PDA

View Full Version : Connecting 2 PCs to Single Monitor

learning
02-05-2015, 10:10 PM
I have 2 PCs with HDMI Out on the graphics card that I want to connect to a single monitor which has a HDMI input.

I want to be able to setup these PCs so they connect to one monitor and I can toggle between the 2 PCs as needed.

I currently have a wireless mouse/keyboard connected via a Bluetooth USB dongle. I want the single keyboard and mouse to drive both PCs if possible
I also have a single Ethernet cable that I would like to share between the 2 PCs.

I am guessing I will need a KVM switch of some sort?
Any suggested method of hooking these 2 PCs to one monitor and/or suggested hardware out there on market to use?

Thanks

dugimodo
03-05-2015, 12:33 AM
You could set teamviewer up on them, I use it to control my Media PC in the lounge without turning the TV on. That way you are remote controlling the 2nd PC in a window or fullscreen.
It's a software solution and free. Otherwise yeah probably a KVM switch.

In my case I have dual screens so I can park teamviewer on the 2nd and control both PC's with one keyboard and mouse, I use the PC as a media server and teamviewer lets me remotely shut it down without having to go into the room when I'm done. I set one PC to always run teamviewer on startup and launch it when required on the other.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx?pid=google.s.au&gclid=COrgmZP7osUCFdgjvQodkDoAzQ

Mirddes
03-05-2015, 02:47 PM
i have a ps/2 kvm in my garage im not using. was given it by a member here on pressf1 many years ago.

you can have it if you can pay for shipping.

vga+ps/2 might not be so useful in your situation however.

learning
03-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys, I will look into Team viewer although I am bit more inclined towards a more hardware 'flick the switch' based solution.
I want to make one box Win 7 client and other a sever. I am practicing MS based server/client stuff.

Mirddes - I am bit far away so I will pass on shipping it over =)

paulw
04-05-2015, 09:57 AM
I would go with the KVM.