PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Center queery

Driftwood
15-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Was watching a few youtube videos today on my home theatre media centre.
Basically just an old Vista HP system connected to my TV.
Got to wondering if I could access youtube through the media centre.
Something I'd never tried before.
But it would not connect to the wireless network.
Found it ok but wouldn't accept the password.
Had several goes at it but it was quite adamant, wrong password.
Even had SWMBO try in case my fat fumbing fingers had flumbled.
I had heard that MS were dumping WMC, would that have anything to do with it.

pcuser42
15-05-2015, 06:49 PM
I've tried YouTube through Windows Media Centre before, I don't think it worked.

Microsoft are indeed dumping WMC from Windows 10.

Speedy Gonzales
15-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Looks like you could with a plugin called Macrotube. But it hasnt been updated for a few years now. It was for Windows 7 32 and 64 bit

I think Google had something to do with it

Driftwood
15-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks guys.
If I'm still enthused tomorow, I'll unhook the system & set it up in my mancave.
I can hardwire it to the modem in there.

wainuitech
15-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Just been playing about with http://kodi.tv/ Sometime back tried youtube on WMC and couldn't get it to work. Kodi has a add-on you can download for youtube, once installed, simply search for what you want, and play. Works A LOT better than WMC

Tried some music as well as Videos, works very well. looks like it Its a updated version of XBMC. Its got TV channels as well, but haven't tried them yet :)

gary67
16-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Looks like the app used on openelec (kodi based) on the raspberry pi. I use this on my Pi hooked up to my TV as my media player and works extremely well either for youtube or from my media server in the garage.

BBCmicro
16-05-2015, 09:27 AM
I think Google had something to do with it

I wouldn't be surprised - they seem to have pulled support from my Sony TV

(But I suppose it could be Sony's fault for not updating the firmware)

linw
16-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Just been playing about with http://kodi.tv/ Sometime back tried youtube on WMC and couldn't get it to work. Kodi has a add-on you can download for youtube, once installed, simply search for what you want, and play. Works A LOT better than WMC

Tried some music as well as Videos, works very well. looks like it Its a updated version of XBMC. Its got TV channels as well, but haven't tried them yet :)

Thanks for that headsup, WT. I have also installed Kodi as I was looking for a sub for WMC. Hadn't looked at the addon scene but YT worked a treat as you said.

Happy with Kodi as it does what I want and more.

dugimodo
16-05-2015, 12:03 PM
I've tried Kodi before it's pretty nice. Not better than media centre though other than the plug in support and more codecs. Media centre has always been the easiest to get working well with NZ freeview and that hasn't changed yet as far as I can tell.
If you take away the broadcast TV support and just use these as a media player I personally just prefer to use VLC or winamp. I don't much care for giant pretty interfaces and have all my media organised into folders, I can find my media much more quickly from windows explorer than any of the interfaces I've yet tried on a media centre.

Here's something for windows 8 & 10 users - there are free fullscreen youtube apps on the play store and windows start screen can be used with a windows remote. That tile based start screen everybody seems to love to hate works really well in a lounge setting and coupled with a remote and the "metro" style music / movies / youtube apps does everything a media centre does (except broadcast TV). With a little bit of time setting it up it works pretty well. Probably why MS are dumping media centre.

Driftwood
16-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Looks like I'll have to go with Kodi then.
I had tried it when it first came out but continued using XBMC because of it's download ability.
Kodi doesn't have it. Now, the XBMC youtube plugin search, has been disabled alltogether.

mzee
16-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Why not watch You Tube on Google Chrome?

Driftwood
16-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Why not watch You Tube on Google Chrome?

Does it work better on there?

b....
17-05-2015, 10:18 AM
I have Kodi on an old HP laptop running W7, so installed the Youtube add-on to have a play.
Works well, but you have to go through quite a few screens to get to it. Much quicker and easier to view Youtube on your normal browser.

The laptop only has VGA out, so hooked it up to the 32" Samsung in the living room which has a VGA input. Spent a relaxing couple of hours watching a Jethro Tull concert on Youtube. (Sorry, starting to show my age here.)

The new big TV in the lounge only has HDMI so I am looking at getting a VGA to HDMI converter with audio.
I see there seems to be two types for getting the audio from the laptop: 3.5mm audio plug, or USB connection.
Anyone have experience with these units?

mzee
17-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Does it work better on there?

google.co.nz , select the You Tube App. There is also an extension for Chrome "SmartVideo For YouTube™" which forces You Tube to keep caching, works well on a slow connection.
Most ISP's don't charge for You Tube via a NZ connection. If you use google.com you probably will be charged.

CliveM
17-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Chromecast on your TV takes care it rather well. Cheap and foolproof.