PDA

View Full Version : How old is my hard drive

lostsoul62
25-05-2015, 02:50 AM
Can I find out how old my hard drives are without tearing my computer apart?

psycik
25-05-2015, 07:47 AM

Get some S.M.A.R.T hard drive software. They should have access to some information in the drives (operating temperature etc) including number of running hours.

I use a piece of software called drive bender for pooling drives, and it has a function to interrogate the s.m.a.r.t status of the drive. There should be other standalone utilities that do similar.

linw
25-05-2015, 08:44 AM
HDD Guardian is good (and free!). Shows hours of use amongst many other things.

Lawrence
25-05-2015, 09:34 AM
See Hard Disk Sentinel Standard is currently free http://www.windowsdeal.com/w/hard-disk-sentinel-standard-discount-coupon-code/

Probably similar to HDD Guardian which I have just looked at

wainuitech
25-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Theres several programs about that will tell you the number of hours the drive has been running, CrystalDiskInfo is another one that will do that.

BUT the SMART wont tell you the actual date of manufacture.

To see the actual data of manufacture, on Western Digital its plainly written on the drive. On Seagates you look for the wording "Date Code" then put that code into the box http://www.westernnetworks.com/tools/seagatedatecode2.php and it will convert it to real dates, year/Month/Day. Or you can work it out yourself Eg: 03323 = 2003 / Week 32 / Day Code 3

The SMART Will show the Serial number, so you can write that down, go to the Manufactures site and it may tell you the date of manufacture, or if its still in warranty.

pctek
25-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Why do you need to know?
Mine is 2008. Hasn't failed yet so I haven't needed to replace it.

Billy T
25-05-2015, 06:06 PM

You could try looking for the oldest file date, either data or OS, there's bound to be something left from the original set up.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)