PDA

View Full Version : Internet page scroll

Tbird650
15-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Hi
I'm having an issue with my W7 IE11. Certain pages like Ebay and Facebook are slow to scroll through. My thought is that because these two sites have lots of graphics it might be a factor. Physically I have to slow down the speed at which I scroll so the page can 'catch up'. This makes the page loading kind of jerky as wait for the lower page section to appear.
A possibility could be internet speed so I tested it. Result 34down /10up. Of course it could be an international problem with both sites being US based. Trademe performs relatively well.
Also possible cause is my older graphics card. It's a Nvidia 8600GT, Speccy reports it as 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT. Wiki advises it as 2007 release.

I installed Chrome as a means of eliminating possible causes. It performs slightly better but the issue is still evident.

I have the latest graphic drivers from Nvidia. W7 is updated with all critical and important.

Edit: I'm installing the latest Java as I write.

Currently I enabled enhanced protected mode which I read installs 64bit IE11. This made no improvement. I note that Manage add-ons reports some Java items as incompatible.
No doubt IE11 64bit is a topic all on its' own..

Any thoughts please. Am I due for a hardware upgrade? Thanks.

PC spec:
AMD Phenom II x4 920
6G DDR2
M4A78Pro
Samsung SSD 840 EVO
1TB Sata WD HDD
Nvidia 8600GT
64bit SP1 W7

Tbird650
16-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Some more parts of the puzzle..
Twin LCD monitors.
The pages that scroll slowly also take longer to quit out of. There is a noticeable lag when closing out.

dugimodo
16-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Your machine may be old but it should not have an issue with web browsing with those specs. What anti-virus or anti-malware software do you use? this can effect browsing sometimes. You could try a linux live CD to see if that works, if it browses fine then it's a software issue of some kind. I do notice slight graphical glitching when scrolling under linux but otherwise it's quite good running off a flash drive.

By way of comparison we have a machine here at work running Ubuntu on a pentium 4 with 512 MB of RAM and onboard graphics which can scroll perfectly smoothly on facebook and E-bay no problem at all on a shared 3mbit ADSL connection.

You could try speedtest again and try some US based sites to see what the international speed of your ISP is.

16-03-2015, 04:14 PM
try running internet explorer in clean mode
http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN265764/EN
or reset IE (control panel, internet, advanced, reset)

what is your DNS, at a commnd prompt (start, run, cmd) type in ipconfig/all

you could have hijacked browsers, 3rd party firewall issues, AV browser plugin issues

Your PC hardware is more than adequate, its about 5x what Im using now.

Tbird650
16-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the thoughts.
Antivirus is MSE and Malwarebytes free.
Good idea re Linux trial as comparison.

Speedtest on international speed checkers showed 8mb - 15mb down.
Clean mode appears to the no-add-ons mode. I had already tried that. There was no improvement.

DNS is a good thought. I have it on Spark settings. I've swapped to Google DNS but the issue continues.

What other extra malware/AV program would be recommended at this stage, for this set of circumstances?

The look of the issue is suggestive that the data isn't able to come down the pipe fast enough but it doesn't explain why the browser page lags slightly when trying to close it out. Same for the fact that IE will report as "not responding" at times. I need to get a comparison with another PC or OS and narrow it down that way.

wainuitech
16-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Googles DNS should be fine.

Check you dont have any programs installed like some sort of safe browser -- They scan pages while loading and can be a PITA as they slow things right down.

Have you tried running Ccleaner and removing all the temp internet rubbish, a build up Will slow pages.

You can also try flushing your DNS, that sometimes can cause problems.

Click the Start button.
Enter cmd in the Start menu search text box.
Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
Run the following command and press Enter: ipconfig /flushdns

"Sometimes" this can also cause a problem, IPv6 so disable it.

Go into your Control Panel / Network and Sharing / Top Left, Change Adapter Settings / Right click the Network Connection / Properties/ Untick IPv6.

If it were only in chrome, sometimes Hardware Acceleration can make things slow.

Tbird650
17-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Tried a few things...
Ubuntu live CD running Firefox.
Check for programs that scan websites, looking in Ccleaner/tools.
Flushdns
Disable ipv6

Part of the problem might be the specific page I'm loading on Ebay. It's a 5 wide gallery view of favorite searches. Each pic is its' own link to the item for sale. The further scrolling down the page, the worse the lagging gets. There's that dreaded cart-wheel type symbol spinning. Frustrating when you just want to get to the item at the bottom of the page.

Some things that might be clues...
There's a Windows optional update for AMD SATA Controller available, but if I install that it blue screens and I need do a system restore. It's dated March 2013. Possibly this has some tie or something to do with the SSD fitted some months back?
I wonder if I'm expecting too much from busy websites that are laden with graphics, video and Ads as both FB and Ebay are. By comparison TM loads just 24 items per page on gallery view.

Of things tried above, Ubuntu with FF was the only thing that showed improvement. A trial replicating the issue on my old dualcore XP lappy, gave a worse result.

Is MSE and Malwarebyte scans enough of a sweep out to get all the crapware??

I did have Bitdefender installed at one stage. Could leftover program fragment be a problem?

Thanks, comments appreciated.

Kame
17-03-2015, 06:26 PM
How much RAM? How much is being used in total and how much by IE? Also, how much CPU is being used when loading the page?

This could determine a memory leak or a heavily processing site. The fact that it seems to take a while to close sounds like a possibility with high memory or CPU usage.

Check IE settings, maybe default it all and test it out.

I don't know if IE has something like firebug, but you need to test if anything that's loading on that site is bottlenecking the page from loading. As it could delay the site until a script has loaded first.

There could be a lot of external sites, scripts etc being used that could be slowing the loading time. If possible, turn off/disable images and JavaScript and see if that improves it. Some of these scripts may only affect IE as well.

If there's improvements, I suggest getting a script blocker, that you can select which scripts not to load. So you can make sure the site will load correctly and not load things not required.

You may also need to test your connection to the site, just to eliminate that you're not reaching it via a slow route.

I'm just wondering if anyone else could confirm your problem on W7 IE11.

Cheers,

KK

dugimodo
17-03-2015, 06:47 PM
try the free online scanner here http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Trademe was designed to run well on slow connections originally and though it's grown and changed a bit it still tends to be one of the quicker sites of it's type so it's not really a fair comparison.

Tbird650
24-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks. I tried most of the tips. I can confirm the CPU is spiked when scrolling up to 60%. Online Eset virus scan turned up nothing.

I have been able to improve the page scroll by using a different landing page on Ebay. This reduces the number of images/auctions to 25 per loaded page.
Facebook gave an improvement by reducing the number of things the page was being requested to do, for example auto-play on videos. Basically I got into the settings and hacked anything I didn't want or need.

In summary it appears my Ebay and FB were trying to load up more than my CPU could reasonably handle. I note that some FB settings like the auto-play video had been mysteriously added at some stage. This was presumably with a FB update.

I post today with this info in the hope it helps others with any similar problem.

24-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Try Firefox instead of IE, install adblocker addon
Also , choose you home page wisely, pages with alot of images/vids/adverts will be slower .

IE can be a pig on some websites compared to Firefox with adblocker enabled