PDA

View Full Version : email attachment size

Peter Coleman
05-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Hi guys,I'm trying to email some photos but thunderbird tells me the file size is to big.It's only 29M.Surely thats not a big file these days,I'm with Xtra,should that matter.If so,are there any ways round this.Thanks
Peter

pctek
05-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Change to Gmail.
Yahoo is the pits anyway.

Yahoo/Xtra
Send and Receive limit: 20MB (per message).

wainuitech
05-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Even Gmail--- 29MB is to big. The maximum allowed is 25MB unless its done Via Google Drive.

You can send messages up to 25 megabytes (MB) in size. If you’d like to send attachments that are larger than this, you can insert from Google Drive instead.https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6584?hl=en

Peter Coleman
05-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys,what a ridiculous size limit.How do businesses get on trying to send stuff to each other.Looks like I might have to use onedrive or something.Thanks

Peter

Nick G
05-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Outlook.com will let you send that without any issues, you can attach files upto 300mb using OneDrive.

wainuitech
05-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys,what a ridiculous size limit.How do businesses get on trying to send stuff to each other.Looks like I might have to use onedrive or something.Thanks

Peter After looking at Uncle Google --you can edit your registry to allow larger emails to be sent (unlimited sizes), BUT that would be useless, as its the ISP's that set the limits. So if you set your email program for 50MB for example, it will get rejected.

That's why there's options like One Drive, Goole Drive etc.
A link is sent to the recipient and then they can download it at their choosing. Nothing worse on a slow connection (even broadband) and a large attachment coming through, see it all the time people send family pictures and the whole email gets stuck so you have to go into the webmail and either save from there or delete.

That's where programs like mailwasher are good, you can see what's waiting to come through and delete them from your ISP server so you don't have to download them if you don't want to.

Webdevguy
05-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Businesses don't allow you to send big files because they don't want their email systems to be filled up with clutter.

dugimodo
05-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Photo's don't normally need to be fullsize when sent via E-mail, you can always resize them smaller. Depending on how you attache them windows can even offer to do it automatically. If you resize a photo to 1080P it still looks great an most PC screens but can be significantly smaller than full quality.

Otherwise break it into a few messages or upload it somewhere and send a link. Or go oldschool and send a CD via post.
I don't think these limits are that restrictive, and they help keep the amount of e-mail traffic manageable. I get annoyed at work when I get a lot of large attachments as I then have to do some mailbox maintenance or I hit my mailbox size limit.

Greg
05-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Peter... I have to agree with all the responses above - they're all good. I used to work for an ISP helpdesk and had this query a ziillion times.