PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Find a Free Partition Program for windows

23-12-2001, 09:27 AM
I Want A Patition Program So I Can Install Another Versian Of Windows and Linix so I Can Ditch Windows ME Which Is Too Unreliable and I Also Want A Boot Utilitie so I Can Choose My operating System.
My Computer IS A Packard Bell I Media With 128 Megs of ram
And A Athlon 1ghz with windows ME

23-12-2001, 10:54 AM
a couple of free ones- Ranish Partition Manager & partion resizer. have a search for them.....if i find where i got them from i'll post back.

23-12-2001, 11:04 AM
Does Pation resizer create partions and can it support windows Me And can I put linix and win95 on

23-12-2001, 11:04 AM
Does Pation resizer create partions and can it support windows Me And can I put linix and win95 on in seperate partions

23-12-2001, 11:06 AM
Does Pation resizer create partions and can it support windows Me And can I put linix and win95 on in seperate partions and can I use The Win 95 upgrade disk straight on

23-12-2001, 12:00 PM
You already have a free partitioning tool called FDisk on your startup disc - you did make one didn't you? It will do the job very well. Your Linux system will also contain one as well as a Boot utility.
Why don't you sort out your Me system and perhaps learn a little at the same time. I have been using Me since the day of it's release and would not have any other. It just takes a bit of effort, but doesn't that apply to all OS'S?

23-12-2001, 02:12 PM
Thats Not True I Got Used To windows 95 so easily and its reliable windows ME IS A HUNK OF CRAP SO THERE

23-12-2001, 02:42 PM
Be a bit careful, Haden. At the moment you have a computer that works after a fashion with WindowsME (Although It Seems To BE a Bit Erratic with Capital Letters).

If you are not careful, you could finish up with a computer which does not work.

I like Linux -- but there is a LOT to learn before you can use it easily.

Befopre you do anything, make sure you have a WinME rescue disk (which you have tested to be sure that it can boot the machine) , and that you have a CD which can be used to restore ME if all else fails.

You might be better off with a cleaned up WindowsME. Your W95 Update needs to have a version of Windows on the disk to hard disk (I think that the trick is to make a directory called 'C:\Windows, and put a file called 'win.com' inside that), and it also needs an installation floppy which can recognise your CD drive.

Have a good read of the Linux guides and HOWTOs. It is not totally easy and user-friendly to install -- like anything else 'If it was that easy to do it would be useless'.

Use the search window at the top of this page: enter [ 'getting started' linux ] without the '[' and ']', and click on the 'NZ' button and 'Go'. The first few results will get you started.

I don't want to put you off Linux, but don't go into it thinking it's going to be totally straighforward. Especially with a multi boot.

24-12-2001, 06:12 PM
I recommend partition magic 7 and 98 second edition myself after you do a clean format of your hard drive only way to erase ME unfortunately,

24-12-2001, 09:38 PM
I Can Install Win2000 or xp on the second partition which is 3 gigs cant i but are they any good for games made for Windows95