PDA

View Full Version : Explorer gone.

Woody
16-03-2015, 09:45 AM
All apps go to windows media window. Won't allow me to restore to earlier time. Won't enter safe mode. All desktop icons now windows media. Fixit guy suggests virus going to complete reinstall. Costly. Any suggestions please. This post now by tablet. Piaggio

DeSade
16-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Not sure if this will work.
If you can get to your taskbar right click and open the Task Manager
Click on the New Task button
type explorer.exe

See if explorer will restart

Woody
16-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Thanks DS. Can't access task mgr either
Straight to win medksa
Tks again

DeSade
16-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Disable Media Player
Programmes and Features
Turn Windows Features on or off
Media Features/ Windows Media Player

Woody
16-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Tried but again straight to win media. Seems pretty terminal. Real pita.
Tks again

wainuitech
16-03-2015, 12:57 PM
All desktop icons now windows media. Fixit guy suggests virus going to complete reinstall If I read that right -- Is he serious ??

If all the icons are now showing as desktop media, the File associations have gone belly up, that's all. restore them, If the repair guy doesn't know how then he shouldn't be charging for fixing.

What was the cause -- Thats a different Matter.

Won't allow me to restore to earlier time Tried it with command prompt instead of the GUI which wont work.? If you reset the .exe back to its default it may open and work (GUI) What about refreshing windows ?

DeSade
16-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Looks like fixing it is out.
Try running a repair install from the windows disk.

dugimodo
16-03-2015, 03:09 PM
What version of windows? what happens when you right click the task bar to launch task manager as DeSade suggested? Tried ctrl-alt-del to bring up the dialog to launch task manager that way?

16-03-2015, 04:23 PM
If its a virus, then thats just one of the issues it will have, there will be more. Disabled system restore can also be a symptom of virus infections .
Sometimes it is quicker & easier to wipe & reload if the virus has made a mess of Windows.

wainuitech
16-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Sometimes it is quicker & easier to wipe & reload if the virus has made a mess of Windows. Sometimes that's true, BUT its only been mentioned
Fixit guy suggests virus How does he know, has it been tested for a Virus ?? There are LOTS of causes to whats happened, its all to easy for someone to say "its a virus" when in fact it can be something completely different, this usually happens when they don't have a clue as to how to fix it as its an easy out.

Had one the other week, all the signs pointed towards a corrupted operating system, Yet ANY fix, Scan repair tried said it was all OK, and no infections etc, the end result, reinstall -- "bingo" :yuck: -- 1 Failing component on the motherboard, nothing to do with corruptions.

The fact its trying to open in windows media on everything sounds like its file assignations, but whats caused it ? Personally I'd restore the defaults back and see what happens.

Woody
16-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I tried as many as I was able but NBG. I gave up and got the Fixit guy take it away. He tried many of your suggestions but said that he ha d never seen this before - anything using the operating system simply called up win media. Interesting thing - game of Wolfenstein ran OK. Poss because it runs using Steam ?
Thanks again to all.

wainuitech
17-03-2015, 08:06 AM
He tried many of your suggestions but said that he ha d never seen this before - anything using the operating system simply called up win media.Did he try merging the .bat reg / file association files back to originals ? They are a simple right click / Merge and they are restored, they WONT use the exe files that the system normally uses to run programs. Theres several programs about that can reset the whole lot at once or you can do them one at a time.

dugimodo
17-03-2015, 11:43 AM
Sometimes it is quicker & easier to wipe & reload if the virus has made a mess of Windows.

Yep, A friend of mine got suckered by one of those fake anti-viruses that take over your system. After half a day Scanning and cleaning etc I got it all functioning only to find I could not get the anti-virus to run again no matter what I did, ended up installing a new one and saying I'd come back another day to finish sorting it out as I was out of time. She'd had the thing less than a week and in hindsight I could have completely re-installed from scratch much quicker and easier. Of course it got stolen and I never did finish fixing it.

Actually some of the symptoms of that virus were quite similar, it blocked access to .exe files, any known anti-virus, windows explorer, system restore, etc. It allowed Internet explorer to run so it could extort money but that's about it. To fix it I had to rename MBAM to iexplorer.exe and run it in under safe mode with administrator rights and that just got rid of some of it to allow me to use other tools. I think I successfully removed it except some registry setting it'd changed that was blocking MSSE from functioning.

Kame
17-03-2015, 07:57 PM
I fixed this issue a year ago for a client but I have forgotten what steps I did. Trying to recall if it was a virus. Doesn't help that I've encountered a lot in that time.

From memory, rename media player, copy explorer.exe to its location as the media player exe, then install and run your updated antivirus.

I don't think it was that simple though.

Cheers,

KK

Kame
17-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Sorry, just remembered the fix but it may not be your issue. I recall this was a file association problem with .lnk or shortcut files, that were associated to media player. This required getting a registry file of the defaults to merge and fix it. So may not be related to the above issue.

Cheers,

KK

wainuitech
17-03-2015, 08:45 PM
The problem is often caused by a person clicking something they shouldn't have, or a program is installed that went wrong.

If you do a google search for "windows 7 all programs open with windows media player" You'll get pages of answers, all saying the same fix.

Often takes less than 15 minutes to fix, and most of the time its nothing to do with viruses. No reinstall required.