PDA

View Full Version : Laptop getting hot.

Neil F
08-03-2015, 01:05 PM
I have an HP610 laptop ruining Win 7 64 bit. I bought it in 2010.
The only hardware change since then is a new hard disk in 2013 replacing a failed one.
I am not a "gamer" . and mostly use it on a desk at home.
Recently it is heating up on left side (power connection side ) and (I think). fan is noisier.

Guidance please . Can/should I get a new fan--if suitable model still available?
The alternative is buy a cooler pad. The reviews I read seemed to surest cooler pads were for gaming laptops.

Suggestions please.

thanks

Neil

dugimodo
08-03-2015, 01:26 PM
It may need the intake vents and cooling fan and heatsinks cleaned, dust & fluff accumulates in there over time and can cause issues.
Getting at them to clean it can be quite a mission though, if you don't want to disassemble the laptop you may want to find a tech to do it for you. It's not a great Idea to force air through them as it can damage the fan and blow stuff into places it wouldn't normally go but if you want to try that a couple of short bursts might dislodge the worst of it.

If the fan has failed yes you should be able to get a replacement, but it may just be clogged. If you google your model there are likely youtube videos for pulling it apart and cleaning it if you want to try yourself. I avoid laptops myself, not my favourite thing to work on.

wainuitech
08-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Adding to Dugs post, heres a strip-down Video for the HP610 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLGuHEPGTpk At about 2.50 you can see the fan, at this point you'll be able to inspect it to see whats what. At about 8.0 you can see the whole fan and the cooling fins which will more than likely be full of dust /dirt / Fluff etc. At 9.25 you remove the Fan / Heat sink to clean fully. AFTER that you don't need to remove anything else -- Once clean or fan replaced reassemble in the reverse order -- all going well it will start up again.

Other wise get a tech in your area to do it, it will cost but better than stuffing it completely if you do something wrong ;)

Had a few calls from people saying they stripped their laptops to fix and now they wont go. :groan:

Driftwood
08-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Ha ha, do you offer to fix them?

wainuitech
08-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Of Course -- At a cost :) But they then realise they may have done some damage to the Motherboard or some other component. "Sometimes" its because they have not reassembled them correctly.

Had one lady a few months back saying her sons laptop wont go after he stripped it and could I have a look ---- he had a few screws left over, but the cause was he had damaged the Motherboard, I was quoted a price from my supplier for a new board, then add in my labour cost ----- Still cheaper than a new one.

pctek
08-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Probably sucked in a lot of fluff and dust by now.
Take the top off and vacuum it out.

wainuitech
08-03-2015, 02:32 PM
:eek: Playing with fire using a vacuum cleaner.

MANY people dont know a household vacuum cleaner can stuff their computers. Some do it and have no problems -- Others -- Have a read ( saves writing it all out) why-you-should-never-vacuum-your-pc (http://www.howtogeek.com/57870/ask-how-to-geek-why-you-should-never-vacuum-your-pc-converting-books-for-the-kindle-and-controlling-multiple-computers-with-one-keyboard/) as well from a gamer site, same advise should-i-vacuum-my-pc-ask-pc-gamer/ (http://www.pcgamer.com/should-i-vacuum-my-pc-ask-pc-gamer/) AND it does happen -- Seen it myself.

Tbird650
08-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Once it's cleaned, get yourself an old meal-serving-tray to sit the laptop on. Every time a laptop is used on a bed,,, the carpet,,, the couch etc, they suck tiny amounts of fluff into the cpu cooler.
It accumulates and accumulates. The build up gets so thick it resembles a piece of felt material.
Using the tray reduces the lint and dust going into the cpu cooler so for a small investment from a $2 shop of a serving tray you could save a hundy repair bill.

pctek
09-03-2015, 07:26 AM
:eek: Playing with fire using a vacuum cleaner.

MANY people dont know a household vacuum cleaner can stuff their computers. .

Really.
Never have I ever had static off a vacuum cleaner.

And in any case, you leave the PC plugged in...off, of course. Then it's earthed. Of course.

blanco
09-03-2015, 08:03 AM
Really.
Never have I ever had static off a vacuum cleaner.

And in any case, you leave the PC plugged in...off, of course. Then it's earthed. Of course.

Many plastic products store static, including nylon clothing, just waiting to discharge . I have worked
in electronics manufacturing as a tech manager and have known many chips to have been destroyed
at the sub-assembly stage due to long sleeved garments worn by the girls on the assembly line.
Such was the failure rate that I introduced and insisted on the wearing of clip-on earthed wristbands
which solved the problem.
You say that the PC is earthed but that is irrelevant. The plastic suction cleaner nozzle is Not earthed
and can too easily discharge to a motherboard component. Read what Wainui posted.

dugimodo
09-03-2015, 10:48 AM
+1 for Blanco.

I despair of the rampant lack of understanding of static and the damage it can do even among qualified techs. Coming from the telecommunications industry and having handled circuit boards worth more than my annual salary I've had the anti-static message drummed home. I do use a vacuum cleaner on some of my crappy older machines occasionally - but on blow from a distance and using a metal extension. I bought it from bunnings for $60 just for that reason. I probably wouldn't use it on my current gaming machine I spent a lot of money on though.

Another annoyance, how many times have you seen a motherboard or graphics card listed for sale and the photo shows it sitting on top of an anti-static bag. Just don't do that. The outside of the bag is just plastic and can be statically charged itself, the inside has a metal coating. You'd be better off on a piece of cardboard honestly although that's not great either at least it's not as prone to static as plastic.

You get a lot of arguments along the lines of "I've been doing it this way for xx years and never had a problem". Well all it takes is one fried motherboard or graphics card once and it's worth years of taking precautions to avoid. What a lot of people don't realise is many times static does very minor damage and can cause those weird intermittent issues that you can never quite pin down. People often blame problems on a manufacturer or faulty part without ever considering they may have zapped it while handling.

Earth yourself and if possible your work surface, wear a wrist strap, never put a plastic vacuum cleaner nozzle anywhere near sensitive equipment, avoid touching circuitry and hold the metal/plastic bits whenever possible, and you'll find it's really not much effort at all to completely take the risk of static damage out of the equation so why take the chance? For a really dirty PC I will remove the motherboard/CPU/RAM and vacuum/blow out the case and fans/ filters etc before putting them back in.

Neil F
09-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Many thanks for the comments especially Wainuitech.
I think I'll head to a Tech to do it for me.as it is a laptop.

Nota computing matter but as a parallel I always use Armstrong Locksmiths for key cutting. They say they get a lot of business fixing or replacing locks
from keys cut by "el cheapo" places