PDA

View Full Version : Internet connections drops for 1-2mintues every 30mintues

Critical
27-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Hello,

I thought I'd sign up here and ask for help, as my current ISP has no clue what they are doing (Slingshot). For the last couple of months I have been experiencing dropping of internet connection.

Router is ASUS DSL-AC68U (a very expensive one)

Internet: VDSL

I have been on the phone with my ISP twice now, they are saying their connection is fine and they have only received a few drops each day which was "normal" apparently.

They have even sent through a Chorus guy to check for any issues (was not a problem he said) just made up some crap that wireless is not good for gaming (which is a load of bull-kitten).

I have then had to seek help from ASUS and managed to a get a replacement router from them, I have recently received this new router, but the problem still exists.

Few details;

* Connection drops every 15 - 30 minutes for about 2 - 3 minutes.
* DSL light on the router turns off.
* Connection signal is at 5 bars (excellent).
* Connection reestablishes itself.
* I have even tried connecting the cable to my laptop to see if it's just wireless and problem still appears.
* Happens to not just me, but all my other flat mates.

Anyone on these forums potentially know a fix or a problem I have not foreseen?

Regards,

Critical

wratterus
27-05-2015, 02:11 PM
1 - Get the master splitter replaced. That in itself may solve the issue.

2 - If you've got a new router (you have) and a new master splitter, and you're still seeing drop outs on the DSL, then you have to go back to your ISP, because it's not your issue

Unfortunately Slingshot are utterly hopeless when it comes to customer support - I think they are probably the worst in the country at the moment, just behind Vodafone. If they refuse to do anything about it after you've got a new master splitter and had the cabling tested, then I would recommend changing ISPs to someone who will actually help (Snap for example).

AppleFan
27-05-2015, 03:36 PM
I agree with wratterus changing isp is the best option if i were you . I have read good reviews about Snap .

Looking at google i found there are many people with similar problem for what you have with same router .
I'm getting this feeling that you're phone line is what it is causing it . Some other things which may be possible is there many be wireless interference , location of your router for where it is placed , and Channel Issue like if your neighbour is using same channel as you do like if you use 5 and that person use 5 there can be congestion in which drop out can happen .

To find out if a congestion is happening i recommend getting a app called wifi analyzer if you have a android phone.
I use it to see how my wifi is performing . It is a very good app . See link .
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

So yeah changing isp would be a great idea .

Thanks

Alex B
27-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Did Slingshot provide a VDSL modem when you joined? Try that for a few days and see if the same thing happens.

Critical
27-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Thanks wratterus and AppleFan, I have not taken into account the splitter maybe that is the cause I don't know. I will see how the connection runs without it tonight.

wratterus
27-05-2015, 04:45 PM
You do have a master splitter installed right?

dugimodo
27-05-2015, 05:00 PM
How long have you had VDSL and how long has this been happening? For VDSL installations you should not be using a plug in filter and should have a dedicated VDSL jackpoint wired off a master splitter. Chorus require a cat5 cable from the ETP to the jackpoint with an RJ45 ethernet socket and upgrade the splitter when they do the installs for spark, I'm not sure if that's true when other ISP's are involved. Plug in filters fail regularly and most of the ones around are not suitable for VDSL so if you have one that could be an issue.

Wi-Fi issues will not cause your DSL light to go out, only issues with the cable / router / cabinet / splitter can do that. My Asus ADSL2+ router had something like 6 months of continuous service with no dropouts and my current TP link VDSL router has been running a couple of weeks so far without a drop out so it's certainly not normal. Alex B's suggestion to try another router is a good one.

Another thing you can try is to only have one PC connected and see if that's more stable, sometimes routers only develop issues only under heavy load. If anyone is using torrents try stopping that for a bit. For example I had a linksys router that would reset itself anytime someone running windows XP tried to download from a torrent but was completely stable the rest of the time and with other OS's doing the same thing. I couldn't believe it at the time but it was easily proven once discovered. Asus routers are generally pretty good but no brand is 100% immune to failure.

As for the comment about wireless and gaming, irrelevant to your DSL issues but it is not as good as an ethernet connection. Particularly if it's shared among multiple users. I don't think it's your issue at all but the guys comment was not completely without merit. I know what you mean though, I had a faulty connection once and the tech tried to tell me I had too many PC's connected to it and that was why, I reported the fault again as he drove out the driveway because he hadn't fixed a thing.

Critical
27-05-2015, 05:53 PM
You do have a master splitter installed right?

I'll have to double check tonight, not entirely sure - but I believe so.

I had a faulty connection once and the tech tried to tell me I had too many PC's connected to it.

When I had ADSL, I never had any problems - occasionally I might have a drop out or so but not as frequent as this.

Did Slingshot provide a VDSL modem when you joined? Try that for a few days and see if the same thing happens.

I believe we had the option of using one of theirs, but we deiced to buy our own (knowing their one would be crap).

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2015, 07:27 PM
As of June 2013 Chorus mandated that all new VDSL2 connections must get a master splitter installed. You'll have a dedicated jackpoint *just* for VDSL2, and you won't be needing filters on any other phone-ports if that's the case.

Also, just because a router is "expensive" doesn't mean it's good. If I was you, I'd still be inclined to investigate another router temporarily. Run an isolation test on the router even with just one device attached and disable the WiFi for a few hours. See if that improves things. If it does, it may mean the router can't stand up to all the devices on your network, or the load that you're placing on it.

Yes, the EnergyImports routers that Slingshot use are *terrible* in my experience. They tried to get me to sell them. Sent me one but it wouldn't last on my network for more than a couple of minutes before dying. They sent me another coz they thought the first must be faulty... Nope, just router can't handle all the devices on my network and the load I place on the router.

Agent_24
27-05-2015, 09:16 PM
How long have you had VDSL and how long has this been happening?
Good question...

You said you had ADSL already, but now have VDSL.. VDSL is more demanding than ADSL so your line may be able to handle ADSL but not VDSL... check splitter, wiring, jackpoints, etc...

Don't know why the Chorus tech said anything about WiFi if the DSL light is going off. Completely unrelated, unless the router is so bad that whatever you're trying to do with it kills the DSL connection... seems unlikely.

It seems many people have had this kind of rubbish with Slingshot though....

Alex B
28-05-2015, 01:43 PM
True it's not a good router, but they only charge you $20 for it. $20 for good insurance so you can say to them you are using their CPE and still having issues.

wainuitech
28-05-2015, 02:42 PM
If all the Splitters etc all work out Ok, then there is one way to test where the fault is, BUT you'll need the help of a friend, family or someone else where you can take your Modem/Router, and put it on their connection that has VDSL with another ISP. If the problem still happens then its a problem with the router, if not then its slingshot or the lines somewhere along the way.

Had to do this a couple of times with customers, if only to prove to the ISP that the problem is at their end. Sometimes when we had problems with Vodafone/Telstra it was if I had to prove it wasn't my equipment, but their cable modem or line problem. When you eliminate everything in your control it proves where the fault is.

Sometimes though its neither -- Yesterday I was at a persons place, internet slow as a wet week, consistent cut outs every 5- 10 minutes, PC crashing as well, she had been blaming Slingshot, they said everything was OK. In the end it was actually AVG antivirus causing all the problems. After removing it, the internet speed came up nicely, no crashes and the connection was solid for the complete time I was there, over an hour..

inphinity
28-05-2015, 03:42 PM
As of June 2013 Chorus mandated that all new VDSL2 connections must get a master splitter installed. You'll have a dedicated jackpoint *just* for VDSL2, and you won't be needing filters on any other phone-ports if that's the case.

This mandate was since lifted, and BigPipe among other ISPs do NOT push a master filter install on users.