PDA

View Full Version : link computer to tv

jayal
01-04-2015, 08:03 AM
apparently there is,are devices e.g. a laptop, that can be the link between computer and TV - just wondering if there's a smaller cheaper device that'd do the job. Would need an HDMI connection is all, methinks

01-04-2015, 08:24 AM
The answer is yes.

Without knowing what you have & what you want to achieve thats my best answer .:p

Do you need audio passthrough ?
Do you need HDMI because of 'Digital Rights Management' of some devices or vid streams ?

Laptops now often have HDMI built in.
PC's : you can add a cheap vid card with HDMI & audio passthrough
Laptops: you can get USB devices with HDMI output, no audio passthrough on those
Many TV's have svga inputs , that may be an option. I used to use SVGA & separate audio cable into my TV from the PC

dugimodo
01-04-2015, 08:36 AM
Do you want to use the TV as a monitor or do you want to stream video files over a network to the TV to play them?

jayal
01-04-2015, 09:00 AM
sorry about that, I'm not too knowledgeable re tech stuff so figured be brief -- what I'd like to have is what's on the computer screen to be seen on tv e.g. golf live from the USA or movies - I've got an HDMI cable so could use a laptop as the intermediate link, trouble is I don't have a laptop hence the Q re smaller, cheaper option - hope that clarifies

CliveM
01-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Chrome cast is a simple way to achieve that. The TV must have an available HDMI port and its quite cheap and easy to do.

jayal
01-04-2015, 10:19 AM
thanks Clive - could you elaborate please? tv has the port but "Chrome cast?"

dugimodo
01-04-2015, 11:07 AM
https://www.google.co.nz/chrome/devices/chromecast/
review here http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/64736417/review-google-chromecast

jayal
01-04-2015, 11:30 AM
great Dugimodo, in a nutshell, thank you very much

atlantis43
01-04-2015, 12:00 PM
be aware, though, that Chromecast is only useful for those things that are Chromecast- compatible, which severely limits its usefulness. I previously tried that app, and was quite disappointed.