PDA

View Full Version : Connect to TV?

Winston001
14-03-2015, 12:35 AM
So there are still many non-smart tvs and I'm wondering about the best way of connecting to the internet (through modem/router) or directly from device - pc, tablet, smart phone. No Apple.

The Chromecast USB device looks clever but then my brother-in-law was talked into buying some wireless HDMI device which connected to the tv. Needless to say I was out of the house at the time.

The urgency was to be able to broadcast the SKY cricket NZ v OZ match on the big screen. SKY is on the net for subscribers.

None geeks and big fail.

So, connect via modem to a USB stick on the TV set, or to a connected HDMI device directly from the pc, phone etc? What is the best option?

Kame
14-03-2015, 01:45 AM
I'm using an apple TV gen 2, but I'm using it to stream my movies from my computer to the tv via WiFi, its jail broken and lacks a web browser, so not ideal for getting live streams.

There's the android box with built I freeview, not sure of it capabilities but wishing I got that instead as it seemed better feature wise.

I've also got a Chromecast but its still in its box, haven't tried it and not sure what its capable of.

I use my laptop, HDMI to HDMI for live streaming from the net and its more versatile but possibly overkill in your situation?

Other than that, anything that would give you a browser hopefully would work.

Cheers,

KK