PDA

View Full Version : Asus N55u Access point University Set Up HELP

kas
25-03-2015, 02:33 AM
i am currently at university and having trouble getting a stable connection with the wifi, it drops out every minute. The lan is stable and i was wondering if i could connect a router into it to create my own hot spot. I have a asus n55u router. The browser takes me to a log in page when i connect to the internet so does anyone know how to set it up so once iv created my hotspot i am taken to that page.

I have seen a thread by 'dugimodo' where 'inphinity' replied on how to set up but i think that is only for from another modem/router. Can anyone help me out and if you can call out to 'inphinity'

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
25-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Does the university know youre doing this?

kas
25-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Does the university know youre doing this?

no but i have to as i cannot do any of work as the internet is that bad and they have not done anything about it

Speedy Gonzales
25-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Dont think you can do anything since you dont own it.

kas
25-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Well i do pay for it, and im not trying to interfere with their network just want to set up my own with the network im entitled to.

kas
25-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Anyway, can anyone help me out here, i cant even watch a youtube video without it stopping and me having to reconnect every minute

Speedy Gonzales
25-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Update the wireless drivers, change the channel, for the wireless. Sometimes this helps

kas
25-03-2015, 12:02 PM
As the uni is in control of the settings for the router only they can change this, and i have updated my wireless drivers but no luck. As the LAN is stable i was looking to make my own hotspot using it so i can connect my xbox and laptop without all the wires. But im not sure on how to do this.

Speedy Gonzales
25-03-2015, 12:28 PM
You should be able to change the channel in the wireless settings on the PC as well

Driftwood
25-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Are other people having the same problem, or just you.

Alex B
25-03-2015, 02:01 PM
You should be able to change the channel in the wireless settings on the PC as well

The channel is dictated by the access point, not the end point device.

25-03-2015, 03:38 PM
buy your own wifi AP/router
Plug it into the lan connection on that Asus wifi router
Problem solved.......You wont be hacking into their network, just adding another AP.

.......except I bet it wont be problem solved at all. Chances are you'll still have the same wifi issues
Talk to IT at uni, they may have a better solution .

dugimodo
25-03-2015, 03:39 PM
The N55U does not support using a port in WAN mode by default (at least it didn't when I got mine) so can not be configured as an access point. However as per my old thread you mentioned it is possible to get beta firmware from asus (actually it's been ages since I looked there may be something newer) and flash it onto the router. It adds "Dual WAN" mode which basically means it can use DSL or a nominated ethernet port or both to supply internet access. The guide on geekzone inphinty linked back then is http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=66&topicid=126933 It's not exactly what you are asking but it's similar enough that you'd need many of the same steps.

All this might be wrong though, I haven't looked again since I got mine working. Also if the router is configured in such a way as to prevent it working then you are out of luck. You could ask the university if you are allowed to add your own access point, you never know.

Some answers here http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2167778 and this image http://i.imgur.com/tLOmCft.png suggests what you want is possible

sahilcc7
25-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Does it work when you connect your computer to the LAN port?

Alex B
25-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Don't connect it to the uni network with out turning off DHCP first.

kas
26-03-2015, 12:14 AM
Are other people having the same problem, or just you.

Other people are having the same problem. I have a friend in a nother dorm of another block who has exacly the same problem. However the IT department has not done anything about it or got back to us

kas
26-03-2015, 12:15 AM
buy your own wifi AP/router
Plug it into the lan connection on that Asus wifi router
Problem solved.......You wont be hacking into their network, just adding another AP.

.......except I bet it wont be problem solved at all. Chances are you'll still have the same wifi issues
Talk to IT at uni, they may have a better solution .

I have done except they have no solution to my problem.

kas
26-03-2015, 12:16 AM
The N55U does not support using a port in WAN mode by default (at least it didn't when I got mine) so can not be configured as an access point. However as per my old thread you mentioned it is possible to get beta firmware from asus (actually it's been ages since I looked there may be something newer) and flash it onto the router. It adds "Dual WAN" mode which basically means it can use DSL or a nominated ethernet port or both to supply internet access. The guide on geekzone inphinty linked back then is http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=66&topicid=126933 It's not exactly what you are asking but it's similar enough that you'd need many of the same steps.

All this might be wrong though, I haven't looked again since I got mine working. Also if the router is configured in such a way as to prevent it working then you are out of luck. You could ask the university if you are allowed to add your own access point, you never know.

Some answers here http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2167778 and this image http://i.imgur.com/tLOmCft.png suggests what you want is possible

Can you give me a step by step guide please on what is different in my case and what i may have to change?

kas
26-03-2015, 12:17 AM
Does it work when you connect your computer to the LAN port?

Yes it does work but my desk is really small and i dont want to have wires all over the place,also this way i can connect my xbox to the internet wireless aswell

dugimodo
26-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Can you give me a step by step guide please on what is different in my case and what i may have to change?

Nope sorry, I just followed someone else's guide I'm not an expert myself.

wainuitech
26-03-2015, 08:24 AM
It should be quite simple--- Couple of things you need to Know.

Plug in a Computer to the LAN port that's good and able to get on the internet to make sure its working, bring up a command prompt, type in ipconfig, <Press enter>, look for the IP address/ Gateway. Write down what it is.

Making sure the Network connection is set to Obtain automatically - Unplug the Lan cable from the Computer and plug the computer directly into one of the LAN ports on the back of the Router. Again do a ipconfig. log into the Router.(your internet WONT be working)

On the Left under Advanced, disable the DHCP server - Further down you need to change the IP Pool to the same range of IP addresses the Actual schools router is using. Page 34 Of the Manual. Which can be downloaded from http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLN55U_Annex_A/HelpDesk_Manual/

NOW is where it can come 'tricky" it depends if you are given Static IP addresses or if the range of IP addresses have been set. Most Routers can issue up to 254 Different IP Addresses, BUT some are restricted to a set range so without knowing you could be setting up and try to use a blocked IP.

Also explained http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point Click See Full Content on the left of that page.

Once the DHCP has been disabled on the ASUS, and the router set to the same IP range as the original router, the ASUS is plugged into any one of the 4 LAN ports, and all going well - instant Access Point, with your own wireless, but actually running through the Schools router.

Of course this may be completely against the IT departments liking and they would notice if there's another wireless suddenly appear, and its reasonably easy to track where its coming from with the right commands -- so you may get in the sh1t. ;)

Using the excuse the IT department hasn't fixed the original problem wont really cut it, although it may prompt them to do something when they discover others are going to use a work around.

26-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Its being complicated more than need be. :2cents:

Looks at the actual product page (could be wrong, didnt spend much time on it)
Its a modem router not just a simple access point (there is no WAN port), so it probably wont even be connected to the universities network. Could just be a bog standard internet connection.
Plug your laptop directly into the yellow lan ports. If you have can then get internet via network cable (without your wifi on) , then its so easy.... buy another wifi router & plug it straight in. As i said, chances are it wont solve your issues, at all

http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLN55U_Annex_A/specifications/
Ports
1 x RJ11 for ADSL
4 x RJ45 for 10/100/Gigabits BaseT for LAN
LED Indicator
Power, ADSL, Internet, WLAN, LAN x 4

The whole issue could just be a simple issue of wifi interference, wifi range & degradation through walls & the usual other wifi issues.
Or could just be bad/noisey adsl connection

How often does it drop off. Are you in the same room as the router, or how far away & how many walls/floors does the wifi go through to reach you
When it drops off, have a look at the ADSL & Internet lights on the router.
Is it just you having issues WITH THAT ROUTER (not issues in another building)
:thumbs:

kas
26-03-2015, 01:02 PM

Plug in a Computer to the LAN port that's good and able to get on the internet to make sure its working, bring up a command prompt, type in ipconfig, <Press enter>, look for the IP address/ Gateway. Write down what it is.

Making sure the Network connection is set to Obtain automatically - Unplug the Lan cable from the Computer and plug the computer directly into one of the LAN ports on the back of the Router. Again do a ipconfig. log into the Router.(your internet WONT be working)

On the Left under Advanced, disable the DHCP server - Further down you need to change the IP Pool to the same range of IP addresses the Actual schools router is using. Page 34 Of the Manual. Which can be downloaded from http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLN55U_Annex_A/HelpDesk_Manual/

NOW is where it can come 'tricky" it depends if you are given Static IP addresses or if the range of IP addresses have been set. Most Routers can issue up to 254 Different IP Addresses, BUT some are restricted to a set range so without knowing you could be setting up and try to use a blocked IP.

Also explained http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point Click See Full Content on the left of that page.

Once the DHCP has been disabled on the ASUS, and the router set to the same IP range as the original router, the ASUS is plugged into any one of the 4 LAN ports, and all going well - instant Access Point, with your own wireless, but actually running through the Schools router.

Of course this may be completely against the IT departments liking and they would notice if there's another wireless suddenly appear, and its reasonably easy to track where its coming from with the right commands -- so you may get in the sh1t. ;)

Using the excuse the IT department hasn't fixed the original problem wont really cut it, although it may prompt them to do something when they discover others are going to use a work around.

Thank you for such a great reply. I will try this asap, can you explain the static ip address part. Didn't understand that. Thanks

kas
26-03-2015, 01:07 PM
Its being complicated more than need be. :2cents:

Looks at the actual product page (could be wrong, didnt spend much time on it)
Its a modem router not just a simple access point (there is no WAN port), so it probably wont even be connected to the universities network. Could just be a bog standard internet connection.
Plug your laptop directly into the yellow lan ports. If you have can then get internet via network cable (without your wifi on) , then its so easy.... buy another wifi router & plug it straight in. As i said, chances are it wont solve your issues, at all

http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLN55U_Annex_A/specifications/
Ports
1 x RJ11 for ADSL
4 x RJ45 for 10/100/Gigabits BaseT for LAN
LED Indicator
Power, ADSL, Internet, WLAN, LAN x 4

The whole issue could just be a simple issue of wifi interference, wifi range & degradation through walls & the usual other wifi issues.
Or could just be bad/noisey adsl connection

How often does it drop off. Are you in the same room as the router, or how far away & how many walls/floors does the wifi go through to reach you
When it drops off, have a look at the ADSL & Internet lights on the router.
Is it just you having issues WITH THAT ROUTER (not issues in another building)
:thumbs:

A previous member did say that the router supports wan when updated to a beta firmware. The router is directly outside my door which is 3 meters and yet it still drops out and literally every minute that happens. It does not reconnect its self i have to reconnect by disconnecting from that network and reconnecting. Yes no other issues anywhere else just in this building and as a friend is living in a different block but with the same internet service,he is getting the same problem which leads me to believe it is there whole network not just that router itself.

kas
26-03-2015, 01:16 PM

Is there anyway i can find out what range of ip addresses the school is using?

26-03-2015, 02:22 PM
How is that router connected to the network ?
is the adsl port/plug used: if so its just a generic modem connection (probably)
perhaps that router is setup in some sort of repeater/mesh mode ?

If you think its the whole network that has issues, then there is really no fix you can do yourself anyway.

get together as many users as possible, and on mass, email IT support,university management & the student association with your concerns
If you are paying for wifi/internet, make it known to IT that it is not fit for purpose , and demand a refund of all the money you have paid .

dugimodo
26-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Just had a bit of a look at the old thread and the Asus support page. My info is almost 2 years out of date. My how time files I had no Idea I'd had the router that long (makes it the longest running stable router I've ever owned). Anyway it seems WAN functionality has been in the official firmware for some time and access point mode was added at some point as well. I can't help you with configuring it but if it has recent firmware it should definitely be capable of being an access point.

If you need firmware you can find it here http://www.asus.com/au/Networking/DSLN55U_Annex_A/HelpDesk_Download/ Flash at your own risk.

Alex B
26-03-2015, 03:12 PM
My take on this is he has an ethernet port in his room, there is no need for a WAN port. I also would doubt they are using ADSL/VDSL. It will be a standard Ethernet connection back to a switch.

dugimodo
26-03-2015, 04:28 PM
In order to plug a router into the ethernet port and use it as a switch or access point the router being connected needs to have WAN functionality. It's a fairly common thing to see a wan port on a router for just this reason and any router without a DSL modem has to have one but for combination modem/router devices it's less common.

There's no need for any of this, the OP can just use an ethernet cable. That doesn't mean it not worth trying for more convenient internet access though and his N55U does appear to be capable of it if the existing network setup will allow it.

Sounds like the supplied Wi-Fi just needs fixing really though.

sahilcc7
26-03-2015, 10:45 PM
At my University hall, we have an ethernet jack in the wall. The computer works plugged directly into it once you login to ResNet. Now what the issue with plugging the router in *after* already connecting the computer, is that you are only allowed one MAC address - which is why I got an error when plugging the router in. So the work around is to clone the router mac address with the PC and plug it in and works perfectly. Ethernet in wall -> WAN port in router, >wired back to computer using LAN port.

kas
27-03-2015, 12:31 AM
How is that router connected to the network ?
is the adsl port/plug used: if so its just a generic modem connection (probably)
perhaps that router is setup in some sort of repeater/mesh mode ?

If you think its the whole network that has issues, then there is really no fix you can do yourself anyway.

get together as many users as possible, and on mass, email IT support,university management & the student association with your concerns
If you are paying for wifi/internet, make it known to IT that it is not fit for purpose , and demand a refund of all the money you have paid .

The router is probably connected to a switch and its in the middle of the hall. There is one in every block so quite a few. Just has one ethernet wire going into it

kas
27-03-2015, 12:33 AM
My take on this is he has an ethernet port in his room, there is no need for a WAN port. I also would doubt they are using ADSL/VDSL. It will be a standard Ethernet connection back to a switch.

Yes i agree i think thats what the set up is, i could use the Ethernet port in my room but it is a inconvience as i cant move my laptop around, im short of space and it makes it all messy with wires and lastly because i cant connect with Ethernet to xbox as i am required to sign in. Thats why i wanted my own little hotspot.

kas
27-03-2015, 12:36 AM
At my University hall, we have an ethernet jack in the wall. The computer works plugged directly into it once you login to ResNet. Now what the issue with plugging the router in *after* already connecting the computer, is that you are only allowed one MAC address - which is why I got an error when plugging the router in. So the work around is to clone the router mac address with the PC and plug it in and works perfectly. Ethernet in wall -> WAN port in router, >wired back to computer using LAN port.

Yes thats how its set up in my uni, so what will i be required to do? find the mac address and copy that to my router? from then on can i just use it wirelessly without wiring to the router?

Alex B
27-03-2015, 10:39 AM
In order to plug a router into the ethernet port and use it as a switch or access point the router being connected needs to have WAN functionality. It's a fairly common thing to see a wan port on a router for just this reason and any router without a DSL modem has to have one but for combination modem/router devices it's less common.

There's no need for any of this, the OP can just use an ethernet cable. That doesn't mean it not worth trying for more convenient internet access though and his N55U does appear to be capable of it if the existing network setup will allow it.

Sounds like the supplied Wi-Fi just needs fixing really though.

No it doesn't. He isn't connecting to a WAN, he's connecting to a LAN, his Asus box needs to do no Layer 3 work, it's all Layer 2. In reality all he is doing is connecting one switch to another.

The WAN port is there to, well, connect to a WAN. In NZ that could be a DSL/Cable Modem or a UFB ONT.

dugimodo
27-03-2015, 11:27 AM
You're getting too caught up on unimportant terminology Alex, we're getting sidetracked arguing semantics and not helping the problem. The WAN port IS what connects upstream from a router towards the internet = WAN, towards the local network = LAN. You can't just connect a LAN ethernet port from a DSL Modem/Router to another Modem or switch to get internet connectivity FROM unless that port can be configured as a WAN port. Technically the upstream port on a switch also becomes a WAN port even if it's functionally the same as all the rest.

For example with the N55U in question, it has a VDSL port for internet and dual band wireless and 4 GigE ethernet ports for the local LAN. Normally the VDSL port faces the WAN and the rest are all LAN ports. In order to use it as an access point or in my case as a router fed from a separate modem in bridge mode you have to reconfigure one of the LAN ports to become a WAN port and let another device be the modem. Asus call this Dual WAN functionality in the firmware as it also gives you the ability to set a failover network connection.

The layer stuff is something I always forget the meaning of but WAN/LAN is easy, one is towards the outside world and one is towards the local network. I come from a telcommunications background and we always used different terminology for what is referred to as "layers" in the IT world.

Alex B
27-03-2015, 11:59 AM
OK, you need to stop thinking of this as a little home user network, because it isn't. Forget modems, there are none involved. Forget routers or routing, that is the job of the university network.

All he needs is for the N55u to act as a dumb switch and an wireless access point. Once again, all he is doing is connecting the university's switch to his own switch which is perfectly fine from a technical stand point.

The uni network will be something like Fiber to Uni Firewall > Uni Router > Uni Core Switching > Uni Proxy > Uni End Point switch > Kas's Asus Switch. With all sorts of fun bits in between. The routing aspect has been taken care of long before it gets to the little ASUS box.

dugimodo
27-03-2015, 12:16 PM
And yet still unless you configure 1 of the 4 ports to be a WAN port it will not accept any IP addresses issued by the network or work as a switch or access point. The N55U is not a simple switch or access point and is not set to work that way by default.

Alex B
27-03-2015, 12:18 PM
All you need to do is turn off DHCP like I said on page 1 or 2 and it will act as a dumb switch/AP.

dugimodo
27-03-2015, 12:25 PM
I surrender, you may be right but that's not the case on the one I have with the firmware that's on it. If you simply turn off DHCP and connect it like you say nothing works.

wainuitech
27-03-2015, 01:00 PM
I surrender, you may be right but that's not the case on the one I have with the firmware that's on it. If you simply turn off DHCP and connect it like you say nothing works. One thing to remember, scroll back and look at what was written post#27 :D Two years,-- Can change a lot of things.

Most modem/routers can be turned into Switches or access points these days.

27-03-2015, 01:27 PM
And yet still unless you configure 1 of the 4 ports to be a WAN port it will not accept any IP addresses issued by the network or work as a switch or access point. The N55U is not a simple switch or access point and is not set to work that way by default.

you can easily daisy chain routers,DHCP on lan not needed, wan ports are not needed (set to LAN to static IP to match the rest of the network) Can be done LAN port to LAN port (or Lan to WAN port) . Can leave NAT translation on the 2nd router, it still works

If he can plug in a laptop & get internet acess, he can then also Daisey chain wifi routers or Wifi access points. Is some minor config required on
the 2nd/new wifi router(AP) but its do-able
DHCP passthrough is not necessary for internet connections when daisey chaining routers
Turn off DHCP and a routers LAN ports act like a simple switch (sort of, need static IP set)

Maybee that N55u had the currently used LAN port reassigned to WAN .Unlikely
The N55u seems just another dsl home modem router , perhaps it has additional functionals? Are we all even looking at the same product ?
http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLN55U_Annex_A/overview/
http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLN55U_Annex_B/

all assuming there is no MAC filtering setup by IT, but that seems unlikely otherwise no other/new laptops could get access.......

Alex B
27-03-2015, 01:39 PM
I have a feeling you can do some stuff with spanning tree to not let a new switch on the network, but don't know a lot about it.

sahilcc7
27-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Yes thats how its set up in my uni, so what will i be required to do? find the mac address and copy that to my router? from then on can i just use it wirelessly without wiring to the router?

First of all, just reset the router and plug the WAN into the ethernet in the wall. Then see if the internet works through the router. Otherwise if you get an error, find the MAC address of your computer, then copy it onto the router and it should work.

kas
28-03-2015, 12:39 AM
First of all, just reset the router and plug the WAN into the ethernet in the wall. Then see if the internet works through the router. Otherwise if you get an error, find the MAC address of your computer, then copy it onto the router and it should work.

Ok thanks i will do that, and guys i will try all of your suggestions to see what works and report back to you,Thanks alot everyone

kas
28-03-2015, 12:42 AM

also before following these steps im required to update to the newest firmware to get wan functionality in my router right?

sahilcc7
28-03-2015, 02:09 AM
also before following these steps im required to update to the newest firmware to get wan functionality in my router right?

Nah, any firmware should be fine really..

kas
29-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Ok thanks i will do that, and guys i will try all of your suggestions to see what works and report back to you,Thanks alot everyone

so i did what you said. it didnt work first time without the mac clone but with the mac clone to my router it all works. Thank you soo much. now i need to connect it to my xbox however the xbox is saying ip address error. Anyone know how to fix this?

wainuitech
29-03-2015, 04:46 PM
You may need to go through the xbox setup again with the new settings.

kas
30-03-2015, 03:52 AM
You may need to go through the xbox setup again with the new settings.

Hi sorry what settings do you mean.

kas
30-03-2015, 03:53 AM
So i have sucessully set up the router and the internet is working fine. I was wondering if there was any other settings i was required to disable or enable??

Alex B
30-03-2015, 09:48 AM

Why add another layer of NAT when you don't need to.