PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba battery problem.......Weird

jupiter1
14-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Laptop powers up seemingly OK to the welcome screen then no further.
(I can access all data ok from it on via the network).

The "power on" light is on and the battery indicator light is slowly pulsating.

Has anyone got any idears as to what the problem is and how to fix it please.

many thanks.

Driftwood
14-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Will it run from the battery or is it flat?
If it's flat, it may not be accepting a charge.

dugimodo
14-05-2015, 11:25 AM
What OS? Doesn't really sound like a battery issue.
By access data over the network do you mean you have shared folders you can see from another PC or something else?

Shut it down and remove the battery, wait 5 mins then reboot with just the mains power and no battery installed and see what happens. If that's the same you may have a software issue, see if you can get into safe mode and try a system restore back to an earlier date.

jupiter1
14-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Will it run from the battery or is it flat?
If it's flat, it may not be accepting a charge.

No, it wont run from battery.
Boot up freezes at the "welcome" screen.

jupiter1
14-05-2015, 11:34 AM
What OS? Doesn't really sound like a battery issue.
By access data over the network do you mean you have shared folders you can see from another PC or something else?

Shut it down and remove the battery, wait 5 mins then reboot with just the mains power and no battery installed and see what happens. If that's the same you may have a software issue, see if you can get into safe mode and try a system restore back to an earlier date.

Yes, shared folders seen from another PC.

Oh, removing the battery it boots and operates OK.

So, the battery is stuffed ??

jupiter1
14-05-2015, 11:40 AM
How can I test the battery ?

It has 9 terminals all of which are in-accessible to a meter probe.

dugimodo
14-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Put it back in and try again, the power down may have fixed the issue rather than the battery not being connected. If it's definitely the battery I'm not sure what testing you can do. They have built in protection circuitry which prevents you from flattening them too far or overcharging due to the dangers involved with lithium ion batteries and that can interfere with any attempt to test it. Leaving it connected to power for a while might bring it up if it's just too flat but otherwise you may be looking at a replacement.

Technician 101 -

Step 1.
Try a total power down and restart (fixes an amazing number of problems). This means removing all sources of power and waiting a bit not just turning off and back on.
Step 2.
Start analysing the problem

jupiter1
14-05-2015, 12:33 PM
dugimodo,
Thanks for reply.
Step 1 was the first thing that I did, waiting about 3 minutes.
Didn't fix the problem.

I removed the battery for about 1/2 hour then I plugged the battery back in.
The laptop booted perfectly.
Battery indicator showed "full charge".

Can only assume that it was my turn to host Murphy !
Will notify you of any further problems.
Thanks.

wainuitech
14-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Just adding to the step 1, removing the battery and leaving, it may take quite a while to drain the power, as silly as it sounds, removing the battery, no power plugged in at all, press and hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds, of course it wont start, but it will drain all internal stored power in a few seconds.