PDA

View Full Version : Home networks and tethering on 3g

spooky
23-03-2015, 09:05 PM
I have a home network of sorts. If I was to purchase a smart phone could I use that to tether a broadband modem so that the whole network was on the net at the same time. I am sort of a novice when it comes to home networks. TIA Spooky

Speedy Gonzales
23-03-2015, 09:31 PM
You'll be using a lot of data for that. You may as well get a wireless modem/router band connect everything to it

Kame
23-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Yes and hopefully without too much hassles. If you don't have WiFi or even Bluetooth, then you would connect it via USB to a computer, then set up internet connection sharing and share it across the net.

The computer that its connected to needs to be on for the others to share it though.

Cheers,

KK

Chilling_Silence
24-03-2015, 02:25 AM
You can do it, very very easily, but you need a dedicated 3G USB Modem into a specific type of router, such as this: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NETTPL3020

Nice and simple, and not too expensive either :)

Can't use your Cellphone to tether to a device and then to a computer network unless you do a *lot* of fluffing around. Instead of a smartphone, grab the TP-Link device above and go into your favorite mobile Telco store and tell them you're after a USB Modem for it and they'll sort you out.

paulw
24-03-2015, 08:37 AM
looks interesting device chill. Do you know if there are any 4G versions around??

Chilling_Silence
24-03-2015, 06:17 PM
If the USB dongle supports 4G, then yeah, sure. All it's doing is taking the connection from USB and passing it over to the ethernet connection :)

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2015, 06:29 PM
The ASUS N12U B1 modem/router that I've got here supports 3G dongles, and then you can use it as a 3G wireless router

spooky
24-03-2015, 06:53 PM
There's a lot of information here. It looks like I am going to have to do a lot of reading to get up to speed with networks and broadband. All I really want to do at the moment is connect one pc to the net using broadband (which will mean 3g wirelessly) and everything else (as needed) will connected to that pc. Am I making any sense? This will only be for the time I am out here. Once I move to town permanently I will be able to connect to the broadband fibre network. TIA Spooky

Kame
24-03-2015, 07:20 PM
There are a few 3g modem phones, but it is possible to share a tethered phones data and use internet connection sharing.

I'm not certain how windows does this but some modem phones required drivers to use it but I have done it on Linux and Mac OS just through the USB conection, if you can't tether and share it then get a usb WiFi adaptor, they reasonably cheap and set your phone up as an access point and then you can setup internet sharing through that connection instead.

Cheers,

KK

spooky
24-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Obviously there are many alternatives and solutions to this question. The first thing i will do is connect one pc (xp home) to the net using either a tether or a usb vodafone t-stick. Which in your opinion is the better option. By better I probably mean both (faster and cheaper).

TIA Spooky