PDA

View Full Version : New HP Battery not charging

bk T
03-03-2015, 06:21 PM
Bought a brand new battery from eBay and it arrived this afternoon, inserted the battery, power up and Win7 starts up OK. But, wait, the battery is only < half charged, (expected), my A/C Adapter is plugged in but there's no sign of charging.

Do you think it's compatibility (battery) problem?

wainuitech
03-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Find out if its the battery or charger.

With the laptop OFF, remove the battery completely, plug in the charger, Start Laptop, as long as the charger is working the Laptop will fire up normally.

bk T
03-03-2015, 09:15 PM
After some thorough 'investigation', I'm convinced that it's the battery:

1. It doesn't fit in to the laptop 'properly' ( I got to use a bit of force to push it in).
2. When the A/C adapter is plugged in, there is an indicator showing it is on Power and as soom as this battery is inserted, the light goes OFF, and no charging light comes ON as shown below:

6254 - from the user manual

3. I still have my old battery with me and it works as described in the above snapshot - only thing is, it discharges pretty quickly - less than 30 mins.

wainuitech
03-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Number 1 sounds a bit suspect. A battery should "snap" in without much or little force applied.

I assume the original battery snaps in easier ? If so thats how the replacement should as well.

bk T
03-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Yup, the original snaps in very nicely with very little force.

Alex B
03-03-2015, 11:47 PM
Is the HP Part number the same for both batteries? Are you on the latest BIOS version for your laptop?

bk T
04-03-2015, 07:47 AM
1. The seller's (eBay) site has the matching HP Part # but the battery itself hasn't got the number printed on it.
2. Haven't checked the BIOS version. Will check it later.

tweak'e
04-03-2015, 09:49 AM
is there a date of manufacture on the battery?

bk T
04-03-2015, 10:03 AM
There's no manufacture date on it.

Just used a magnifying glass to read all those 'fine' prints and actually found the part number - but only to find that it's different from the part number advertised. The seller must have sent me the wrong item!!

Will contact eBay for a full refund.

gary67
04-03-2015, 06:46 PM
I had this recently with trademe, bought a battery for my HP mini, picture and part number on TM matched mine, received a different battery completely different shape and seller tried to tell me several times despite me sending a photo of them side by side that it would fit.

Eventually I returned it for a full refund since it wasn't the right battery

bk T
04-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Mine looks 'quite' identical to the original but it doesn't fit in to the battery compartment nicely.

So, you returned it for a full refund, you paid for the postage?

gary67
05-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Got that back too.

bk T
05-03-2015, 07:53 AM
That sounds more like it.

That's the problem with buying on-line - you don't know exactly what you are buying, untill you open up the parcel.