PDA

View Full Version : can't access some websites

Mike
25-02-2015, 06:32 PM
For the past week we have been unable to connect to some websites at home. This is from a number of devices (wireless and wired) and the PC. I've tried changing DNS servers and restarted all and everything, but still no change. If I switch phones to 3g rather than wifi they connect fine. Seems to be affecting a range of different websites, including Twitter (but not PressF1 or Facebook). Seems we can also connect to mobile.twitter.com too (just tried it from the PC) :)

Any suggestions what the cause might be and how to fix? Or is this likely to be ISP issue I need to contact them about?

Cheers,
Mike.

nmercer
25-02-2015, 11:53 PM
I'm not a mind reader - what operating system? And also can you connect over ip rather than name?

Mike
26-02-2015, 06:21 AM
I'm not a mind reader - what operating system? And also can you connect over ip rather than name?I wouldn't think my OS was relevant since this occurs with whatever device I use - PC, phone, tablet etc. - so don't think it's device related. PC is running Windows 10 build 9926. Phones/tablets are all Androids 4.1-4.2.

How do I find the correct IP to use? If I try twitter.com the browser tries to do something (says it's connecting, things spinning etc.), if I try the IP I get from a ping or whois on twitter.com the browser does nothing.

Cheers,
Mike.

26-02-2015, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't think my OS was relevant since this occurs with whatever device I use - PC, phone, tablet etc.

... If I switch phones to 3g rather than wifi they connect fine...

Since it works on 3g, its quite likely to be an issue with the ISP...or the DNS servers you are using.

Try using googles DNS & see if that helps : 8.8.8.8
Also check that your router hasnt been hacked (unlikely though)

What DNS are you using?
in a dos box (run: cmd) type in ipconfig /all

inphinity
26-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Is your ISP Vodafone?

Mike
26-02-2015, 04:30 PM
Since it works on 3g, its quite likely to be an issue with the ISP...or the DNS servers you are using.

Try using googles DNS & see if that helps : 8.8.8.8
Also check that your router hasnt been hacked (unlikely though)

What DNS are you using?
in a dos box (run: cmd) type in ipconfig /allI use a smart DNS service (like unblock-us etc). If I switch to using my ISP's DNS it's still the same result. I'll try Google's later and post back.

Is your ISP Vodafone?No, VDSL on Slingshot currently. Switching to fibre on another ISP soon. Was trying to hold out until then (to see if new ISP and router etc. solved it) but just heard yesterday there was going to be a delay

Cheers,
Mike.

Chilling_Silence
26-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Takes 1-3 months usually for UFB installs.

Sounds like a router issue. What model?

Mike
27-02-2015, 05:07 PM
after a few more restarts and changing DNS (and back) I'm able to get to some websites I couldn't before (ie twitter... does anyone actually use that? :) ) but still not others... I'll try fiddling around with stuff on the weekend and see what happens.

Router is the VB104W VDSL router that Slingshot hands out... don't know anything about it and there's not much info on the web that I can find. It does that job (most of the time) if I leave it alone

Fibre install booked for 27 March so not that long to wait :)

Cheers,
Mike.

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2015, 06:57 PM
Hahaha yeah thats the Energy Imports router. They tried to get me to sell those routers, so they sent me one to test, it shat bricks in a variety of ways. They sent me another and it too also shat bricks...

Told them I'd send them back, they never got back in touch with me after that :P

Change the DNS on your PC, force it to use 8.8.4.4 directly, rather than your router. See if that makes a difference.

Mike
03-03-2015, 06:53 PM
alright finally got back to this problem... I've tried setting DNS to auto, ISP's DNS, Google's DNS etc. etc. and none of these seem to make any difference.

So I'm guessing it is probably the Slingshot VDSL router I've got that's the problem, so (unless I can find someone I can borrow one from for a month) I'll just have to put up with it until the end of the month when I get the fibre turned on (hopefully that's not delayed). Just seems weird there are a handful of websites we just can't get to but don't seem to be any valid reason why it's those ones in particular.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Cheers,
Mike.

Chilling_Silence
04-03-2015, 01:50 AM
I've got a spare Innbox router I could always ship you for a few weeks if you wanted?
Who you signing up with for UFB?

Mike
10-03-2015, 05:29 PM
I've got a spare Innbox router I could always ship you for a few weeks if you wanted?
Who you signing up with for UFB?ooh yes please :) it's starting to get unbearable lol

My Republic... I hope they're good

Cheers,
Mike.

Chilling_Silence
10-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Uhhh yeah I looked at signing up with them to wholesale them, had a bad experience... Decided against it.

Was in PBTech the other day talking with one of the sales team, they sell them, apparently they have disconnection issues all the time, just like drop-outs for no good reason. He was saying they get them in the store, he gets them at home, 4-5x a day :-/ Good luck with them is all I'll say :P

Mike
10-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Uhhh yeah I looked at signing up with them to wholesale them, had a bad experience... Decided against it.

Was in PBTech the other day talking with one of the sales team, they sell them, apparently they have disconnection issues all the time, just like drop-outs for no good reason. He was saying they get them in the store, he gets them at home, 4-5x a day :-/ Good luck with them is all I'll say :Plol... hopefully different city = different experience :) one can only hope

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
28-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Fibre up-and-running now :) things seem to be working alright so far... only been about 24 hours so far though :) websites working too :D

Cheers,
Mike.

Chilling_Silence
29-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Nice, glad to hear it :)