PDA

View Full Version : What sort of game is Star Office 6.0 (Beta)?

22-12-2001, 09:15 PM
About a month ago I downloaded all 100 Meg of it, and installed it, then the other day a notice on the computer appeared for no reason and said something like 'the beta version has expired' and ever since, every time I turn the computer on it tries to display a file, the first time was a text file, after turning the computer on a couple of times I deleted it, So then it displayed another text file so I deleted that, then I went to the control panel and 'removed' the program, yea right !!!!, it just took 'Star Office 6.0' off the list of programs, Now I turn on the computer if come up with that common Microsoft box say which program would you to open this *.* file with (sorry I never took the name of it) I tried to reinstall Star Office 6.0 but the install process says not enough room on C: drive.

My Suggestion if you make any files with this Beta version, back them up, or make sure they are in some other directory, Because once that warning notice appears, you can not open Star Office 6.0 again.

I would expect this, if I installed a 'share ware' program and continued to use it after the trail period and never paid for it, But come on SUN give us a break.

23-12-2001, 01:14 AM
Haven't used Star Office 6.0 (Beta) myself, but I do know that it is not a game, it is an office suite.

JM

23-12-2001, 03:38 AM
Um!! you missed my sick joke or to put it another way it is a 'game of trouble' when the version expires.

23-12-2001, 03:26 PM
Maybe they want you to try it, like it, and buy it.;<)

The linux version is free isn't it?

Maybe a purge of old files and a defrag would give you enough room to reinstall the beta.

23-12-2001, 05:19 PM
Hi Eric,

If you downloaded your version off a free magazine CD, it will only be a trial version (3 months) and if you want to keep using, you will have to buy the full version.

Regards, RINGO

24-12-2001, 05:22 PM
Star Office is free[ for personal use], and has been since Sun took it over from the German Company.
It is not a Game but an alternative to Bill's 'Office 9x'

24-12-2001, 10:47 PM
I NO IT IS NOT A GAME, this was a sick joke because now I can not use star office 6.0 it is getting on my bloody tit, Since the trail version I download from Sun web site has finished, and I have deleted all the program, gone and deleted every bit of Star Office 6.0 with 'Regedit' each time now I turn on the computer, it display the character set from 'Arial Narrow Bold (TrueType)'