PDA

View Full Version : open with

23-12-2001, 10:02 AM
when opening a file and the dialog box pops up and asks 'which programme do you want to open it with'how do you determine the correct one, nine times out of ten I get it wrong, and is there any way to correct it after getting it wrong ,or getting another shot at it.

23-12-2001, 10:54 AM
Well What I Do Is Make Sure The Box Always Open This Type Of File with this program Is
unchecked and just go through your programs

23-12-2001, 11:17 AM
Many programs on installation set themselves up to open specific files: eg Word will open the .doc extension automatically.

If a file doesn't automatically open it often means you don't have the correct program. There are however exceptions: .dat files will open in Notepad or Wordpad. If in doubt try it with Notepad.

Which extensions do you have problems with?

23-12-2001, 11:30 AM
I would be a bit wary of opening files that aren't associated with programs. Some of them aren't supposed to be 'opened' as such, and you might find yourself biting off more than you can chew.

How about telling us the extensions of the files you are having trouble opening so that someone could offer more specific advice on what program to associate with it, or whether you should be leaving them alone.

23-12-2001, 09:44 PM
Hello Ray,

Go to the following link and download the freeware utility 'Filedrag' this utility recognises over 3300 different file extensions and will automatically tell you the programe required to open them with >>
http://aigarsoft.yo.lv/indexen.html

Alan

26-12-2001, 07:58 AM
Thanks to you all for your responses, I was working in win explorer opening a photo file in ulead express, Which strangely enough I have opened before (windows is a temperamental beast at times)I think it's female