PDA

View Full Version : Program for batch re-naming of files?

22-12-2001, 08:47 AM
I have a digital camera that gives every picture I take a sequential number. Fine!
I end up with hundreds of jpeg files with meaningless numbers. To bring order into this jumble I separate pictures into separate folders according to subject matter, e.g. holiday shots, grandchildren, gardening etc.etc.
This leaves me with folders full of non-sequential and still meaningless file names.

Is there a SW program that can convert a batch of file names and rename them into some ordered sequence with names of my choice?

22-12-2001, 08:57 AM
Hello Peter,
Dont know of a program But you can right click the folders, photos etc, and rename them whatever you like.
Cheers,
Bob

22-12-2001, 09:19 AM
Hi Bob,
Thanks for that. I know that's how you can do it but manually is very tedious and time consuming.
I'm looking for something more streamlined.
Cheers
Peter Badart

22-12-2001, 01:27 PM
http://tucows.inspire.net.nz/

Go to the above link and type in rename for the search, 2 shareware and 1 freeware renamers though you could try other search combo's. See if that helps you out.

22-12-2001, 02:48 PM
If you want 'meaningful' names, there is no real alternitive to tedium.

If after moving these files called say 'imageXXX.jpg' into separate directories and you want to name them 'peoplexxx.jpg' and 'dogsXXX.jpg' in the 'people\' and 'dogs\' directories you could in DOS do, for example 'rename image*.jpg people*.jpg'. This will keep the sequence numbers as is, but gives you something meaningful if you use the files in other contexts. You might be able to use the DOS 'FOR' command to give them contiguous numbers, but it gets very messy.

22-12-2001, 03:55 PM
I use a program called multiple rename. Came from PC Magazine, I think (I know, I am a heretic).

It's awesome for renaming pictures from the digcam. Also good for mass renaming of MP3 files.

You can insert characters, replace characters, you name it. When you right click a set of files in Explorer, you choose it.

It rocks.

Robo.

23-12-2001, 08:44 PM
Hi robo,
That sounds cool, probably just what I'm after.
Could you give me a lead how to get hold of the program? or exactly what it is called (file name) so I can do a search for it? Web site perhaps?
Alternatively could you email me a copy if it's not too much hassle. Thanks
pbadart@paradise.net.nz

28-12-2001, 08:49 AM
Hello Gordon,
I apologise for the delay in my response.
Christmas has taken up all my time.
Thanks a lot for your tip. This was most usefull.
I took my time searching Tucows and found several pages of good leads.
I have now downloaded one program called 'Magic File renamer 4.4' which has a '5 cow' rating and only 630Kb in size.
I haven't had time to put it to the test yet, but it looks quite impressive. I intend to try out several others as well and may post some comments later.
Thanks again.
Peter