PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro now up to date with the latest security patches.................

Billy T
24-04-2015, 09:46 PM
I'm not one for fiddling with the Registry, the consequences could be almost as bad as arriving home with lipstick on your unmentionables, but I took a leap of faith, followed instructions and before I knew it, I had 36 security updates downloaded and installed. After that, I got the bit between my teeth and did the same for my laptop, then Mrs T's computer, and it all went swimmingly. From their descriptions, it appeared that some of the updates were rather important too!

Funny thing though, all three are still running MSE, and the two desktops are showing a red MSE icon in the system tray, along with the message that XP is no longer supported, but the laptop has stubbornly stayed green and makes no mention of any problems, and has never gone red. It wasn't affected at all today either, not even during the re-igniting of security updates for XP, which I thought would kick it off for sure. Must be female, and related to Mrs T. :D

It was a simple edit, but the outcomes were definitely worth the effort.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

wainuitech
25-04-2015, 10:17 AM
They are only coming through because MS are still putting out updates for their customers who have "Custom Support," an after-retirement contract designed for very large customers.

Alex B
25-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Nope, they come through because XP POS edition is still supported and you can trick XP into reporting it is POS edition. IIRC the updates you're thinking of need to be deployed via WSUS/SCCM. In other news, please, just let XP die.

wainuitech
25-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Nope, they come through because XP POS edition is still supported and you can trick XP into reporting it is POS edition. IIRC the updates you're thinking of need to be deployed via WSUS/SCCM. In other news, please, just let XP die. :thumbs: in bold.

Doesn't matter why anyway, XP is a Piece of S**** now compared to others OS's, MANY sites have problems when using it, and more and more hardware manufactures no longer support it either - was good in its day.

pcuser42
25-04-2015, 03:40 PM
please, just let XP die.

Please oh please let XP die.

gary67
25-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Finally removed it from our spare desktop but the last two editions of lubuntu have a big flaw as in they default to 648x400 screen resolution which can't be changed. So back to puppy Linux it is.

Billy T
04-05-2015, 09:46 PM

Why? You don't have to use it if you don't wish to, but some people still find it entirely adequate for their needs, as indeed do I, but the big difference is that those who continue to use it don't proselytize to others the merits of later iterations. You can boldly go forward to experience whatever the latest OS may offer, but some computer users are more interested in earning a living than setting up the latest Flash-Harry OS and getting to know it. That is a luxury for which I do not at present have time.

It will pass away in the fullness of time, Win 7 beckons for my next computer, :D and the present unit will displace my old W2K box which is now becoming a bit geriatric.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :2cents:

wainuitech
04-05-2015, 09:56 PM
It will pass away in the fullness of time, Win 7 beckons for my next computer, and the present unit will displace my old W2K box which is now becoming a bit geriatric.
Just some advise :)

Windows 7 has already been discontinued, while there's plenty about still, don't wait to long, or Like XP it will be gone and can no longer be purchased.

B.M.
05-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Well Iíve got two Laptops and a Desktop still running XP and doing everything I ask of them.

However, were I to upgrade the O/Sís it would completely overwhelm the hardware and take a giant step backwards.

Frankly, I think the resource requirements of these new O/Sís is obscene.

What happened to 640k of memory? :D

gary67
05-05-2015, 09:12 AM
From what I have heard Win10 will run on old hardware. Although my spare computer that was running XP an older pentium 4 is now running Puppy Linux and it flies with that on it.

Lawrence
05-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Windows 10 still needs support for PAE, NX, and SSE2

Speedy Gonzales
05-05-2015, 09:42 AM
But if you use Media Center now, (with a version of windows thats got it), dont upgrade to Windows 10. Because it wont be there

Agent_24
05-05-2015, 03:44 PM

Never! ;)

paulw
05-05-2015, 04:51 PM
I still use win XP as my daily drive at work desktop. My laptop is Win 7 and win 10. Upgraded the finance committee at home Win XP laptop to a Win 8.1 HP machine yesterday..

pcuser42
05-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Never! ;)I will gladly shoot it ;)

Richard
06-05-2015, 11:51 AM
As Wainui so rightly pointed out " it was good in its day!" In fact it was an excellent operating system, possibly the best that MS have ever come up with.

Billy T
06-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Just some advise :)

Windows 7 has already been discontinued, while there's plenty about still, don't wait to long, or Like XP it will be gone and can no longer be purchased.

I am future-proofed! :D

I bought Win 7 Pro 32bit and 64bi, still shrink-wrapped, several months ago for an absolute bargain basement price on TM.

It was ex Ingram Micro (via an employee I was told) and is labelled as such, so its parentage is beyond reproach.

I'll be getting a new computer soonish and it will be installed at that time.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

Greg
06-05-2015, 11:50 PM
Why oh why do peoples dislike XP so badly? It was the bestest opsys ever created! *kiss kiss hug hug love love*

8.1 comes close, but man, this is an argument no one will ever win unless you're an uber useless intelligent computer guy.

Alex B
07-05-2015, 08:10 AM
It's not a dislike, more it's totally unsupported and not receiving security patches anymore.

pcuser42
07-05-2015, 08:33 AM
"Was" being the key word there. ;)

gary67
07-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Why oh why do peoples dislike XP so badly? It was the bestest opsys ever created! *kiss kiss hug hug love love*

Win7 was even better, but man, this is an argument no one will ever win unless you're an uber useless intelligent computer guy.

Fixed that for you :thumbs:

07-05-2015, 09:51 AM
It's not a dislike, more it's totally unsupported and not receiving security patches anymore.

Not as big a deal as made out to be(for now). Just use FF or Chrome & keep off internet banking if really concerned
Stupidity is more of a security issue , go on, open that bogus email , click that popup, install that file from Cnet. :-)

Even when XP was still supported, many of the XP PC's I saw werent being updated anyway. Thousands non updated XP PC's had zero issues caused by not being updated (incl mine when I ran XP)
System updates are no magic bullet against malware,viruses etc: malware would infect PC's regardless of if it was updated or not.

No one says dont use your 1 year old, mid price Android, as there is at least 1 known security issue that wont be patched on old
versions of Android. Double standards ?

Alex B
07-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Actually that exact issue was on the front page of Reddit today: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-android-update-problem-fix,29042.html

We aren't talking about a 1 year old OS either. We are talking about an OS that would be at highschool by now if it were a person.

dugimodo
07-05-2015, 11:40 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking with XP if it's doing everything you need. I do think newer OSes are better personally though.
However you can't compare a phone OS to a PC OS really, even if you completey muck up your phone with every possible malware and security issue in creation a factory reset will have it back as a fully functional phone again in just a few minutes. A PC is an entirely different proposition.

I have an older core 2 duo PC I play with occasionally, I've set it up with both the current version of Linux MINT and XP home. Linux looks nicer, has a better range of pre-installed apps, and finds all the hardware drivers automatically. XP boots faster, is easier to use, takes a bit longer to set up and find drivers for, and does everything I can think of to try without issue. Of the two I'd still choose XP. Particularly because it can play Blu-rays and stream lightbox - two functions I find unreasonably difficult to get working under Linux. Everything else I try works fine on both except I find Linux won't use hardware acceleration to smooth browser scrolling making it seem jerky and glitchy.

Considering XP was released in 2001 it stands up pretty well in my opinion. I personally would still prefer windows 7 or 8 but I'm not going to buy them for this old machine when I already have an XP key and the free option of linux is not stacking up for me even though it's 13-14 years newer.

07-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Actually that exact issue was on the front page of Reddit today: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-android-update-problem-fix,29042.html

My Samsung Tab & my Samsung ph are both on Jelly Bean. Neither can be upgraded (ie Samsung wont).
Heck the ph is only 1.5 years old, yet still only on 4.12 .

paulw
07-05-2015, 12:38 PM
My Samsung Tab & my Samsung ph are both on Jelly Bean. Neither can be upgraded (ie Samsung wont).
Heck the ph is only 1.5 years old, yet still only on 4.12 .

That's why my main phone is still a Nexus 4 and the wife's is a Moto G . Both get updates fast.. Next time I update it will be to the Nexus 5 2015 model..

Billy T
08-05-2015, 10:23 PM

Beg to differ. With that simple registry edit it will continue to receive security patches for a few years to come, and in my case this will be plenty of time to get a new PC and install W7.

It is the best OS I've ever had, starting from W3.1 then 3.11, W95, W98, W2000 then on to XP.

I'm not interested in running at the front of the pack, or analysing my OS performance by speed etc, I judge my OS by the number of problems it causes me, and XP has been rock solid.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :stare:

pcuser42
08-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Beg to differ. With that simple registry edit it will continue to receive security patches for a few years to come, and in my case this will be plenty of time to get a new PC and install W7.You're getting patches for a different version of Windows which happens to be based on the same codebase. Microsoft aren't testing these patches on XP and it could quite easily break the OS.

wainuitech
09-05-2015, 12:33 PM
You're getting patches for a different version of Windows which happens to be based on the same codebase. Microsoft aren't testing these patches on XP and it could quite easily break the OS. Had this happen Yesterday, for starters it wouldn't update at all as the clean install only had IE6 and that couldn't be upgraded to IE8 without other previous updates, only thing that would happen when running windows update is you got redirected to the page saying no longer supported etc. The updates did slowly trickle through on their own ( after 2-3 hours) went and altered the reg, and updates again started working, then it all turned pear shaped --- one set of updates went in and crash bang wallop --- OS screwed wouldn't even boot :crying.

Lurking
09-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Beg to differ. With that simple registry edit it will continue to receive security patches for a few years to come, and in my case this will be plenty of time to get a new PC and install W7.

It is the best OS I've ever had, starting from W3.1 then 3.11, W95, W98, W2000 then on to XP.

I'm not interested in running at the front of the pack, or analysing my OS performance by speed etc, I judge my OS by the number of problems it causes me, and XP has been rock solid.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :stare:

Well said Billy, look at those two ABs retiring!!!!, running from the front and bandaged up to the hilt, stuff that.

A bit like asking for amateur sport to be re-instated, cricket in the summer and rugby in the winter, full stop.

Lurking.

Ps. and yes I played a lot of amateur sports in my day.

lurks.

Alex B
09-05-2015, 06:27 PM
I've moved our firm from XP to 7 for some of the most novice old scared of change users at work. Put 7 in classic mode they hardly even know the difference, but at least it's supported. No one is telling you you need to go to the latest OS, just to one that is supported. Which includes Windows 7 at this stage. Beg to differ all you like, XP is unsupported.

Agent_24
09-05-2015, 08:20 PM
No one is telling you you need to go to the latest OS, just to one that is supported. Which includes Windows 7 at this stage. Beg to differ all you like, XP is unsupported.

The support status of XP (and earlier) is irrelevant if your usage is for legacy applications \ devices that do not work in newer versions of Windows. I will be keeping XP around on older machines for exactly that reason.

XP is mature, stable, and still runs on a huge range of hardware, so if you still need to use it, you can. Just be careful about security...