PDA

View Full Version : Internet and Mobile Services

DeSade
13-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Anyone with Vodafone for net or mobiles?
Thinking of getting a cable from them for net and it would make sense to bring the Mobiles across to them also.

Any personal opinions?

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2015, 01:20 PM
I'm with them for internet (was with telstraclear before), not mobile tho. They're not too bad. On DSL tho not cable or VDSL whatever you call it

wainuitech
13-05-2015, 01:22 PM
With them for both, it came across when they changed hands from Telstra. No real problems.

We are on Cable, while it can slow sometimes like everyone else, never actually had the same as others where its actually un-usable.

Only ever had one or two outages minor on the phones, and even then only for a few minutes, unlike some other providers. ;)

DeSade
13-05-2015, 01:26 PM
With them for both, it came across when they changed hands from Telstra. No real problems.

We are on Cable, while it can slow sometimes like everyone else, never actually had the same as others where its actually un-usable.

Only ever had one or two outages minor on the phones, and even then only for a few minutes, unlike some other providers. ;)

Can you elaborate on "can be slow" please

We can't get fibre as it is not in the area, nor VDSL as we are too far from the exchange.
Cable is our last chance for decent speed.

Anything over 15Mbps on a consistent level would be great, higher speed is desirable but consistency is more important.
Right now we can't rely on anything over 6Mbps.

wainuitech
13-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Can you elaborate on "can be slow" please

We can't get fibre as it is not in the area, nor VDSL as we are too far from the exchange.
Cable is our last chance for decent speed.

Anything over 15Mbps on a consistent level would be great, higher speed is desirable but consistency is more important.
Right now we can't rely on anything over 6Mbps.

Can be slow --- OK, :) there has been a few threads and reports over the last few months, mainly since the uptake on internet TV being more popular. During these times some are saying their internet speed on VDSL, ADSL etc has dropped so low its almost impossible to load pages or you have to :sleep while they do load. This usually happens on school holidays and between 7-9 ish PM at nights.

Here on cable, doing a speed test I get around 125-130 Mbps. When it goes "slow", it may drop down to 20-30Mbps at the worst, "usual congestion" drops to 50Mbps. Most of the time we never notice if its slowed down, we still haven't had any problems watching Internet TV. my son does a lot of online gaming, and hes the first to complain if it slows - hasn't for ages now.

The only time I really notice is when downloading something and its not coming through at its usual fast rate.

What do I mean by usual rate ? Easy, just downloaded a 156 MB file, had to be quick to get a screen shot or I'd have missed it. 11+ MB/Sec

Theres different plans /Rates, mines NOT the top end, cant really justify the additional cost to go to that - I'm more than happy with what I have :)

Mirddes
13-05-2015, 03:57 PM
im on the 130/10 cable plan
what wainuitech says about cable is spot on.

the top end is a lot more and i can't get fiber at my location. the unavailable options being 100/100 and 200/50.

130/20 would be a start. the upload really matters.

DeSade
13-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Can be slow --- OK, :) there has been a few threads and reports over the last few months, mainly since the uptake on internet TV being more popular. During these times some are saying their internet speed on VDSL, ADSL etc has dropped so low its almost impossible to load pages or you have to :sleep while they do load. This usually happens on school holidays and between 7-9 ish PM at nights.

Here on cable, doing a speed test I get around 125-130 Mbps. When it goes "slow", it may drop down to 20-30Mbps at the worst, "usual congestion" drops to 50Mbps. Most of the time we never notice if its slowed down, we still haven't had any problems watching Internet TV. my son does a lot of online gaming, and hes the first to complain if it slows - hasn't for ages now.

The only time I really notice is when downloading something and its not coming through at its usual fast rate.

What do I mean by usual rate ? Easy, just downloaded a 156 MB file, had to be quick to get a screen shot or I'd have missed it. 11+ MB/Sec

Theres different plans /Rates, mines NOT the top end, cant really justify the additional cost to go to that - I'm more than happy with what I have :)

Can you tell me if you have the "home phone" portion and if that phone is a Land Line or a VOIP.
The other half will not allow a change without a phone line and that line needs to be non-VOIP.

wainuitech
13-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Can you tell me if you have the "home phone" portion and if that phone is a Land Line or a VOIP.
The other half will not allow a change without a phone line and that line needs to be non-VOIP. We got the Following:

Internet
Phone x 2 (two numbers, Ones the business the others a private Number - NON VOIP)
TV HD package, no other "extra" channels Eg: no sport / Movie etc
Mobiles x 2
Several other addins relating to the phones Eg:Unlimited free Toll calls to anywhere in NZ or Aussie (land Lines) -- Well Technically not "unlimited" its 100Hrs/Month, even SWMBO cant yack that long over a month :D

The phones come through the same cable, all that happens is when they install the box / Connection on the side of the house, some of the connections in the box are for Phone, some for TV , some for Internet, so its all in the One cable.

The easiest way is to call them and simply ASK, tell them what you want, just say you dont want VOIP, just a standard phone connection. So many stuff-ups and mis-understandings can be avoided by just asking, dont do it online because when actually talking to someone you can ask a question and get a answer right away. :)

We got told a couple of years ago to call them every year, and they can change plans / Costs if we wanted, they are creating new plans all the time, last time we got several extra's added in for free.