PDA

View Full Version : MVI files have unwanted ads overlaid on them

Bob Kessler
28-03-2015, 12:17 PM
I have just found that all my movie clips (mvi files) have the following text overlaid on them: 'PICVideo' across the top and 'www.jpg.com' across the bottom.

I tried the link and was taken to www.Accusoft.com with no explanation - no promotional material or anything to explain its appearance.

I even tried contacting the site webmaster asking if anyone could help me get rid of the ads - never got a reply.

I have looked through all my Programs etc and can find nothing that is unknown or associated with PICVideo or Accusoft.

I know the problem is only in this computer because when I copy the file to my other computer the overlaid ads are not present.

Any ideas how to find and clear the problem will be appreciated.

PS: the problem started right after I downloaded 2 programs; Slim Drivers and Teamviewer some months ago.

wainuitech
28-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Wont be Teamviewer.

More than likely Slim Drivers came bundled with a few "Extras" or it got fake drivers from someplace that contain "extras" = Adware.

You should ALWAYS get updated drivers from the manufactures official site, not through some program that goes looking for outdated drivers, god knows what you can bring in ;)

linw
28-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Try ADWcleaner from bleepingcomputer http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Lawrence
28-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Try right click on pic/movie and see what is opening them,looks like something has piggybacked in there and taken over,just choose your default opening tool again

See if anything has been installed with out you knowing,uninstall if it has

Also try Junkware Removel Tool http://thisisudax.org/

Bob Kessler
30-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Thank you Wainuitech, linw and Lawrence for replies.

Per your suggestions I've run MalwareBytes, AdwCleaner and JRT. Each one found 'bad' items in various places including the Registry, but removing them has not resolved the problem.

With help from a tech-saavey friend I have since gone into the Registry and searched for PICVideo - and found a folder buried in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft/ActiveMovie\devenum\... named 'mjpg'. The 5 items in the folder include a REG_SZ entry named 'FriendlyName' and the Data says "PCVideo MJPEG Codec'

This sounds like it pertains to my problem - but I don't know what to do next! I'm deathely afraid of accessing the Registry, much less performing things like changing or deleting anything without expert advice. Any help will be appreciated...

wainuitech
30-03-2015, 06:03 PM
You are wise not to go playing about in the reg unless you know what you are doing, it can have disastrous effects. A Suggestion, First make a restore point, this way if things go pear shaped you can repair it ( you would need another Computer to get instructions).

Next Download The Emsisoft Emergency Kit https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/ its about 155MB. Run the .exe, it will unpack to a folder called EEK on the C drive by default.

Once finished go to the Folder, double click on "Start Emergency Kit Scanner" Once open the first option - Update it.
Once finished, option 2 - Scan, Select FULL scan - and away it goes, depending on the amount of data/programs etc on your computer it can easily take several hours to scan. (I set one going this morning at 10am, now 6pm its still at 89%, but finding lots.) This was AFTER running Malwarebytes, HitmanPro and several other Antimare programs.

See what it finds, you can generally delete anything it finds.

Lawrence
30-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Could always do something I would have a crack at but I stand to be corrected,Download the app (PICVideo M-JPEG Codec) http://www.accusoft.com/picvideomjpeg.htm

Then either uninstall through control panel though I would hit with Revo uninstall(the bottom option)

Do a restore point before as suggested,may work

Lawrence
30-03-2015, 07:00 PM
This is the same problem though nearly 10 years old http://www.designstudioschool.com/help-removing-codec-t71175.html

Bob Kessler
02-04-2015, 11:57 AM
PICVideo watermark update: Problem Resolved!!

I ran wainuitech's Emsisoft program and it cleared a bunch of Registry entries - I must now have the cleanest Registry anywhere!- but no joy fixing PICVideo problem.

Then went to the DesignStudio forum recommended by Lawrence and followed the advice by Dave T2 to use Device Manager to locate installed video codecs. I have about 10 of them, including PICVideo - so I tried to delete it. It would delete - but then immediately reappear... So close but so far!

So I tried Google again - but this time tried 'How to remove PICVideo codec'. I got a new set of possible sites, and went to one named 'eHow'. It provided a method to get rid of PICVideo fragments by searching for and deleting about 7 dll files. I only found one of them on my computer, but deleting it solved the problem!

Thanks to you all for your interest and help... Many hands make light work - or something like that!

Bob