PDA

View Full Version : Line speed problem

mzee
15-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Recently changed to Actrix VDSL. For the the first 3 weeks the Down speed was 18-20 Mbps. Line speed 23Mbps (on the modem). Then the line speed & VDSL speed dropped to 7.65 Mbps and have remained there ever since. The strange thing is that the ping rate remains the same, and the signal is smooth, so hardly tell the difference. I think if it was a bad line connection the speed would fluctuate. and the test graph would be spikey. I will try another Modem over the weekend, and if its no better a may ask Chorus to check the line. Actrix have checked at their end and found nothing wrong.

Any ideas?

Chilling_Silence
15-03-2015, 07:45 PM
It's called "DLM" - Dynamic Line Management. The DSLAM (Cabinet / Exchange) determines your line conditions unstable, due to either disconnections, errors etc, and so it fluffs around with the DSL profile you use.

dugimodo
15-03-2015, 09:03 PM
You could try resetting the router to see if it'll reconnect faster, sometimes though you need to power it right down and unplug the line cable for a while to force it to retrain to the line. DLM does do what Chill says but I'd have expected it to have settled down before 3 weeks were up? Not sure on that count I don't deal with it regularly and forget the details. In any case a drop from 20+ to < 8 is fairly significant and basically means you are getting little or no benefit from VDSL (even my ADSL2+ connection was around 14-16Mb). If it is DLM it may speed things up again as randomly as it dropped them.

Have you made any changes at your end? put any devices that might interfere near the wall jack or router etc? moved the routers physical location? I'd talk to your ISP some more if you can't find an obvious cause. Do you know your distance for the exchange or can you post the line stats from your router ? It could just be that you are a bit far from the cabinet and there's too much noise and loss on the line to maintain a stable connection at your initial speed but it could also be that something has gone wrong, we have just started getting rain after a long dry spell which is a recipe for cable faults. Do you have a landline and how doe sit sound if so ?

mzee
16-03-2015, 10:35 AM
[[ It could just be that you are a bit far from the cabinet and there's too much noise and loss on the line to maintain a stable connection at your initial speed but it could also be that something has gone wrong, we have just started getting rain after a long dry spell which is a recipe for cable faults. Do you have a landline and how doe sit sound if so ? ]]
I don't think it is a cable problem, the signal is smooth and seems to have a large Bandwidth. Had 3 computers on it last night with no noticeable difference. It probably is "DLM" but why they should fiddle is beyond me. It was still stable & smooth when it had a line speed of 23Mbps. Maybe a slower line is a trade off for a wider band? We don't have a phone, Naked VDSL.

mzee
16-03-2015, 05:41 PM
The problem turned out to be with the INNBOX modem/router which had suddenly refused to go any faster than 7.65 Mbps.
Have set up a Dray Tek V130 modem and everything is normal again, except it gets quite hot. I may try updating the firmware in the INNBOX and see what happens. I could not get the Dray Tek to work until I updated the firmware. It refused to remember my settings.

mzee
17-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Does anyone have firmware for the InnBox V50u VDSL Wireless Router? It is out of production and there doesn't seem to be any support for it in Slovenia where it came from.