PDA

View Full Version : Linux Revisited

Poppa John
19-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Hi All.
I thought I should start another thread as the last one was getting very long. I can always refer back to it.

So... I managed to Download YUMI & then Linux mint onto an 8GB pen drive. Assuming I did it correctly, how do I get it to run?

I would like to try it on an old XP comp. It may not like the 64bit I d/l. I reformatted this C drive on this so it has no OS on it.

If I have to I will try it on this laptop which IS 64bit. PJ

dugimodo
19-03-2015, 02:52 PM
You are better of with the 32 bit version on older hardware for compatibility reasons. To boot off the flash drive plug it in then go into the BIOS and see if you can find it to set it first in the boot order, if not see if there is a "boot from other devices" or similar option and enable that. Some old hardware will not boot from USB at all however.

The oldest machines I personally have got to work are sempron based machines that are new enough to have a sata port as well as IDE, on my pentium 4 I used to have I had to burn a disk and use that because it wouldn't start from a flash drive. All I have left of pentium 4 hardware now is about 3 spare CPU's though :)

Poppa John
19-03-2015, 03:01 PM
You are better of with the 32 bit version on older hardware for compatibility reasons. To boot off the flash drive plug it in then go into the BIOS and see if you can find it to set it first in the boot order, if not see if there is a "boot from other devices" or similar option and enable that. Some old hardware will not boot from USB at all however.

The oldest machines I personally have got to work are sempron based machines that are new enough to have a sata port as well as IDE, on my pentium 4 I used to have I had to burn a disk and use that because it wouldn't start from a flash drive. All I have left of pentium 4 hardware now is about 3 spare CPU's though :)

D...I hear you. In the flash drive properties it says that it is "Multiboot" & FAT32. How do I find 'boot from other devices? PJ

Poppa John
19-03-2015, 03:04 PM
The other one I would like to try is the Lucid Puppy one. PJ

wainuitech
19-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Oh Crap !! I knew there was something I was meant to do,:blush: Sorry PJ your PM slipped my mind.

Anyway-- As Dug posted, as long as the image (ISO) has burnt OK to the USB drive, AND the XP computer can see the flash drive then all you should have to do is select the USB drive as the boot device and Linux will do the rest.

Poppa John
19-03-2015, 05:23 PM
W... No probs re the PM, it may come to that yet.

I have plugged the USB I to this laptop & the icon appears. Can open it & it shows 3 items. How do I select USB as a boot device. PJ

dugimodo
19-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Shut the PC down, plug the USB drive in, turn it on and press del when it first starts loading to get to the BIOS, in the BIOS screens usually under advanced there should be settings for boot order or 1st boot device, 2nd boot device etc. It's different on different BIOSes so you'll need to have a play around to find it. If you can't find any reference to a USB device it may not have the option but sometimes they will boot anyway if there is no other boot device present.

wainuitech
19-03-2015, 05:29 PM
You turn Off the laptop. Then restart it as per normal, usually across the bottom of the screen, before windows boots there will be an option to enter the BIOS by pressing a certain Key. OR there will be a option to press a key to bring up the Boot Menu, ( some its F12, others it may be the Esc key) different laptops have different options.

You have to be quick as it only shows for a second or two. IF it has the boot menu option, restart the laptop and press the key and it will bring up a boot menu, using the arrow keys move to the USB Drive, press enter and it should boot from the drive.

IF you cant see the boot menu, then you need to enter the BIOS, make sure the USB drive is shown as a Drive, and change the boot order so the USB drive is 1st, save, reboot.

Just because the USB drive works in Windows doesn't mean its capable of booting in the BIOS.

Kame
23-03-2015, 12:30 PM
How'd this go poppa?

If you can give hints to what brand and model or specs the computer is, then I could check which Linux Mint version you should be running, the latest version does not necessarily work with older computers and you may need to try version 13, it also sounds like you should be using 32bit.

Also, check out the documentation for putting mint on USB, I believe they don't miss any steps out, including what free programs you can use to create it but the important thing is picking the right architecture either 32bit or 64bit, I also suggest using mate for older hardware, as cinnamon a bit more dazzle suited for better graphic cards.

If you do have problems, I can send you a USB stick ready to boot and just needs a BIOS capable of booting from it, if your BIOS doesn't have that capability then you may need an update or an open firmware BIOS (risky).

Cheers,

KK

Poppa John
23-03-2015, 04:28 PM
How'd this go poppa?

If you can give hints to what brand and model or specs the computer is, then I could check which Linux Mint version you should be running, the latest version does not necessarily work with older computers and you may need to try version 13, it also sounds like you should be using 32bit.

Also, check out the documentation for putting mint on USB, I believe they don't miss any steps out, including what free programs you can use to create it but the important thing is picking the right architecture either 32bit or 64bit, I also suggest using mate for older hardware, as cinnamon a bit more dazzle suited for better graphic cards.

If you do have problems, I can send you a USB stick ready to boot and just needs a BIOS capable of booting from it, if your BIOS doesn't have that capability then you may need an update or an open firmware BIOS (risky).

Cheers,

KK

I have had no luck so far. I have followed all the steps per W & D but it wont run. This laptop bios says it will boot from bios. The old XP comp Wont run from bios & I don't know how to add it. I have two flash drives, one with Linux Puppy & one with Mint. Clearly I am not doing it right. PJ

nmercer
23-03-2015, 04:31 PM
That era of machine should be able to boot from USB key

You just need to tell the BIOS to try USB flash drive, or select an alternative startup media right when you turn your PC on.

Poppa John
23-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Please note that the problems I am having are of my own doing. Nobody elses. PJ

Driftwood
23-03-2015, 05:35 PM
That statement would pretty much cover all of us.

Kame
23-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Hi Poppa,

I will give you steps that I would go through, but please note that I've not really used windows since xp, so hopefully my instructions for windows will work.

So first I suggest downloading Linux Mint Maya 32bit version 13, which is still supported till 2017, grab it from http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=103

I then suggest getting Rufus from https://rufus.akeo.ie

So once you have the ISO and also Rufus, insert your flash drive, run Rufus and find the ISO with it, set the location as the flash drive, write it then test it out by booting from it. Newer systems may not boot from it unless you put your booting in the BIOS for legacy mode and ensure USB booting comes before everything else in the boot order.

Try that out poppa, if you have difficulties along the way, just say whats wrong and I will try and help you out. If I had windows myself, I would of tested the whole process and given a better guide.

Cheers,

KK

Poppa John
26-03-2015, 01:09 PM
I found (stumbled) my way into system restore & bios. Not resolved yet but I have created another problem, see new thread. PJ