PDA

View Full Version : Win8.1 home network

bk T
22-03-2015, 09:49 AM
My home network has 3 desktop PCs and a laptop - 2 desktops running Win7 and the other Win8.1 Pro ; the laptop is using Win8.1

We have no problem in file sharing and printing from the 3 desktops, but the laptop (Win8.1) always ask for User name and password (Enter network credentials) when trying to access other PCs. Of course, I can just enter the username and password but it's annoying having to do it every time. When I check the 'Remember my credentials', it doesn't remember my credentials. LOL

How do I go about to overcome this annoyance?

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Turn password protected sharing, off on all of them

dugimodo
22-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Or use the same user name and password on all of them so you are automatically the same user.

bk T
22-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Turn password protected sharing, off on all of them

Password is turned OFF on all machines.

bk T
22-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Or use the same user name and password on all of them so you are automatically the same user.

This maybe the workaround method; but why is that other machines work just fine but not this laptop?

I've checked the network settings which are the same on all machines.

wainuitech
22-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Theres only a couple of things that will do that.

Make sure you use standard Networking NOT Homegroup.
Make sure the computers are all on the same Workgroup.
Make sure password Protected sharing is disabled.

You may also find that the network settings may have been set to Public instead of Private.
network-location-set-private-public-windows-8-a.html (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9837-network-location-set-private-public-windows-8-a.html)

One that gets many people is folders not being shared fully.

On the folder you want shared, many people only half share it.
Heres an example, just right clicked a folder/properties/Share / From the drop down Box -Everyone / Read/Write

shared a Folder and when you go into the advanced Button/options -- as you can see its not fully shared:

Click in the Box Share, then in permissions, select all the boxes as highlighted. ( Edited) they should ALL be ticked, the pic shows them as unticked.

MANY people dont now that sharing in W7 onwards is actually similar requirements as server sharing, if you only do half the job then you are going to have problems.

bk T
22-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Thanks, wainuitech for sharing.

My share settings are all correct as we have no issues with the 3 desktop machines.

This laptop is our new entry to our home network which is causing some 'annoyance'. After keying in the username and password, it works OK.

But why it requires username and password whereas all the desktop machines don't? And, when I tick 'Remember my credentials', it doesn't. It only remembers the credentials for that session, if I shut down and restart the Laptop, it forgets the credentials. It seems to have a short memory!

wainuitech
22-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Just a thought / Theory -- On the Laptop, are you using the Local Account or an email account to sign in when it first starts. ?

Personally I always use the local account and only sign into MS when needing something from the store.

wainuitech
22-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Bloody timer ran out :( If you use a email account to sign in, try changing it to a local, heres how, with pictures: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-change-microsoft-live-to-a-local-account-in-windows-81/

Edited: if you dont want a password ( figure D) you can leave it blank, that way the laptop will boot straight to windows when started, no PW required.

bk T
22-03-2015, 12:14 PM
I always use Local Accounts.

wainuitech
22-03-2015, 01:34 PM
What happens if the other PC's try to access a shared folder on the laptop ?

If it works OK when manually entering the username / Password, it looks like W8.1 on the Laptop is not holding.

Try this -- Bit of a pain,but its a possible temp fix. http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-seamless-home-network-access-142716

Use Method 2: Network shares -- and where it says type "vault" DONT, type in Manage Windows Credentials instead and it will show easier , Vault appears but its not so obvious.

bk T
22-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Your suggested method 2 works, it now remembers the credentials. :)

But, when I tried to access this laptop from other PCs, it asks the same thing, wants username and password! Should I repeat method 2 for other PCs?

Funny that this laptop can access other Win7 Desktop PCs without having to key in the username and password!

wainuitech
22-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Wellllllllllllll in the sharing in folders, if "Everyone" is entered, and all the permissions are set as pictures above in previous posts, then you really shouldn't have to. BUT if by adding the method 2 works, then there's something going :waughh: when rebooting.

Tell ya what, lets swap Problems :p

I've spent errrrrr a few hours trying to get this damn Hyper-V server working over my LAN from server 2012R2 Similar thing "you dont have permission :mad: ( yes I do, I set it, as well as changing the firewalls, hosts file)

Running Hyper-V directly from a W8.1 PC is a piece of cake -Hmmmm cake :drool

Getting it to work over the LAN -- Different matter, so many settings to enable & change on a fresh install of the Server. Got the Hyper-V working fine on the server --More cake :D

I set the Folder Sharing access as per Method 2 on this PC, and that logs me in right away now, where as before I had to enter the Username/Password.

gary67
22-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Does that windows vault work on win7 I have that login issue with my amahi server

wainuitech
22-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Does that windows vault work on win7 I have that login issue with my amahi server Should do, its the same program by the looks. Just tried in W7, clicked start, typed in Vault and Manage Windows Credentials showed and it looks the same as W8.1 option.

gary67
22-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks. No computers switched on here tonight will look at the solution tomorrow.

gary67
23-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Didn't work for me my server was already listed in vault so I deleted it and re added it still doesn't remember my credentials, no biggie just reporting back.

linw
23-03-2015, 11:18 AM
What's with this Vault thing?? What's wrong with ctrl-Panel\Credential Manager?

I think we are all going to have to get used to setting up our Windows Credentials with 8.1 onwards. Even going from win 10 9926 to 10041 I ran into a problem sharing my 8.1 notebook. Here is my post and the solution https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/4857-build-10041-cant-access-win-8-1-shares.html

Note that now the user had to have the machine name in front e.g. machinename\username. Not needed for pre 8.1 OS's but a good idea to add into Credential Manager now, anyway, I feel.

Never used the Credential Manager before but it is my friend now!!

wainuitech
23-03-2015, 11:27 AM
What's with this Vault thing?? What's wrong with ctrl-Panel\Credential Manager?
Its the exact same thing. If you open Credential Manager you will see its called Windows Vault

23-03-2015, 01:12 PM
as a last resort...
try net use

put this into a batchfile & have it run on startup, via scheduled tasks . This will map the share as M:\
net use m: "\\pcName\sharedfolder" /user:username password /persistent:yes

I have seen issues with Vista/Win7/Win8 where mapped drives &/or network passwords were 'forgotten' by the PC on every reboot.