PDA

View Full Version : Network cabling advice

S_Wilson
18-05-2015, 04:06 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on how to extend an ethernet-based network.

I need to span ~120 metres between a couple of buildings with no line-of-sight between them, and the recommendation from the chap from my ISP who installed my wireless dish was to use ethernet cabling (he was on-site and understood the limitations and topography of my situation).

I'm not completely technologically non-complex and feel this is something I could tackle myself, but I want to be sure I have all my bases and technology covered. I'd also like to save the money it would cost me to do something I'm probably capable of myself.

As I understand it I need a repeater (i.e. an {unmanaged?} ethernet switch) part-way down the run of cable, as 120m is considered too far to span reliably without a boost. I need gel-based CAT5 or CAT6 cable (which though?) and I might as well run a redundant cable while I'm at it. Since I'll need to power the switch I also need to run power from one end of the cable, and I should enclose both these ethernet data cables (and the electrical extension cable) in alkathene pipe (for example) as mechanical protection and so that I can bury it under the soil/grass. Finally, I need some sort of waterproof box/container wherever I intend siting the switch (for argument's sake, at the halfway point).

Have I thought of everything I will need? Is a 4-port switch the piece of kit I want to boost the signal over ethernet cabling at the 60m point, given that I want to run 2 ethernet cables between buildings? Should I be running CAT5(e) or CAT6 cable?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

dugimodo
18-05-2015, 04:41 PM
For a business I'd recommend running fibre but I'm not sure that's viable for home use, might cost too much. You'd need a length of fibre and a media converter or other device with an optical connection at each end. It's possible cable would work ok despite exceeding the limit which is generally 100M but a nuisance to redo if it doesn't.

CAT5 is generally good enough for home networks and shortish runs but when pushing the distance boundaries CAT6 might be worthwhile. It just has slightly better noise rejection and crosstalk characteristics which is quite important when bundling a lot of cables together but less so for a single cable. Both theoretically will work up to 1Gbps over 100M.

I believe there is such a thing as a POE (power over ethernet) outdoor repeater which would get both it's power and the ethernet signal over the same connection. Not sure where to get them or how much though.

Alex B
18-05-2015, 05:05 PM
As above fibre with media converters is probably your best bet.

S_Wilson
18-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your response. The POE option sounds intriguing — I wonder what the limitations are length (or other) wise. If I could power a switch from one of the ethernet cables then that would save me both the cost and hassle of running a separate power cable through 60m of alkathene.

18-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Might be unexpected issues with connecting each bldings earths via the network cable (have yet to see that). You can buy isolators to solve any earth issues.

S_Wilson
18-05-2015, 05:09 PM
As above fibre with media converters is probably your best bet.

Sorry to not use Google before asking, but: about how much per metre am I looking at for fibre; am I right in assuming it can manage 100+ metres; and where would I obtain media converters (I assume they translate electrical signals to/from light waves)

wratterus
18-05-2015, 05:16 PM
This is definitely doable - and probably by yourself too. :)

Have you completely ruled out a Point to Point wireless link between the buildings? Do you have some pictures of the area/buildings?

For a cable option - although Ethernet 'only goes 100m' with a couple of good switches and good CAT6 cable, there is a very good possibility that you would be able to get 100Mbit over 120m, but I wouldn't think you'd get gigabit.

Have you priced up fiber? It might be cheaper than you think.

What speed do you require?

A better option than running AC power all the way through a conduit would be a PoE powered switch that you could place midway in a NEMA enclosure something like this (http://www.gowifi.co.nz/mounting-hardware/outdoor-enclosures/12x10x5-inch-weatherproof-nema.html).

Can't think of a decent PoE powered switch right at this second. Veracity make that kind of thing, but I don't know who sell them in NZ. A PoE powered switch can't be too hard to find.

If you need gigabit, that does bump up the price significantly though if you go the PoE route.

S_Wilson
18-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Have you completely ruled out a Point to Point wireless link between the buildings? Do you have some pictures of the area/buildings?

Have you priced up fiber? It might be cheaper than you think.

What speed do you require?

I'm not too concerned or obsessed with speed. I'm more interested in reliability in the first instance.

The technician who visited ruled out point-to-point wireless linkage — due to topography and immoveable obstacles like large trees.

I hadn't considered fibre so I'm trying to price it now.

Thanks for your thoughts…

wratterus
18-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Missed the edit time - MikroTik have this (http://www.gowifi.co.nz/switches/mikrotik-rb260gs-5-port-gigabit-managed-switch-sfp-fibre-port.html?keyword=mikrotik+poe)- lots more features than you require, but it would do the job. You'd need a gigabit PoE injector though - something like this (http://www.gowifi.co.nz/power-over-ethernet-poe/passive-poe-injectors-splitters/mikrotik-gigabit-passive-poe-injector-rbgpoe.html) then the appropriate DC power brick.

If you can find someone to pre-make you a fiber cable, a pair of something like theses and some conduit would do the bizzo.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-4792_MC200CM.html

CYaBro
18-05-2015, 05:32 PM
The other options is a couple of vdsl converters/transmitter & receiver.
These can do 100mbps up to 300m on a single twisted pair.
Not the cheapest option but maybe the least hassle.

Alex B
18-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Sorry to not use Google before asking, but: about how much per metre am I looking at for fibre; am I right in assuming it can manage 100+ metres; and where would I obtain media converters (I assume they translate electrical signals to/from light waves)

No idea on cost. But you can go up to 160km so 100m should be fine... The VDSL idea is a good one nicegear should have the bits you need and will likely be cheaper than fibre.

tmrafi
19-05-2015, 02:11 PM
6 core OM3 direct burial cable would be your best option if you could budget for it. You bury it directly and dont need a alkathene pipe or such. You would certainly need a fibre technician to install/terminate SC connectors at each end. You only need 2 cores for one connection and the rest of the cores would be spare. OM3 cable can do 100Mbps over 2Km with standard media converters or 1Gbps over 550m.
And at each end you would need a media converter such as this one for 100Mbps.
http://www.alliedtelesis.com.au/p-2219.html

wratterus
26-05-2015, 05:58 PM
http://www.gowifi.co.nz/power-over-ethernet-poe/poe-extenders/veracity-outreach-lite-100m-lan-extender-no-poe-out.html

Found that - perhaps a tad on the dear side, but would be very simple!