demands (i AM the buyer) then i will look for an ISP that CAN deliver the goods

fireslug

fireslug
06-07-2015, 09:28 PM
try calling telecom/spark and vodafone. I waited for 1 hour 20 minutes to get thru to vodafone help desk. I left telecom years ago for the same reason. LOOOOOOONG delays waiting for service.

"You are the next person in the qeue, and you are important to us - bullshit!!!!

gary67
06-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Don't ever have to wait for snap

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2015, 01:41 PM
The speeds shown are normal for ADSL.
Only way you're getting faster than 10 down / 1 up is if you go VDSL2 or UFB.
Somebody mentioned "business" plan, that won't help, ADSL is still ADSL

However, the "sync" speed that was mentioned shows the maximum attainable speed, where you'll find ISPs differ is by how much they oversubscribe their bandwidth. ISPs like TrustPower will purchase a smaller amount of international bandwidth to sustain their customers, meaning during peak times your speeds will be lower (Say, you only attain 2mbps) whereas others that you pay more for (Such as Spark) are more likely to keep a lower contention ratio (So during peak you might attain your full 10mbps).

You get what you pay for when it comes to internet. There's a little wiggle room in the mid -> upper end of the pricing scheme, but if you're going for bottom-dollar cost, expect to get that in both the customer service and the connection quality.

mzee
10-07-2015, 03:19 PM
I am happy with Actrix, a Kiwi family firm. Very good service, always keep me informed as to the state of servers etc. Answer the phone quickly and reply to emails within the hour.
100GB VDSL for $89 per month. Download is between 14Mbps & 20Mbps depending on time and day, upload about 9Mbps. A wet Sunday is the slowest.

B.M.
10-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Has anyone been with Trustpower in the past?

When Trustpower “Kinect” started out they were brilliant, but unfortunately they made some administrative changes and the whole thing turned to custard.

I couldn’t download my mail to my computer from Australia because they said allowing such would jeopardise their network.

When I pointed out I could with other ISP’s they just said that wasn’t their problem.

Then to top things off their Spam Filter kept taking out my Power Account. Yep, their own Bills were taken out by their Spam Filters and although the Help Desk was aware of it their technicians had no answer.

I really felt sorry for their Help Desk because they were good, the technicians were hopeless.

Oh, in another incident I lost my broadband and after going through the whole usual rigmarole, including replacing the modem, they informed me that they would have to call out a Technician and the fee would be $200 if the fault was found to be at my end.

Fair enough I responded, but you pay me $200 if the fault is at your end.

Whoooooo, it doesn’t work like that and the fault was in the exchange. :groan:

Anyway, I had to bite the bullet and went to Telstra Clear and have had no problems despite them having been bought out by Vodafail.

Good luck with whoever you choose. :)

Tony
10-07-2015, 04:56 PM
I am happy with Actrix, a Kiwi family firm. Very good service, always keep me informed as to the state of servers etc. Answer the phone quickly and reply to emails within the hour.
100GB VDSL for $89 per month. Download is between 14Mbps & 20Mbps depending on time and day, upload about 9Mbps. A wet Sunday is the slowest.

+1