PDA

View Full Version : iPad recommendation

Bryden
17-03-2015, 01:45 PM
I have a Panasonic Smart TV through which I can watch Lightbox etc. using HDMI cable and my laptop.... my Galaxy tablet browser wont run Lightbox - not one of the models listed.... so I am considering buying an iPad mainly for the purpose of being able to watch the odd show when I am in bed, or curled up in a chair.... I don't travel to out of the way places so cannot see me needing that type of facility.... I see "cellular" mentioned in the ads but don't know what this does? Any suggestions which model I should look for please? TIA

dugimodo
17-03-2015, 02:01 PM
A cheap laptop might be better, I know nothing about iPads though.

Bryden
17-03-2015, 02:14 PM
I just think the convenience of a tablet would suit better than a laptop with keyboard, less bulky.....

psycik
17-03-2015, 02:48 PM
ipad would only work if you also had an apple tv to wirelessly send the lightbox stream to the tv. I'm not sure if with the newer ipads that use the lightning connection (the short reversible one) if the lightning to HDMI cable exists or works (or you're allowed to use it - it's a permission the app builder can set).

As others have said, a laptop would be a better and more versatile solution.

wainuitech
17-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Before you go wasting money on a iPad, it would be better to find out why the Samsung Galaxy you already have is having problems. Install a different browser on it that is compatible.

According to lightbox's site it should work:

Webdevguy
17-03-2015, 03:25 PM
I have a Panasonic Smart TV through which I can watch Lightbox etc. using HDMI cable and my laptop.... my Galaxy tablet browser wont run Lightbox - not one of the models listed.... so I am considering buying an iPad mainly for the purpose of being able to watch the odd show when I am in bed, or curled up in a chair.... I don't travel to out of the way places so cannot see me needing that type of facility.... I see "cellular" mentioned in the ads but don't know what this does? Any suggestions which model I should look for please? TIA

You have iPad Air or iPad Air 2 to choose from so that part is pretty easy. If you are only going to be using it at home then you don't need to both with a SIM card. If you do want o use a SIM card then get a pre pay one.

https://www.apple.com/nz/ipad/compare/

If you would prefer a bigger screen size then get a laptop.

Lightbox for iPad here https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/lightbox-nz/id893849629?mt=8

dugimodo
17-03-2015, 03:48 PM
You use the light box app Wanui not a browser on a tablet. You can only find it in the app store if you have a supported device. I've managed to find the apk file and install it on my nexus 7 but I need to deregister one of my other devices before I can test it. I googled light box apk and found it easy enough but if anyone wants me to send it to them just PM me the details of where to send it.

wainuitech
17-03-2015, 04:10 PM
You use the light box app Wanui not a browser on a tablet. You can only find it in the app store if you have a supported device. I've managed to find the apk file and install it on my nexus 7 but I need to deregister one of my other devices before I can test it. I googled light box apk and found it easy enough but if anyone wants me to send it to them just PM me the details of where to send it. Thanks for that info Dug :) I was only going by what was originally posted
my Galaxy tablet browser wont run Lightbox Personally dont have lightbox, got enough junk to watch with now ;) No need for more.

Lawrence
17-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Why not just Apple TV to watch on your TV?

Watching in bed, that will cost more

psycik
17-03-2015, 06:12 PM
There's no native app. So need Apple tv + iPad for lightbox.

psycik
17-03-2015, 06:14 PM
I'd imagine light box would fairly soon have a Panasonic app. Since netflix app will just appear 24 March, lightbox will need to move quick else everyone will jump ship

dugimodo
17-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Worth trying sideloading the apk, my 2012 nexus 7 is currently playing lightbox perfectly and is clearly not a supported samsung tablet.

plod
17-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Another cheap alternative would be a cheap samsung bluray player with the smart apps. I use my ipad2 with appletv or AirPlay from Mac to appletv.

CliveM
17-03-2015, 07:18 PM
I got around that problem by buying a cheap PS3 on Trademe. It does the job well.

Bryden
17-03-2015, 09:58 PM
This is all getting into the too hard basket... sigh... though there are a couple of shows which could be worth watching - "The Thick of It" for one.... Can I not install an app (either on my Galaxy or a new iPad) and watch Lightbox on that tablet without running through to a television? What other browser, if any, can I install on my Galaxy to trial - thus bypassing the need for the app perhaps? I have sent an email to the Lightbox Help desk asking if I can install an app on my Samsung tablet (Model GT-P7510) - and if I cannot, why not? So many toys, so little time.....

I do appreciate the advice given on this forum - thanks a lot.... Bryden

dugimodo
17-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Yes you can.

It won't work in a browser on an android tablet because there is no silverlight support in any android browsers. The app has been developed and tested for a small number of Galaxy tabs and if yours is one of them then search lightbox on the app store and you should find it easily. There is also an apple app so an iPad should be fine as well but not having one I don't know if there's any issues there.

Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nz.co.lightbox&hl=en
Apple https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/lightbox-nz/id893849629?mt=8

However if you want to avoid spending money there's a good chance your existing android tablet can do it even if they won't officially say so, you just have to install the .apk file manually and try it. It isn't difficult and I'm happy to e-mail you the file if you want to try it, just PM me an address. You just allow apps from non trusted sites in the settings temporarily and launch the file manually and it installs. It's hit and miss but if it doesn't work nothing lost and you just uninstall it.

wainuitech
17-03-2015, 10:34 PM
If your tablet is not listed here https://help.lightbox.co.nz/#/howto/install-the-lightbox-samsung-android-app then it may have to be done as per Dugs suggestion.

Like everything devices are outdated rather quickly these days, so if yours is older that could be why.

Bryden
18-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Have email chatted with a friend who has my previous iPad and she confirms she can just watch Lightbox on the iPad itself - or via HDMI cable on a television. I was in JB Hifi yesterday but they couldn't check an iPad out for me as their ISP is Australian and Lightbox is confined to NZ....

I don't mind spending the money for the iPad - at this mature end of my life I am fortunate enough to be able to have indulgences and new gadgets is one of them.... grin

18-03-2015, 09:24 AM
This is all getting into the too hard basket...

I can understand the confusion.
Lightbox really need to redesign their website to make all the setup info easy to find & understand

just what the heck is this gobbeldy gook supposed to mean, Mr Lightbox :-( .
"iPads using our Lightbox app and using Airplay and the Lightbox iPad app, you can also watch Lightbox through Apple TV"
How did that confusing fud get put onto a website , does no one proof read this stuff first ?

Heres some better setup info, with a list of compatible Samsung Tablets
https://help.lightbox.co.nz/#/howto/install-the-lightbox-samsung-android-app
https://help.lightbox.co.nz/#/howto/install-the-lightbox-ipad-app