PDA

View Full Version : Best android smartphone for under $150

wratterus
06-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Looking for a friend - just wants something cheap, but as un-crappy as possible. Is on Skinny.

I see the Galaxy Ace 4 Lite is around $120, but only has a single core processor. There is a Huawei for $139 that is spec'd a lot better, but are they any good?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

paulw
06-03-2015, 11:09 AM
See if you can pick up a first gen Moto G..

wratterus
06-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Funny you say that, it was my first thought too but never pursued it.... I will have a look on TradeMe.

Edit - there are none. Bummer.

06-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Looking for a friend - just wants something cheap, but as un-crappy as possible. Is on Skinny.

I see the Galaxy Ace 4 Lite is around $120, but only has a single core processor. There is a Huawei for $139 that is spec'd a lot better, but are they any good?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I had an older version Ace. It was OK. Single core : who cares, just meant it struggled with some games. There are allways tradeoffs with the cheapies.
I would go for a large screen single core over a small screen dual/quad any day.

Nick G
06-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Moto E, there's no front camera and the rear camera is terrible, to the point where I don't know why they bothered; I think a terrible front camera is more useful than a terrible rear camera.

Apart from that it's actually pretty nice!

Yea, it's currently selling for $199, but I picked one up for $122 last week, and a couple of weeks before it was $156, so you can definitely get it cheap if you look around.

Edit - any reason it has to be Android? Any apps he needs that are only on Android? The budget Windows Phones are pretty good and normally very well priced.

wratterus
06-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys, I did notice the Moto E - doesn't seem to be anywhere that have it on special at the moment but will keep an eye out. I did think about a windows phone, my mate is not exactly the most tech savvy person, and re-learning a phone probably wouldn't be up his alley haha.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Got a Windows phone here, (the 820), it's not too bad....Sis in oz sent it over. Didn't think it'd work since it's an Optus phone. But chucked a sim in it and it was all go

Pretty easy to use and at least its got a bit of space on it. And by the looks of it you can transfer any app over to an sd card. One thing you cant do with Android. Unless you root the phone

Only thing with this Lumia is I dont think you can put Windows Phone 10 on it.

wratterus
09-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Ended up finding a HTC Desire 310 for half price - $125. Pretty good deal for what it is.