PDA

View Full Version : Norton Ghost is gone, Windows 8 (apparently) cant 'ghost' - what to do??? Advise pliz

Aporosa
10-04-2015, 07:37 AM
Hi,

I went and purchased Norton Ghost for my Windows 7 laptop and have been using it for the past year. I have a new Windows 8 desktop, set it all up and went to load Ghost (so I could create an image of the C drive onto D) and it refused to accept the pass key. Contacted Norton - "sorry, we no longer sell Ghost". So phoned Microsoft - "do you have an imaging/ghosting system included with Windows 8?". "No, goodbye"; helpful as ever.

So now I have a near new copy of Norton Ghost that doesn't work and a new computer I want to ghost/image.

Can anyone suggest a free RELIABLE option that does this is or is there something cheap (not $175 which I paid for Ghost) that will allow me to ghost/image my C drive to my D so I can reinstall every few months to keep the beast running like a rocket?

As always, you help is appreciated.

Thanks, Apo

wainuitech
10-04-2015, 08:00 AM
So phoned Microsoft - "do you have an imaging/ghosting system included with Windows 8?". "No, goodbye"; helpful as ever. Thats wrong for a start, YES they do.

Theres a couple of ways, have a read how-to-make-system-image-backup,26542.html (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-make-system-image-backup,26542.html) also explained windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup (http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup).

You can also use third party software, personally I use Active@disk Image http://lsoft.net/diskimage.aspx There are quite a few others as well that work perfectly fine.

On Active @ if you download the 21 day Trial 163MB version it allows you to make a bootable CD for recovery ( or making an image as well). There is a free version, but it doesn't have the Bootable CD, details http://www.disk-image.net/disk-image-freeware.htm

Theres many ways to image, you can even do it Via command prompt, but thats a bit more complicated :nerd:

gary67
10-04-2015, 08:21 AM
+1 for active@ not free but cheap enough

Aporosa
10-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Awesome!! I'll check out the video on how-to-make-system-image-backup,26542.html first then if that fails, go with the other options. You always come through wainuitech and thanks also gary 67!!!

Press F1 is awesome. Apologies everything from me is one way, I just ask and never give back, but that is more a reflection of my knowledge than willingness....

CHeers!!!!!

linw
10-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Macrium Reflect free will do all you want. Others you might look at are EaseUS ToDo and Aomei Backupper - both free and very comprehensive.

At $175 you should count yourself lucky Ghost is not now for sale!

dugimodo
10-04-2015, 09:35 AM
There's also free options from hard drive manufacturers, normally a cut down version of Acronis. I personally haven't had much luck with it lately but it has worked for me in the past. The trouble with creating an image is you often don't know if it'll restore successfully until something goes wrong, and testing it can actually damage your system if it doesn't work right. Best to keep file backups of anything important as well and not just rely on an image. I create images but rarely have I ever used them again, actually I may never have other than the very first time I tried one.

I do clone hard drives fairly often, which is not quite the same. Normally because I'm replacing the system drive with something better. I have had a lot of trouble successfully cloning between different drive types with all the software I've tried. Active@, Acronis, Aomei, all have given me some success and some failures. Often a cloned drive needs to be repaired to make it bootable and even then I sometimes have to try a few times with different programs to get success.

Images & Clones work best when the target drive is exactly the same type and capacity as the original, restore to a different sized drive or a different type can be problematic.

pctek
10-04-2015, 10:08 AM
I use Active@disk Image http://lsoft.net/diskimage.aspx

+1

Ghost stopped being really Ghost years ago when Nortons bought them out. Piece of junk now.

10-04-2015, 10:55 AM
There's also free options from hard drive manufacturers, normally a cut down version of Acronis. I personally haven't had much luck with it lately but it has worked for me in the past.

The new (free) WD imaging/clone software is very good, I no longer need active@ .
The older WD/segate/acronis software wasnt that good, too many issues with USB HD's

Aporosa
10-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Wainuitech - bro, a question please regards the use of the Windows 8.1 system image backup. I read the additional notes but am a little confused because of the computer jargon. My questions:
1. Does the Windows 8.1 system image backup make a 'ghost' image like Norton Ghost - all your installed programmes like my Endnote including the link to where the library is kept on my D drive, your email setup, your MS Outlook calandar, all configurations including the defrag you last did?
2. If yes, can I save a copy of that image on the D drive (like I could with Ghost) and reinstall C drive at a later date so it resets the C drive back to when the image was made? Essentially, is this like Ghost because I'm not sure if that is what the additional notes (www.windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup)
3. If this is what I want, should I maybe just look at using Active@disk Image?

As always, your advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers bro, Apo

dugimodo
10-04-2015, 01:19 PM
An image is a snapshot of exactly what's on the hard drive you create it from. Yes you can store a windows image of C on D and restore it back to how it was using the inbuilt tool. Active@ is easier to use and restore from and also quicker but the windows one works really well once you get the hang of it.

Personally when using Active@ I create a bootable disk and use that both to create the image and to restore it. Imaging from within windows is not as reliable.

gary67
10-04-2015, 02:29 PM
I went with active@ because win7 home pre won't image over a network. Will Win8.1 and Win10 have that option?

Agent_24
10-04-2015, 02:41 PM
If nothing else works, you can image *any* drive at sector level - the only problem is you can't resize it, and you have to waste time copying all the free space too.

wainuitech
10-04-2015, 03:21 PM
I went with active@ because win7 home pre won't image over a network. Will Win8.1 and Win10 have that option?

Windows 8.1 Pro and above has the option to backup to a Network Location, not to sure if the home/Standard versions do or not. Cant check as the only 8.1 Std I have here is on a laptop that's in a million pieces :D

One thing I hate about the inbuilt W8.1 ( or 7) is you cant put a image back to a smaller drive. Meaning if you have a 1TB drive with lets say 300GB used, and you make a W8.1 Image by the inbuilt, you HAVE to have either a 1TB or larger drive to restore it to. If you try with a 500GB drive, even though theres plenty of room available Windows image says not enough capacity (or similar wording). dugimodo mentioned it earlier.

Where as Active @ no problems about drive capacity, as long as the drive is big enough it will lay it back down.

Personally I only use Active to back up customers drives to an external USB before reinstalling or working on if required. Where is becomes "interesting" is when you have a name brand computer like HP's with their 7-8 partitions of all different formats, sometimes it wont work.:waughh:

On my own I do it one of two ways. Either Via WHS (Windows Home Server) OR on any fresh install I do the install, update, install any programs, then make a image / .wim file and if its required to take back to the start simply pull the .wim file back via a PXE boot (network Boot) BUT you need a Server to do it, I'm using Server 2012R2.

mzee
11-04-2015, 09:56 PM
I always use Acronis 11 or Acronis Universal, whichever suits best. Never had any problems.
*Will install to any drive/partition so long as it is big enough.
*Will create an image from within Windows.
*Creates a boot disk with a copy of Acronis on it.
*You can mount an Image like a drive if you only require to restore individual folders/files.
*You can check the Image file for errors after creating it.
*Acronis Universal restores to another machine.
*Very reasonable price.
*Much faster than Ghost and makes smaller files.

wainuitech
11-04-2015, 10:15 PM
I always use Acronis 11 or Acronis Universal, whichever suits best. Never had any problems.
*Will install to any drive/partition so long as it is big enough.
*Will create an image from within Windows.
*Creates a boot disk with a copy of Acronis on it.
*You can mount an Image like a drive if you only require to restore individual folders/files.
*You can check the Image file for errors after creating it.
*Acronis Universal restores to another machine.
*Very reasonable price.
*Much faster than Ghost and makes smaller files. Just curious ---- How many times have you actually put a image back ?

Not just check to make sure its says its OK but actually made sure 100% it has worked ?

I've personally seen it happen several times from various customers as well as done myself, all the checks say it was OK, but when it was actually needed it doesn't work.

mzee
11-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Just curious ---- How many times have you actually put a image back ?

Not just check to make sure its says its OK but actually made sure 100% it has worked ?

I've personally seen it happen several times from various customers as well as done myself, all the checks say it was OK, but when it was actually needed it doesn't work.

Quite often. A couple of weeks ago I restored Windows 3 times after a bad attack from some rogue software. I have also serviced many computers over the years and always made a back up with Acronis & only once did I have a failure. On my own computers I back up every time I make any major changes, or do a virus scan, so a failure wouldn't matter much.

Nomad
12-04-2015, 08:12 AM
How's Ease US? They have a free version.

Aporosa
12-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks dugimodo... will follow your advise re Active@, sounds good. You are a champ!! Apo

wainuitech
12-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Quite often. A couple of weeks ago I restored Windows 3 times after a bad attack from some rogue software. I have also serviced many computers over the years and always made a back up with Acronis & only once did I have a failure. On my own computers I back up every time I make any major changes, or do a virus scan, so a failure wouldn't matter much. You must be one of the lucky ones. Have one customer who did regular backups and ran the checks, but when the HDD failed every single backup was corrupted, Acronis simply said nothing they could do she should have tried putting the backups back before they were needed.

I've also had a few times images say they worked yet didn't ( when backing up customers drives) other times its worked fine.