PDA

View Full Version : Drive letter query

linw
14-03-2015, 09:01 PM
About to clone a 500GB system drive to a new 1TB drive and I want to keep the old C: in the case as a backup drive. I don't want to immediately wipe the old drive till all happy that the new drive is fine and dandy.

Just a little cautious with drive lettering. I intend first booting with only the new drive installed to establish the C: setting on the new drive but after that, will Vista happily assign another letter to the old drive when it is installed (don't want no C: lettering conflict!).

wainuitech
14-03-2015, 09:37 PM
If you have a working drive ( new one) and its a clone of the old, it will boot as Drive C. If attaching the old drive, as long as the New drive is the first Boot drive, it will remain as C, the old drive will show as E, F, G etc depending on what other devices / drives are attached. Eg: Optical Drive D then the next drive letter will E.

If the New Drive is disconnected, and the old one will now boot as before - C with Optical D etc.

It all depends on which drive is designated as the 1st Boot Hard Drive in the BIOS. Which ever is first will be C and the other will change.

linw
14-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Was thinking/hoping it would go like that. Makes huge sense - just wanted to be sure.

Cheers and thanks.