PDA

View Full Version : Antispyware

Poppa John
20-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Hi All.
Our Trend Security spyware has just finished & we will not be replacing it. Nod 32 would be our preference. but no funds available
Had a look on Google & saw Bitdefender. What is your opinion, what si your opinion on this program? I have tried various others in the past & found them a little obtrusive. PJ

pctek
20-05-2015, 02:47 PM
NOD32 is the best antivirus. It's $70 something to buy but cheaper to renew.

And then you add at least 2 antispywares as well.

Poppa John
20-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Need cover for I x XP, 1 x W7, 2X W8.1, 2 x Android tablets. PJ

Damn...just noticed that Bitdefender is NOT free. PJ

Poppa John
20-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Ouch, I didn't look properly There is a free verion. PJ

20-05-2015, 03:15 PM
Had a look on Google & saw Bitdefender.

Its not Free. There are 6month demos available(well hidden), but MIGHT NOT scan email (you'd need to check).
Also, some free AV is scan only, ie wont run in the background & only good for a cleanup after youre infected.
You must get a AV that scans email (unless using only webmail), some free AV doesnt .
From memory, Bitdefender wont install if malwarebytes is installed (was a while back , may be wrong)

PBTech has really good pricing on NOD32 .

Avast is OK for most people , just do a manual install & tick only web,file & email scans .
Its free, but you get popups all the time & will try & trick you into buying the full product.

[QUOTE=Poppa John; I have tried various others in the past & found them a little obtrusive. PJ[/QUOTE]
What you'll want is a straight AV program then, not an all dancing all singing 'internet security' program.

Poppa John
20-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Its not Free. There are 6month demos available(well hidden), but MIGHT NOT scan email (you'd need to check).
Also, some free AV is scan only, ie wont run in the background & only good for a cleanup after youre infected.
You must get a AV that scans email (unless using only webmail), some free AV doesnt .
From memory, Bitdefender wont install if malwarebytes is installed (was a while back , may be wrong)

PBTech has really good pricing on NOD32 .

Avast is OK for most people , just do a manual install & tick only web,file & email scans .
Its free, but you get popups all the time & will try & trick you into buying the full product.

What you'll want is a straight AV program then, not an all dancing all singing 'internet security' program.

So what do you recommend? PJ

20-05-2015, 03:40 PM
If you want free, Avast + Malwarebytes .
Just be carefull with the install, choose a manual install.
Download Avast from here. Avasts website has its free download at download.com (double standards , eh)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/avast_free_edition.html

If you want payware, NOD32 .

wainuitech
20-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Many of the free ones miss to much or have pop up ads trying to get you to buy the full versions. Avast used to be OK, BUT with the amount of computers I get through the workshop with Avast and are riddled, or the infections have disabled the free AV's, they simply aren't worth it. As 1101 points out, you dont need the Bells and whistles versions ( internet Security packages) a straight AV is fine.

BTW - Some free AV's wont work on Older systems Eg XP Nod32 works from XP to W10

PBTech has really good pricing on NOD32 . Single user Licence maybe, but looking at what PJ wrote he needs a least 4 user for the PC's, PBTechs price for 4 user = $212.75

The "real" price for 4 user Nod32 = $170.80

Below is the real pricing, EXCLUDING GST :)

ruup
20-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Just started to use Bitdefender seems to be good,does check in going and out going mail.You can get 6 months subscription for free here: http://www.mostiwant.com/bitdefender-internet-security-free-license-key/ .There are a few hoops to run through but it is worth it.I suggest you use https://10minutemail.net/ when giving an email address.Six months,who knows you could have won Lotto by then and be able to pay for a different AV.Cheers

Poppa John
20-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Many of the free ones miss to much or have pop up ads trying to get you to buy the full versions. Avast used to be OK, BUT with teh amount of computers I get through teh workshop with Avast and are riddled, or the infections have disabled the free AV's, they simply aren't worth it. As 1101 points out, you dont need the Bells and whistles versions ( internet Security packages) a straight AV is fine.

BTW - Some free AV's wont work on Older systems Eg XP Nod32 works from XP to W10

Single user Licence maybe, but looking at what PJ wrote he needs a least 4 user for the PC's, PBTechs price for 4 user = $212.75

The "real" price for 4 user Nod32 = $170.80

Below is the real pricing, EXCLUDING GST :)

I hear what you are saying, you only get what you pay ( or not) for, as with anything in life.PJ

20-05-2015, 04:00 PM
You are entitled to the upgrade version of NOD32, since you are upgrading from Trend AV. I assume NOD still sell upgrade licenses.
the upgrade is/was much cheaper (sorry , dont have current price ug price)

ruup
20-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Check out before you buy.... http://www.pcworld.com/article/2466590/bitdefender-internet-security-2015-review-solid-low-maintenance-pc-protection.html

wainuitech
20-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Nod still do have the cross grades ( as they call it) if you are going from one paid AV to Nod32, then the Nod pricing is the same as the renewal price, not the New pricing. They have to do it manually though.

Sorry Ruup But Personally I'll take real world experience over lab tests any day ;) PS: read the comments section as well - from mjhumphrey and several others its :devil Software.

20-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Sorry Ruup But Personally I'll take real world experience over lab tests any day ;) PS: read the comments section as well - from mjhumphrey and several others its :devil Software.

so much crap on that PCW page I cant get it to load properly :badpc:
cant see any comments in the comments section, FF tries to block all the crap (and comments section?), IE just has issues loading all the ad's etc.

wainuitech
20-05-2015, 04:32 PM
so much crap on that PCW page I cant get it to load properly :badpc:
cant see any comments in the comments section, FF tries to block all the crap (and comments section?), IE just has issues loading all the ad's etc.

Don't know how this is going to post / View, but here (hopefully) are the comments.

mjhumphrey

I've been running BD 2015 for three weeks and have been fairly happy with it, but I've found two problems:
1. Watch out if you use Microsoft Outlook. Bitdefender scans PST file contents, and mine goes back many years and contains some legitimate password protected zip attachments and (as I discovered) very old spam. Upon finding these, Bit Defender quarantined my PST file and I wasn't able to restore it. I had to create a PST file scan exclusion and restore the file from backup. Always have good backups!
2. BD scans SSL encrypted traffic by placing itself between your browser and the web site you are accessing. It decrypts the traffic, scans it, then re-encrypts it using it's own locally generated cert (and vice versa). You can see this by checking the certificate in your browser. It says the cert is issued by Bit Defender. This appears to work most of the time, but is causing problems accessing some web sites. It took a couple of hours to work out what was going on when my Garmin watch refused to sync with Garmin's web site. In the end I noticed the certificate issue by chance. Turning off the Scan SSL feature fixed the problem. If you do a search for "Bitdefender SSL" you'll find forum discussions about it. BD has said they have been working on a fix since last fall. Still waiting.
I've yet to decide whether to stick with BD. Everything else about it has been very good.

alex duransky

I'm requesting Bitdefender as well as a top software ..to please make it simple to use.

alex duransky

I'm requesting Kaspersky to produce more softwares like total security Multi device here in Asia , or total security 1 pc for 2 years. And most important request --make it affordable price.

alex duransky

bitdefender was excellent in 2014, But this year 2015, kaspersky is the call..because it's easy to use with excellent performance

Peter Nommesen

I just in beginnnng of 2015 had a bad experience with Bitdefender. I could not log on to my private mail, hotmail.com. After days of trying all different kinds of things, I realized by googling that many people had the same problem. You had to toggle of SSL scanning or upgrade to latest version. I informed Bitdefender about my problem and even went thru the hazzle of providing logs etc. They returned with the solution to uninstall AVG that was disabled anyway and upgrade to latest bitdefender. After doing that it again do not work - I again turned of the SSL scanning and it works again. But to me that is terrible customer service - if it really is a general problem all their customers with hotmail will be impacted. So, why not try to inform these customers about the solution - and make sure there is a fix to what I will call a BUG. Apart from that Bitdefender is ok.

Eamonn McLoughlin

I had an awful time with BD scanning my blu ray optical drive. I've had it for nearly 2 years and it was fine, but a few months ago it started scanning the optical drive every time I put a bluray into it and it stuttered and stammered until it froze up and crashed.
I got 2 replacement drives only to figure out by chance that it was BD scanning the drive. 86 and countless hours trying to figure out the problem down the drain.

I'm asking for a refund.

Also, there's no way of turning off the Firewall or enabling or disabling programs like I was able to with Avira.

I just hope I get the refund.

lkna

DON'T you ever go for Bitdefender, you will much regret later. I'm a long-term customer of BDF because their product has been ok and I'm not so into changing supplier frequently. However, after all those long years being their loyal customer, just now, just the first time I happened to use their customer support service, I've got the most outrageous service quality ever experienced!

I've opened a support ticket on their website, no reply. I've followed up many times with the ticket, no reply. I've also tried their so-called "Live Chat" support. No Reply Whatsoever!

So again, DON'T you ever go for Bitdefender, you will much much regret later!!!

Tom Currie

Still trying to find a way to remove the "Free Edition" of Bitdefender. The so-called User Guide says there is a Remove option in the menu, but that isn't true. So far as I can find, there is no way to remove it and no way to turn it off. It consumes so much CPU time that nothing else runs correctly, not even typing this message.

mowglycdb

Be very wary of the automatic-renewal option or the next year your
credit card will be charged. You have to log on
https://secure.ava*ngate.com/myaccount/ to cancel the automatic-renewal
option. If you don't like these business desitions do not purchase
bitdefender.

Max Vogan

Last tme i used an antivirus program i got a virus that attack the antivirus program. All of the antivirus programs are useless JUNK!

Rik Ward

I used the 2014 version and liked it, until time came for a system restore. Not possible, unless you uninstall Bitdefender and then reinstall after restoring. That never gets mentioned in any of the reviews. I switched to Kaspersky after all the hassle I had figuring out what was going on with Bitdefender.

Max Peterson

You should also use passwordturtle.com! Password Turtle makes strong passwords from easy to remember phrases so the password is secure, but memorable. I recommend it!

WaterMelon999

I tried bit defender free. It is free of any hassles of settings and monitoring, works on its own, extremely good at detection but unfortunately a resource hog on my older computer. I prefer AVG which all in all is most effective, at least is my view.

John Hulst

Yes, Bit Defender is OK. I use it for several months already. But how much did they (not you personally I hope, but your magazine) pay to write this advertorial? So many well performing virus/spam protection softwares exists.

Scott Donald

lol indeed its all crap. i do use bitdefender but there r all good. norton, TREND , kasp, avira, ect ect.. It would be great!!! to see comments that actually help the consumer to choose rather than paid/false relpies. anyhow. bitdefender works good

Jason Dagless

Why can't they just create a pure AV version for those of us that don't want spam filtering, privacy protection, password lockers, web filtering, gaming profiles etc. etc. ? Basically MS Security Essentials on steroids.

20-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Thanks for that....
but my God...quarantining the whole PST . Did Bitdefender learn nothing from other AV's fails like that many years ago ?