PDA

View Full Version : DDNS through ONT

Mike
31-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Hi all,

So fibre is up and running (YAY!) :) but now my DDNS no longer works as it's hitting the ONT (I'm guessing). Any way to get DDNS to work through the ONT or should I look for some kind of cron job to take over the process?

Cheers,
Mike.

Alex B
31-03-2015, 07:48 PM
The ONT won't be making any difference. The ONT is sort of invisible as far as your internet connection is concerned.

Mike
31-03-2015, 08:02 PM
The ONT won't be making any difference. The ONT is sort of invisible as far as your internet connection is concerned.That's what I thought, but my router says "The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address (192.168.x.x, 10,x,x,x, or 172.16.x.x). This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment." My actual IP is quite different, and the DDNS doesn't work :(

Cheers,
Mike.

Alex B
31-03-2015, 08:12 PM
What does the router show your external IP as?

CYaBro
31-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Who's the connection with?
Some ISPs don't give you a public IP address unless you ask for or pay for one.

Chilling_Silence
31-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Its plausible if you're with somebody like 2talk or MyRepublic you're on a NAT'd IP. In that case, DDNS is pointless until you pay extra as mentioned for a static public IP.

Mike
01-04-2015, 06:06 AM
Connection is with MyRepublic. They sell static IPs for $20 one-time, but I think I should be able to set a cron job that figures what the external IP is.

Thanks for your help :)

Cheers,
Mike.

wratterus
01-04-2015, 09:07 AM
You can find out your external IP easily enough, but I'm fairly sure you are still going to be unable to forward any ports etc. $20 one off for a static is very reasonable.

Alex B
01-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Connection is with MyRepublic. They sell static IPs for $20 one-time, but I think I should be able to set a cron job that figures what the external IP is.

Thanks for your help :)

Cheers,
Mike.

As Chill has pointed out, that won't work if you are on CG-NAT. You never have the same IP. Pay the $20, it's a good deal.

Chilling_Silence
01-04-2015, 01:58 PM
As Chill has pointed out, that won't work if you are on CG-NAT. You never have the same IP. Pay the $20, it's a good deal.

It's more than the IP being dynamic, it could be static but because it's still not going to be a "Public" IP it's not gonna matter.