PDA

View Full Version : Automatic loggon to internet site..

22-12-2001, 12:03 AM
Wonder if someone out there has had the same problem as me.. if so.. please help.!!
My computer keeps logging to internet sites automatically. It does not matter if I'm on the net or off the net, it keeps trying to go to certain sites. When I'm off the net..a blank page comes up.. how do I prevent it from logging to sites without me promting it to do so.?

Dean

22-12-2001, 06:45 AM
cut/paste this link into your browser:
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/1,10150,0-10001-103-0-1-7,00.html?tag=srch&qt=spyware&cn=&ca=10001

(sorry, it's a long one) - download the file at the top of the list - it's called 'adaware' and it'll rid your system of 'spyware'.
Also, make sure you empty your temporary internet files and cookies (Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Temporary Internet Files) and you should see an improvement.

22-12-2001, 08:34 AM
Clean out all your temp internet files for a start, also open IE>Tools>Internet Options>Connections and place a tick in>Never Dial a Connection. That will not stop you accessing those sites if on line but could prevent access to the net if working off line. Or you could look in the system box, clt.alt.del once and see what programs are running, investigate all the entries and work back to it's source in your system to delete it, be very careful what you start uninstalling or deleting if you use this option so you don't take out something harmless. Consider getting a firewall such as the freebie ZoneAlarm and see which programs are trying to access the net. You should be able to block it that way. Probably would not hurt to run a virus check either.

22-12-2001, 10:12 AM
This is fairly common. It can be disconcerting to leave your computer for a little while only to find that in your absence some piece of SW has connected to the internet and done 'who knows what'?
I recommend installing the ZoneAlarm firewall. It is superb and trouble free.
(See also previous correspondent)
This will intercept any such activity, even when you're not at the computer, name the program thats trying to connect and gives you the option to decide for yourself to allow or deny access.
You'll soon find out what software is doing it and the choice is back in your hands.
To get Zonealarm (free for private use) connect to www.Zonelabs.com
The download is about 2.9Mb. I'm sure it is also on some of the PCWorld CDRoms.
P.S. I'm not paid for this!

22-12-2001, 10:14 AM
This is fairly common. It can be disconcerting to leave your computer for a little while only to find that in your absence some piece of SW has connected to the internet and done 'who knows what'?
I recommend installing the ZoneAlarm firewall. It is superb and trouble free.
(See also previous correspondent)
This will intercept any such activity, even when you're not at the computer, name the program thats trying to connect and gives you the option to decide for yourself to allow or deny access.
You'll soon find out what software is doing it and the choice is back in your hands.
To get Zonealarm (free for private use) connect to www.Zonelabs.com
The download is about 2.9Mb. I'm sure it is also on some of the PCWorld CDRoms.
P.S. I'm not paid for this!