PDA

View Full Version : Which option - larger HDD or more RAM to existing setup or move to quad core ?

Misty
18-03-2015, 03:13 PM
I use Photoshop Elements 11 for post processing. Recently I have been finding that some things are running too slow for me. For instance - opening up a RAW image in ACR and then slow from ACR into Elements itself.

It has been suggested to me elsewhere that I need a bigger hard drive. Currently I have a 465 GB hard drive with my data on it with 152 GB free. Apparently hard drives slow down considerably once they are over 50% full.

My Processor is
2.93 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

and i wondered whether a quad core with 8GB RAM (rather than 4) would be better ? Essentially would a faster processor or a bigger hard drive be a better bet ? ..... or could I get away with adding RAM to my existing setup ?
Jim

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Is Elements 64 bit tho?? As well as windows?? Because it may not make a diff if it's 32 bit

Misty
18-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Hi Speedy - It is 64bit running Windows 7
Jim

Kame
18-03-2015, 07:52 PM
I don't see where you mention your RAM, but more RAM the better, eliminate the paging because the bottleneck usually comes from the hard drive so unless you go solid state, the bigger it is the the little difference it makes as its access time that slows it.

The quad core with a lot of RAM, would make a dramatic difference and hopefully reduce the processing time.

Multi threading would benefit you too, but only marginally, as its usually the hard drive slowness that makes it useful, otherwise it only slightly improves performance, but only when multiple things need to happen.

Defragging the hard drive, reducing unneeded files, ensuring only minimal services and programs running would offer little optimisation and may not make much difference.

Cheers,

KK