PDA

View Full Version : Google Drive

Vince
31-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Google can b very obtuse sometimes!
I cannot find out how to create a sub folder in Google Drive.

I did a Google Search to find out and found sites that claimed they had the answer, but failed to deliver any information.

When I am in a folder, and click on new and folder I end up with a new folder that is outside the one in which it was created.
Can someone please tell me, in simple steps, how it is done?

user
31-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Go into the folder on Drive and above the contents, select 'My Drive > 'Folder name' and the down triangle icon. This gives you a menu including 'new folder' which creates the folder within the folder you are currently in.

Ofthesea
31-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Isn't there a Google Drive app that you download and after installing the Google Drive folder behaves like any other folder - wrt seeing a "New Folder" option

Vince
01-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Go into the folder on Drive and above the contents, select 'My Drive > 'Folder name' and the down triangle icon. This gives you a menu including 'new folder' which creates the folder within the folder you are currently in.

This method is the same in its result, which is, that when I try to move a file from the top folder to the sub folder I get the message-

"move out of shared folder?
Other users will no longer see this file in the shared folder "folder name"

Since sub folders have, by default, the same properties as their parent folder, the new folder must be outside the parent.
Isn't that right? Also the sub folder is visibly outside the parent.

user
01-04-2015, 09:39 AM
This method is the same in its result, which is, that when I try to move a file from the top folder to the sub folder I get the message-

"move out of shared folder?
Other users will no longer see this file in the shared folder "folder name"

Since sub folders have, by default, the same properties as their parent folder, the new folder must be outside the parent.
Isn't that right? Also the sub folder is visibly outside the parent.

What you mention above is not what you asked in the initial post. My answer gives you a subdirectory as required.

I do not understand what you are now wanting with the sharing requirement.

Vince
01-04-2015, 03:39 PM
What you mention above is not what you asked in the initial post. My answer gives you a subdirectory as required.

I do not understand what you are now wanting with the sharing requirement.

"Since sub folders have, by default, the same properties as their parent folder, the new folder must be outside the parent.
Isn't that right? Also the sub folder is visibly outside the parent."

It is what I asked for was a way to create a [sub folder] Which would have, by default, the same properties as the parent folder.
I typed the wrong word.

The first line above should end with, "the new folder must be (inside) the parent. Which it isn't.
If you cant understand, the parent folder is shared, therefore any sub folder should be as well; since it isn't, it cant be a sub folder.
See below.

Sub Folders
You are able to create a folder within a folder. Go to the folder in Google drive and click on the “New” button to create a new folder. This folder will be nested inside the first folder. Usually by default a folder is private; however, the sub folder will take on the same sharing characteristics as the parent folder.
http://www.alicekeeler.com/teachertech/2014/10/17/google-drive-do-not-share-everything-in-a-folder/

Vince
02-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Do you see what I mean? _the sub folder will take on the same sharing characteristics as the parent folder. Why doesn"t it, or , as I assumed why is it not really a sub folder?

Vince
07-04-2015, 04:31 PM
SORTED! I was working in G-drive on the web, where it doesn't work, when I should have been in the G-drive on my computer where it does.
I had thought they would be the same.
Why not?