PDA

View Full Version : DVD bay to 2nd HDD

bk T
13-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Seen this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-2nd-HDD-HD-Hard-Driver-Caddy-for-12-7mm-Universal-CD-DVD-ROM-Optical-FO-/291361046312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43d678bf28) from ebay.

Anyone here has done that?

CYaBro
13-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Yup have done a few in the past, including my own old Asus laptop, and am doing one right now. :D
I just got a caddy locally from one of our suppliers.
The laptop I am doing right now has no easy access to the internal HDD so that was the main reason for doing it.
Have put an SSD in the caddy and installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 on it and the customer will use the old internal 750GB for data storage.

dugimodo
13-05-2015, 05:36 PM
I've used one temporarily for a laptop I fixed that was missing the hard drive bracket and cable while I tried to source them from somewhere. Worked really well as the only drive but I put the optical drive back in once I got the proper parts. Only downside on the one I had is it didn't have a proper bezel and didn't match the laptop so there was a very obvious rectangular hole in one side of the laptop. Not that big of a deal really.

You've reminded me actually that I still have it but I don't have the laptop any more, must see if the new owner wants it.

bk T
13-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Yup have done a few in the past, including my own old Asus laptop, and am doing one right now. :D
I just got a caddy locally from one of our suppliers.
The laptop I am doing right now has no easy access to the internal HDD so that was the main reason for doing it.
Have put an SSD in the caddy and installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 on it and the customer will use the old internal 750GB for data storage.

I am temped to get one myself - where did you buy it from? Approximately, how much it costs locally.

Am I right to say that it will then be used as an internal HDD and can install OS on it?

CYaBro
13-05-2015, 06:36 PM
I got a Silverstone 9.5mm one from Dove Electronics, a wholesale distributor, so got it for $18+gst.
PB Tech have them:
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=ENCSVT0994&name=SilverStone-TS08-White-Enclosure-with-2.5-SSDHDD-T
But I wouldn't pay their price!
Yes the new drive will show up as a second HDD in the BIOS, and you can install an OS on it and boot from it if you want to, just like any normal internal HDD.

wainuitech
13-05-2015, 07:02 PM
I got a Silverstone 9.5mm one from Dove Electronics, a wholesale distributor, so got it for $18+gst.
PB Tech have them:
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=ENCSVT0994&name=SilverStone-TS08-White-Enclosure-with-2.5-SSDHDD-T
But I wouldn't pay their price!
Yes the new drive will show up as a second HDD in the BIOS, and you can install an OS on it and boot from it if you want to, just like any normal internal HDD. Just checked Doves Site -- Holey Crap, Talk about HUGE markup by PBTech.

Lawrence
13-05-2015, 07:03 PM
They are on TM for around $12 plus P&P
I use the HP Pocket drive which I find brilliant,from time to time the pocket drive bays turn up on TM which would great for a new buld

CYaBro
13-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Just checked Doves Site -- Holey Crap, Talk about HUGE markup by PBTech.

Thats so they can have it on sale, which would be the actual RRP. :D

bk T
13-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Will order one from eBay, then.

They are standard size and measurement, and will fit in normal laptop dvd drive bays, right?
Can I assume that the screw hole is the same, too?

CYaBro
13-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Will order one from eBay, then.

They are standard size and measurement, and will fit in normal laptop dvd drive bays, right?
Can I assume that the screw hole is the same, too?

You do need to know if you need the 12.7mm or 9.5mm height model.
The 12.7mm one you linked to is certainly the most common, only fairly recent laptops use the slimline / 9.5mm drives.

pcuser42
13-05-2015, 10:27 PM
Just checked Doves Site -- Holey Crap, Talk about HUGE markup by PBTech.

It's slightly better at staff rates, but still over $40...

bk T
13-05-2015, 10:57 PM
You do need to know if you need the 12.7mm or 9.5mm height model.
The 12.7mm one you linked to is certainly the most common, only fairly recent laptops use the slimline / 9.5mm drives.

Thanks, GYaBro.

So, the only thing which I need to note is the thickness. :)

Agent_24
17-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Seen this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-2nd-HDD-HD-Hard-Driver-Caddy-for-12-7mm-Universal-CD-DVD-ROM-Optical-FO-/291361046312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43d678bf28) from ebay.

Anyone here has done that?

No, but it looks useful!